Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fuschia care in a temperate climate

Posted by desertratnquito (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 9:34

Saludos a todos! I live in Quito, Ecuador and bought my first fuchsia last fall; now I need a little advice on fertilizing/pruning it in this city of eternal spring. Although our elevation is roughly 2850m (9300'), our location on the Equator keeps the temps moderate year round, with exactly 12 hours of daylight every day. Temps range from 8-10C(45-50F)at night to 20-22C(68-72F)during the day year-round. We have two seasons--rainy and dry (we are currently in dry, though with some showers).

The fuchsia's blooms are now spent and the foliage sparse. I checked the FAQs and understand HOW to prune, but am not sure WHEN since we have no seasons. I'm guessing now, as it's done blooming? Since it doesn't need overwintering, I would like to get it blooming again, so: bright room exposure? shady side of the terrace? I've kept it inside for the color so far. Thanks for your advice; please feel free to add anything else I should know for this climate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fuschia care in a temperate climate

My place is next to the Equator too but I am on sea level so my climate is on the hot side. Like yours we only have hot and rainy seasons while the temperature is quite constant at 28C to 34C.

The flowers grow on new shoots, so I guess you can prune it now to encourage new growths and therefore more blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here