Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catlet_gw

Fuschia 'Heidi Ann'

Catlet
19 years ago

I've just bought a Heidi Ann and can't find much about it on the internet. Does anyone know anything about it? I think it'll need to be inside in winter (we get a _lot_ of frost) but that's all the tag said.

Comments (7)

• melrt968
    19 years ago

Hello Caitriona,
    My little book says Heidi Anne (Smith 1969). Double. Tube and sepals crimson. Corolla lilac. An excellent small flowered double that produces a good symmetrical bush easily.
    Any fuchsia in a pot requires frost protection so bring your plant into frost free accommodation over the winter. For advice on overwintering consult FAQs
    Best wishes
    Ron

• Catlet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ron,
    Thanks for that. I'd forgotten you were a fuschia fan. I might be heading in that direction myself, they're very pretty!
    The mints have settled in very well : )
    Caitriona

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Hi Caitriona,
    Ron is quite right re that fuchsias in pots need winter protection. Heidi Ann is not officially hardy but has been in my garden for 15 years and survived. Saying that I am zone 8 and live by the sea. Take a couple of cuttings and grow another plant, it must have grown into a 5 inch pot size before placing it into the garden, and plant deeper than it is in the pot, and must also be planted in the garden before the end of August so it becomes established in the soil before winter approaches, really best the first year to be planted earlier in the garden ie late Spring/early Summer, after all risk of frosts have gone. So perhaps you could try this next year. Just a thought, Kath :)

• Catlet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Kath,
    Thanks for that. There's no way I could plant anything out this year anyway, the garden hasn't been dug since the house was built and it's rock solid, we'll probably dig it in the autumn and let the frost break down the lumps during the winter so everything's staying in pots through the winter!
    As far as I can work out from the maps I've looked at, we're in zone 8 or 9, but our valley seems to get a fair amount of frost (I don't really know, we only moved here in February so we haven't seen a full year's weather yet, but we saw it a few times last winter and it was _far_ colder than where we moved from, 35 miles to the south). Your advice about only risking a cutting seems very sensible : ) Heidi Anne's far too pretty to lose.

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Hi again Caitriona,
    Ah yes, maybe it's a 'frost hollow' which is not so good, but as you say you will get a better idea after the next coming winter. If you do decide to plant one out next year, never cut off the old summer growth in the Autumn when having a 'tidy-up', this helps to protect the 'crown' of the fuchsia, always wait until the following Spring when you see new growth coming up through the soil, then you can cut the previous years growth off at ground level.
    Kath :)
    ps. don't know if you've seen this zone map (link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www2.dicom.se/FUCHSIAS/EUROZONER.HTML

• LePhare
    19 years ago

Hi Caitriona,

There's an even more detailed map of Zones for the U.K and Eire on the GardenWeb U.K Forum. If you type 'Zones' in the Search at the bottom of the page and then open 'UK & Eire Zone Map, all will be revealed. It doesn't allow for things like wind chill etc, so local knowlage is the best answer.
    Best Wishes, IanS

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

thanks for the info Ian, hadn't seen this one before, agree, much better Kath:)