Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ten_steps_ahead

Gartenmeister not flowering :-(

ten_steps_ahead
15 years ago

I never thought I could over-winter a fuschia but I stuck my gartenmeister in the garage for the winter, cut it back and neglected it till about March when I gave it a small drink of water. I passed by it in April and lo and behold it had started to grow. In early May I put the pot outside in the same spot it had last year and it is now huge but I have not seen one flower bud yet. Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

• davew
    15 years ago

i would say that its not warm enough in nj for this plant to be in bud yet ive some out side in the uk and they are the same as yours but the greenhouse ones have been in full flower for some time may be a good fed wil help it on iys way you must rember that this is a triphlla and dosnt like the cold at all the other thing is did you nip it if so this will delay you by at least six weeks hope this helps

• ten_steps_ahead
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Davew,

We've just come off a 100+ degree heat wave for four days (thank goodness that's over!). I shaded my plants and watered twice a day and it looks like they came through fine. What do you suggest for feed for my fuschias? I also have fuschia "Mary" that the hummingbirds absolutely love, lots of flowers, but these were purchased not too long ago. As far as nipping, this is the only plant that I am afraid to nip because I know that it will delay buds for a long time. Any advice you can give me will be much appreciated.

• davew
    15 years ago

hiten steps im surprised its been so hot all ready i feed my fuchsias with miricle grow twice a week this works for me toamato feed will do the same job both mary and gartenmeister are from the same grower in germany he was bonstedt may be your plants are in a to large pot this will slow them down to give flowers if they are starting to look tied in the heat i give mine a feed of epsom salts about a tea spoon per gallon of water this will give the folage a dark green look and make the flowers stand out when they do arive you will find that triphyllas do beter with pinching you get a busher plant and in the long run more flowers its up to you i would pinch and wait the extra six weeks till they come in to bloom good luck davew

• ten_steps_ahead
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Davew,
    The pot I have my Gartenmeister in is 12 inches and the plant is about 15 inches tall. Mary fuchsias are in hanging baskets 14 inches across with other flowers.
    I want to make sure I have this correct - you feed your fuchsias with Miracle Grow twice a WEEK, not every two weeks? I didn't realize that they are such heavy feeders. Is this full strength or half? How often do I give them epsom salts? I am so appreciative of your help. By the way I'll be pinching the Gartenmeister in the morning.

Ten Steps

• davew
    15 years ago

hi tensteps i feed twice a week with miricle grow at full strenth as you will know lots run straight out the bottom of the pot epsom salts only when you think the plant looks tied i would say may be once a month happy plantind davew

• ten_steps_ahead
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Dave - I'll let you know how things are progressing in a couple of weeks.

Ten steps

• ten_steps_ahead
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Davew,
    As I was checking everything in the garden this morning I saw buds on my gartenmeister!

ten steps

• davew
    15 years ago

hi ten steps good news in about two weeks you should be in full flower just keep on feeding and dead heading and it will flower right though the season enjoy davew

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio