Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving my fuchsia

Posted by andybasil (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 18:57

Hi, I hope I've picked the right forum! I've got a beautful mature fuchsia (bush), at the front of my home which needs to be moved because builders are about to extend. We currently clip the plant to a height of around six foot and it has many shoots rising from the ground. We only want to move it eight feet away and cannot bear the thought of killing it off. What is your best advice, is the root ball likely to be huge/delicate/multi etc..
Bearing in mind I'm a complete garden dunce I will accept your best suggestions and will take enormous care to give the plant the best chance. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving my fuchsia

Hi Andy,

This really is the wrong time of the year to be moving it, Spring, after all risk of frost has gone would have been better.

With a fuchsia this size you will find an awful lot of tap roots, long thick and brown, these are to anchor the fuchsia in the ground, the smaller white roots are the feeder roots, which you need for the plant to survive.

As you say it HAS to be moved, here's the best way to move it for chance of survival after transplanting.

1. The day before give it plenty of water.
2. Cut all the top growth off, leaving about a foot.
3. With a spade, 'chop/dig' around the plant, approximately
1 foot away from the middle of the plant.
4. Try to keep it in a clump, as you ease it out of the
ground, cut off any long tap roots.
5. Replant it into a hole that is at least 4 to 6 inches
deeper than it is planted at the moment, place into
same and water thoroughly, keep moist, don't let the
surrounding soil dry out.

Hopes this helps you - Kath:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here