Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starlizard

Fuschia Rescue - Help?

StarLizard
12 years ago

Alright, so I got this fuschia from Lowe's at 75% off because it was "distressed". I have had many fuschia plants before, and all have done well. This particular plant was overcome with flowers and blooms, and all that really seemed wrong with it was some wilting flowers, yellow leaves and dry soil.

I brought it home and lovingly plucked all the dying and dead flowers, as well as all yellow leaves I could find. I watered it a little bit at a time throughout the day to get the soil nice and moist and put it out in the sun.

I thrived for about a week, and then I read somewhere on the internet that fuschia plants did not like direct sun or too much heat. I always kept mine inside, so I had no idea on how to treat outside fuschia plants. After reading this, I moved my fuschia to the shade (still outdoors) and watered every second or third day.

I took it down from its hook today to look at it and most of the blooms are wilted. From having most blooms than leaves, it is now pretty bare of flowers, and the branches are thinning out. It's been warm and humid for a few days but I found that the soil was dry.

Since it was thriving while in the sun, I have now moved it back to a sunny location. I have once again cleaned it of dead blossoms and leaves and watered it thoroughly. Incidentally, my pet bunnies love the flowers, so they at least got a meal out of my wilting plant. I also clipped a few branches for rooting, in case this one doesn't make it. I've never dealt with a basket fuschia before, I've always grown them as mini trees in pots.

Any suggestions on how I can help this one along, and on whether or not it should be in the sun or shade?

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Star

Comment (1)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional