Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysbelle_gw

Gartenmeister propagation

kaysbelle
18 years ago

A friend of mine gave me two stems of her gartenmeister. What is the best way to root these stems. Also can someone tell me the hardiness zone of the gartenmeister. Thanks for all your help.

Comments (14)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    18 years ago

Hi Kaysbelle,'
    By 2 stems if you mean semi-ripe wood, make a nice straight cut with a sharp knife at the bottom of each and plant into free-draining compost, keep this moist but not soakng wet and keep in a shady spot.

If there are shoots on these stems, you can remove them and plant separately.

Regarding hardiness of Gartenmeister, I think you would have to live in zone 10 eg like California for this. It definitely is not hardy here in zone 8. Kath :)

• loloo
    18 years ago

Kaysbelle, Kath gave me same advice 2 yrs ago. I worried the first time about them but with Kath`s excellent advice, I`m now the gartenmeister lady in the nei`hood. Mine are outside now in zone 5a but always have cuttings inside for next year.They are so beautiful. thanks again Kath. Lorraine

• fuchsiabonsailady
    18 years ago

You're very welcome Lorraine, so pleased that you succeded with the cuttings etc, well done - Kath :)

• sdafamily
    18 years ago

CAN LEAVES AND SMALL STEM CUTTINGS ROOT IN MIST BED?
    OR WILL IT DIE...SOUNDS LIKE YOU SAID TO PLANT IT MUCH AS YOU DO A WILLOW WHIP? DID I UNDERSTAND THIS CORRECTLY?
    WE GOT A ROOT FROM A FRIEND AND SIMPLY PLANTED IT FLAT IN THE GARDEN...WILL THIS GROW?
    ALL NEW TO ME
    THANKS

• fuchsiabonsailady
    18 years ago

Hi Suzanne,
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by a mist bed!

Growing from semi ripe wood is similar to growing a willow whip.

If you keep the soil moist around the piece of root it may well grow and produce a shoot - Kath:)

• vmarcos68
    18 years ago

Ive never grown gartenmeister before last summer. The
    sales person said they might come back next year(zone 8).
    What if they were cut off at ground level and covered with leaves and a loose fitting upside down pot? I brought the one in that's named Koralle though since it was already potted.

• fuchsiabonsailady
    18 years ago

They don't survive the winter here Vmarcos68 and as you see i'm zone 8 too - Kath:)

• Cady
    18 years ago

I have a Gartenmeister that has been in a pot for two years. Last fall, I cut it down to the base and repotted after a frost top-killed it. This year, I brought it inside before last week's first frost. It is doing well, but I'd like to divide it into two plants. Can I divide the rootball in half? If that would be too stressful for it, I'll just take cuttings.

• fuchsiabonsailady
    18 years ago

Yes certainly Cady,
    Make sure the soil around the root ball is not too wet, just moist is ok. Cut the top growth back by at least half, then take something like an old bread-knife and saw the root ball in half. remove any thick old dark brown roots and leave as many of the white roots as possible. Re-pot into well drained new soil, not in too big a pot, just so the remaining roots fit in comfortably. Keep just moist, do not overwater. - Kath :)

• Cady
    18 years ago

Thank you for the advice. I shall give it a try this week. During winter Right now, the fushia is still blooming, so I was hestitant at first to cut it back and try to divide it. But but since it regaled me with blooms all season, I can't complain. It will be worth the wait to have two plants instead of one. I adore "Gartenmeister."

Thanks again.

• mskee
    18 years ago

Hello all,
    So happy that I found this thread, as it is just what I would like to do! My Gartenmeister is still blooming in it's pot, after bringing it indoors for the winter. It is one of my favorite plants, and would like more. It is not easy to find at the nursery, so I am hoping to propagate.
    Cady,
    How did your division work? My plant is large enough to divide, but I'm afraid of losing it.
    Kath,
    Where would be the best place to take a stem for rooting as you described above?

Thanks so much.
    Emily

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Emily,
    I just did some tip cuttings. I took healthy 3-4 inch tips and removed all but about 4 leaves. put them in a container of potting soil that was thoroughly moistened but drained well. I just let them be and now a week and a half later I just potted up 4 rooted cuttings. i have 8 more to go. I couldn't believe how easy they rooted. I even have 2 that I just put in a glass of water this week and one is starting to root. If I had known how easy fuschias root, I would have saved a bunch of $$$ every spring. Now I will have plenty for me and some to share at our regional plant swap. I have to give credit to Kath as it was her encouragement last year that prompted me to give it a try.

Penny

• penny1947
    18 years ago

An update on my cuttings...10 out of 12 have rooted and have been moved to their own little pots. The last two are starting to develop roots.

Next question: How long does it take for a rooted fuschia cutting to begin blooming?

Penny

• pnwjoy54
    18 years ago

I just wanted to respond to Gartenmeister surviving outdoors in a zone 8 winter. I have this plant in a pot and winter it over in my unheated growroom every winter. Several years ago I took cuttings from it and planted them in a bed under some pine trees. They get plenty of light and have a constant cover from the trees. These die back and go dormant every winter but come back in the spring. So at least in my zone 8 garden they are hardy with protection.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area