Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryluscious

dying fuschia hanging baskets

maryluscious
17 years ago

I recently purchased 2 hanging baskets of Fuschia's. They were left in their own containers, as the bottom had drainage holes, and placed in a mosslike lined pot. I also places a small layer of mulch on top to ensure the soils stays moist. They hang in a North East direction, getting the morning sun. I watered every other day.

My problem is, They appear to be dying, brown, dead looking stems. What do I need to do to perk them up.. or is it a loss cause.

appreciate your help.. thanks

Comments (8)

• rain1950
    17 years ago

Well, since you give me no idea of what area you are in; I have no way of answering. Unless it has rained; water every day.

• elanor7
    17 years ago

I have the same problem. I have two in hanging baskets and have watered every day. I've had them for nearly two weeks, and fertilized them on the middle weekend. The leaves on top are turning brown and basically looking unhealthy.

• rain1950
    17 years ago

Here in Washington, because the sun is less intense, I can grow many in sunlight; however some will need to be 'hardened' and will suffer some sunburning. Any area that gets intense sunlight should only allow morning and evening sun. Never any midday sun.

• elanor7
    17 years ago

Hmmm - that must be the problem. They are definitely getting a lot of midday sun. I have no idea what the difference in sun intensity is between Washington and Minnesota, but I suppose if I'll burn in 20 minutes at noon, the fuschias may as well.

thanks!

• hld6
    17 years ago

Hi All,
    Be careful not to overwater, especially in the Spring. Fuschia like to be moist but not wet. I killed a few of them that way last year. Since they were in a Coco mat hanging planter (that water could run freely out of ) I was under the impression that I couldn't be overwatering them. Wrong.

This year I check to see how moist the soil is before I give them any additional water. If the soil is slightly moist and "dry-ish" on the surface, then I water them with a cup or two. I never soak them. Better a couple small waterings a day than one large one.

This year I've lost only one out of seven baskets. That casualty happened after a very heavy thunderstorm soaked it (followed by a cool 42 degree night) while we were away at my daughter's graduation.

Now that I'm not killing them in the spring, my learning goal for this year will be how to keep them alive in Maryland's hot summers!

-Helen

• rain1950
    17 years ago

If you can keep a close eye on them; withhold water until you see them droop the leaves. This will give you a good idea how often to water. Not sure what the soil mix is but it should contain a fair amount of perlite/vermiculite.

Ah; Minnesota; been there. You don't have anywhere near our humidity and higher summer temps; yes, your sun is more intense as we have the Pacific breezes to moderate things. Plus our nights are much cooler

• dolphin1_2006
    17 years ago

Hi! I have a beautiful bright pink/purple fuschia on my front porch which faces south.....the problem.....it's dying in a really bad way.....I have watered most every day and only missed maybe once or twice.....i have fed it with food I purchased at a local nursery whose flowers are all BEAUTIFUL. It looks absolutely terrible to the point I am ready to trash it. Any advice?

• daveblfc_yahoo_co_uk
    12 years ago

We have a fuschia on our terrace and it is full of buds but they are not opening they are just dying as they start to open

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County