Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ponderinstuff

Will My Fuchsia Have Less Blooms If It's Too Well Fertilized?

ponderinstuff
16 years ago

The leaves on my fuchsia look healthy and happy but the blooms have dwindled down to practically nothing in the last few weeks. What could be the cause? I had to repot it recently. Could that be a problem? I also added composted manure when I did the re-potting.

Also, my fucsia had HUGE blooms on it when I bought it a month ago but it started getting much smaller blooms once I brought it home. Any idea why that would happen?

Comments (4)

• davew
    16 years ago

hi it would be helpfull if i knew the names of these plants as sometimes the flowers will drop off ie replanting large laefs dont mean big flowers an example would be garden news big leaves small single flowers let us know the names and we can help you more .

• atash
    16 years ago

>>The leaves on my fuchsia look healthy and happy but the blooms have dwindled down to practically nothing in the last few weeks. What could be the cause?

Lots of causes possible. Has its environment changed lately? Did it have a heavy wave of blooms? If so it might be "tired" and need a rest.

>> I had to repot it recently. Could that be a problem?

Maybe, if it is concentrating on growing new roots, but Fuchsias transplant easily in general. If that's the issue it will recover quickly.

>> I also added composted manure when I did the re-potting.

Fuchsias are heavy feeders, and composted manure is unlikely to be particularly nitrogen-rich. Fuchsias are not one of those plants that bloom better starved; on the contrary because they bloom on new growth they bloom better when well-fed. They often bloom a few weeks after a feeding. Just don't give it so much fertilizer as to burn it.

>> Also, my fucsia had HUGE blooms on it when I bought it a month ago but it started getting much smaller blooms once I brought it home. Any idea why that would happen?

Did you give it any food other than the composted manure (which I think is probably NOT rich enough for it alone)?

• ponderinstuff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I DID have a very heavy wave of blooms before my Fuchsia started to peter out. I haven't given it any food other than the compost and a little bit of Osmocote slow realease pellets when I re-potted it.

What kind of food should I give my Fuchia and how often?

• atash
    16 years ago

Hello. Sorry I didn't answer earlier.

Osmocote is supposed to last 3-4 months, but I am never sure that it does; I've had plants go chlorotic on me.

Fuchsias are often fertilized with organic or inorganic water-diluted liquid type fertilizers. Read the instructions for either feeding with every watering, or feeding every couple weeks. You should get another wave of bloom within a few weeks of fertilizing, if temperatures are favorable (some folks are having heat problems).

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville