Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueridgedogwood

Do fuschia change color?

blueridgedogwood
15 years ago

I have what I thought was Dark Eyes (red sepal, purple corolla). Now the red has turned pink. Do they change colors or is there something I can/should do to get the red color back? It's the first one I've owned.

Comments (7)

• davew
    15 years ago

hi fuchsias would only change colour if they go back to theoriginal plant that they came from by this if you grew from seed it would proberly be one of the parent plants the stroger one of the two now dark eyes im in the uk and my dark eyes is abush but in the usa it comes up as a trailing plant my one has deep red corollia voilet blue petals and has medium size blooms now yours is a differant story i cant realy help you with that may be some one over there can help you more keep buying fuchsias they will give you hours of fun.

• blueridgedogwood
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This one was apparently started from a cutting. I've watered it daily and it is in filtered morning sun with afternoon shade. I haven't fertilized it because I've only had it a month. Perhaps that would help? The pink is pretty, but I loved the original red and would like to get it back.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Maybe you have is what is called a sport. Sometimes you find a branch that has a flower that is different in color, shape, size, the same only a paler version of the rest of the plant. Sometimes it is in the leaf, a plant with plain green leaves will throw a branch with variegated leaves like Machu Picchu did. If you take a cutting of this and it grows on to stay not revert you have a new variety. Twice in the last couple of years fuchsias have sported on me but the second year they reverted back to the original. These fuchsias were my Applause and another one was Nettala. the story goes like this, I lost my original Nettala but had given a cutting to a friend, I begged a cutting back from her and when it bloomed it wasn't Nettala, I said to my friend you gave me something else it's not Nettala, when she had taken the cutting for me the fuchsia was not blooming, when we went and took a look at her plant of Nettala sure enough one branch had sported. I do have a picture of my Nettala sport and the seedpod which anyone who knows Nettala can see the difference in both the flower and the seedpod. I still have the plant but it did revert back to what Nettala should look like. Here's a picture of my sport and the slightly different seedpod.

A......
    {{gwi:790769}}
    {{gwi:790770}}

• blueridgedogwood
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmmm - I don't know. The original plant is loaded with blooms and buds on every branch just as it was when I got it a month ago. Only now the deep red has turned to pink - on the new buds and new blooms. Same plant, same pot. Thought it might need something besides water. Guess it doesn't like it's new home.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

It sounds like it's getting enough light so it wouldn't hurt to give it some fertilizer like 20-20-20 or something similar and see what happens.
    A......

• blueridgedogwood
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did as aftermidnight suggested and gave my fuschia fertilizer. The new buds are coming out in the original red color. That was FAST! Guess that's what the plant needed.

Thanks aftermidnight.

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA