Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrev_gw

Fuschia tree Western WA

jrev
17 years ago

I purchased a Fuschia a couple weeks ago from Costco. I have never had good luck with fuschia I don't really know what they need to be happy plants.

I have placed this fuschia on my front porch which receives sun late in the day, western exposure. My back porch gets more sun morning through noon and I worry that it might be too hot back there for this plant with its eastern exposure.

It has very droopy yellow leaves so we transplanted from a wooden pot into a plastic pot and added some alfalfa meal to the soil but it does not seem to be doing any better.

I love fuschias and am determined to find the right spot for this plant without going broke first. help!

Comments (4)

• zzepherdogg
    17 years ago

HI, One mistake that I have made is over watering them. This is tricky. It is true that they like to be moist, they do not however like to be soggy. The amount of heat and sun they can tolerate depends on the type, and how they are planted. Some types, in the ground can take lots of it, others can not. Here in the pacific northwest, it seems more likly that your problem would be over watering than heat. When you think its time to water, dig around in the side of the pot a little bit, better yet, if you leave the plant in the largest black nursery pot youcan fit inside the decorative one you want people to see, you could look at the holes around the bottom and touch the soil with your finger, if its soggy and heavy wet, DONT water it more. let it get a little dryer. they cant dry out completely, but if there is any moisture at all it wont die right away, unless its too hot(90'direct sun 2hours or more)so if it were mine, I would make sure the soil was moist, not soggy, light, and rich, not packed in. if you find out what type it is, chances are some one could tell you how much sun it could take. The people at "Northwest Fuchsia Society" are pretty nice about answering email, and will help if they have the answer. Another thing to try would be to go to a nursery that specializes in fuchsias and get an easy starter one, June Bride is real good, also Dark eyes, and Lena, The group I mentioned has a list of hardy ones that might be in colors you like. Every one who collects this plant looses a few, but sooner or later, you have to build more shelves for your collection, so hang in there. Hope this helps, and good luck. :)

• crazyforcorelli
    17 years ago

Like zzepherdogg, IÂd also look into watering. IÂve killed plenty of fuchsia from both over- and under-watering. It doesnÂt sound like youÂre under-watering to me, though; from my experience, they die quickly (like in a day) if they get too dry.

IÂd follow the advice given above, and also make sure you have good drainage. (I always use terra cotta post, because of the porousness.) If the excess water canÂt drain out of the pot, then the plant will drown.

If the watering scenario doesnÂt appear to be the problem, then IÂd suggest moving the plant. In my experience, the "shade" requirements of fuchsia are greatly overstated, esp. in northern climes. Also, afternoon sun is actually more intense than morning sun; thus your back porch may be "gentler" on the plant, even if it receives more hours of light in that location.

Finally, in my experience, fuchsia can take some heat. (They may not thrive, but donÂt get sickly.) July and August in the Salt Lake Valley usually has temperatures in the upper 90s and even over 100, but my fuchsias do just fine. WeÂre very dry here, though. You have more humidity in Washington, so I donÂt know if the temperature/humidity combination makes a difference.

• jrev
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for all your advice. I have cut back on watering and I am seeing some new growth.

• Patrick888
    17 years ago

I agree that most fuchsias are happier with morning sun than afternoon sun. Good bright light helps with flower production, but direct sun for hours on summer afternoons is too harsh for many of them.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting