Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightshademoon0

Are Fuschia Berries Eatable?

Nightshademoon0
18 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone knew whether Fuschia berries were eatable or not.

Comments (15)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    18 years ago

Yes Alicia,
    The fruits are edible, they are a bit tasteless though - Kath :)

• tightathome
    18 years ago

Hi

From what I understand the berries are quite insipid although not having tasted them and not having the inclination to try I will have to take the words of others as true.

I have in the past however seen a recipe for 'Fuchsia Jam', I believe it was published in one of the British Fuchsia Society Annuals some years ago.

Tight....

• Mystyspassion
    18 years ago

I have never eaten them, but my Golden Retriever "Cheyenne" loves them. Last Summer she was always sniffing around the Fuschia's waiting for the Berries to be ripened enough for her to pull them off and eat them. I never even thought about eating them until I saw her doing it; I watched her to make sure she didn't get sick and she was fine. She Loves all types of Plants; makes me nervous though, one thing is for certain if she was ever to get lost in the woods I know she could survive on Plants & Bugs for a while; she loves to eat bugs as well; the bigger and crunchier the more she enjoys them.

• Jeri_Jennings
    18 years ago

I have read that the berries from F. boliviana are sold in South America as we here might sell strawberries. My F. boliviana is a baby, but one day . . .

Jeri Jennings
    Coastal Ventura Co., Southern CA

• Still
    18 years ago

You can do anything with fucshia berries that you can do with blackberries. I've candied them and used them in ice cream. I think they taste like peppery grapes.

• paradisi
    18 years ago

In my experience, the blacker the fruit, the sweeter they are

• Dick_Sonia
    18 years ago

Perhaps we should qualify our overall impressions with what species we're eating. The Fuchsia regia fruit that I eat is fairly sweet with almost no subacid note. I would compare the taste to a blueberry without the tang. No peppery or sour taste at all, and moderately flavorful. A little selective breeding could make these wonderful.

• Cady
    18 years ago

Well, you learn something new every day on Garden Web. Never knew the berries were edible, but now I'll be "harvesting" my "fruit.

• dr.pauld
    16 years ago

What an amazing discovery. My dear friend Pat told me that one could eat the berries. So being adventurous and having a load of Fuchsia plants growing on the verandah in berrie, I gave them a go. They were delicious. They had a slight taste of grape and fruit salad, no peppery taste at all. I was thinking, before I knew anything about them, that I would make some jam from them. The problem is, getting enough of the fruit to make jam. Anyway I certainly did not get sick at all from them, and enjoyed the new experience, of a new taste. I highly recommend them. I am sure there are probably lots of recipes available for people to experiment with them.

• can328
    12 years ago

Why has my fuschia stopped producing blossoms and only producing berries?

• Katy
    12 years ago

Can - You need to pick the berries to encourage the plant to flower. A lot of plants will stop flowering once they set fruit.

We use to have a mallard duck, he LOVED the fuchsia berries.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

My corgi loves the berries. She noses around the plant and picks the plump ones off to eat.

I've read that they can be used for tea as well. Haven't tried it though.

• User
    7 years ago

I just ate one, having remembered that they are supposed to be edible. I got a harsh sensation in my mouth and throat, which even after spitting out and rinsing , I still have. It doesn't feel healthy at all, so maybe some are not so edible.

• User
    7 years ago

"Edible UsesFruit - raw. The fruit of all species and cultivars of this genus is edible, though in many instances the fruit leaves an unpleasant after-taste in the mouth[K]." http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Fuchsia+species

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH