Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayne_08

Root bound fuchsia?

jayne_08
15 years ago

Hi all you gardeners,

I received two fuchsia hanging baskets for mothers day and have seen one basket go from good to bad, read on here that it might be mites from hummers(which I have a bunch of them) so I sprayed them with a insecticidal soap and it has seemed to halt the brown leaves.

But the one basket doesn't seem to be doing well still. The vines are thin with leaves (anorexic)

I was thinking that it might be root bound.

My question is How do you know when the fuchsia has become to big for the pot? How big of a pot should I go?

Another question i have wondered about it that they came in the cardboard, verigated looking pots,almost like the ones that you could plant in the ground and it would decompose?

Is this pot ok to plant in or should I change it to a plastic one?

Comments (5)

• rita_h
    15 years ago

If the fuchsias were overwintered from last year they could be rootbound, but if they were purchased commercially this year, I doubt they are rootbound already. I usually plant 3 seedlings (from 1" pots) into each 12-inch hanging basket in the spring and they are good to go for the rest of the year.

Make sure your basket is draining well -- sometimes there's only one hole at the bottom and it gets plugged up. If you pour a gallon of water in, a significant amount should drip out the bottom. If it doesn't, poke thru the bottom drain hole(s) with your finger or a stick to try to clear the blockage until it drains. A water-logged fuchsia won't be too happy.

The cardboard pot is fine for a season but it dries out faster than plastic so it requires more watering. The frequency of watering depends on your growing conditions -- humidity, amount of light, etc.

Fuchsias are heavy feeders and bloom on new growth. I have my fuchsias where they get about half sun/shade and fertilize about every 2nd watering (more often if I can). On cool days, I water every 2-3 days. On hot days in the summer, they need watering every day, sometimes twice a day.

• davew
    15 years ago

hi it sounds like to me that your plant has got wind burn which will turn the leaves brown spray with water this will help or mix some epsom salts in with your next feed this will bring the colour back to the leaves the second basket sounds like you need to nip the tops out to make it bush out more as rita says be carfull with the watwer to mutch is worse than to little i would not think that they are pot bound as these are new plants best of luck

• jayne_08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi and thank you guys.

Dave~ I am a bit confused by what you are saying about nipping the tops out?
    LOL how do I go about doing this?

There isn't any new growth on top. Just the existing vines.
    Should I be "nipping" these existing long vines?

Rita~ Thank you for the heads up on the drainage. It does only have One drain hole. I thought about poking a few more in there just to be on the safe side.
    Thanks again for all your help.

• rita_h
    15 years ago

Nipping or pinching means cutting the ends of the new growth, which could happen pretty much anywhere on the plant. For seedlings, the newest growth typically occurs at the "tops" of the plant; for trailing fuchsias in baskets, it is also at the end of each of the "vines".

Nipping or pinching a stem makes the plant branch into 2 or 3 stems at that point, resulting in a bigger, bushier plant. It will delay flowering, though, because you'll have to wait for the plant to make the new branches, but in the long run, more branches mean more flowers.

Use your fingertips or pruners to pinch or cut off the tops or tips down to right before a set of 2 or 3 leaves. You might see tiny leaves already there where the big leaves attach to the stem. Be careful not to damage them because they are the new growth points.

Fertilize afterwards to encourage new growth. (I use a balanced 20-20-20 fertilizer.)

• jayne_08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Rita. I did what you said in nipping. It already looks better than having all those gangly long vines with no leaves on it.

We had a windstorm the other day and before I could get outside to bring the plants down to saftey, the wind did some nipping for me. Found flowers and vines all over the place. *sigh*..

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio