Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

some fuchsia ID's, please?

Hello, not my usual forum, but I was wondering if anyone could have a stab at ID'ing a few fuchsias for me please? I have 5 that are NOID's at the moment, but have split them into 2 posts for ease of loading..thanks!

Gill.

Comments (8)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Gill,

No.1 maybe Sophisticated Lady
    No.2 maybe Display
    No.3 maybe Winston Churchill

Maybe you could compare your 3 to the names above, maybe you'll luck out.

A......

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

After-m, thanks for the suggestions above. Tony, thanks also for responding to my e-mail with your possible names. I have put the results together here for the 2 separate posts....
    Ok guys so far we have....
    1.Sophisticated Lady, Annabel and I had no ideas for this one.
    2.All three of us have suggested the same for this...Display, so I think this one is solved.
    3.We have Winston Churchill, Heidi Ann and again I had nothing.
    4.Only two ideas so far...Angel's Dream and my stab at Cotton Candy
    5.Again, all three plumped for Dancing Flame...so another Yes!
    Realise this is a bit hit and miss so to speak, but interesting none the less.
    So, thanks again for having a go for me, I now have a few names to read up about and compare their individual characteristics etc to my plants...if anyone else cares to suggest, agree : ¬ ) or disagree : ¬ O they will be most welcome!!
    Regards, Gill.

16 years ago

Me again,
    I'm still sticking with Sophisticated Lady for no.1...for now :o)
    No.3, does look like Heidi Ann, I have that Fuchsia CD Rom and the pictures seems to match.
    I looked up Angel's Dream and Cotton Candy, I now have an opinion on this one, for no.4, Angel's Dream.

A......

16 years ago

... some more thoughts on no. 3, I did a side by side comparison of your no.3, the best pictures of Winston Churchill and Heidi Ann I could find, they are so similar it's hard to tell. Maybe this will help.....
    WINSTON CHURCHILL... a medium sized double... long tube, broad reflexed sepals tipped green... corolla lavender blue, maturing to pale purple... prolific flowers, many petaloids. The leaves on my Winston Churchill has a green midrib.
    HEIDI ANN... a medium sized double... tube and sepals crimson cerise... corolla light lilac, paler at base, veined cerise... dark green foliage with crimson midrib. Hope this helps.

A......

16 years ago

I meant to say Winston Churchill's sepals are pink tipped green at least that's the description in Mr. Boullemier's Checklist. I need a proof reader for my posts. LOL

A......

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, sorry for delay in replying..
    AM...think #3 could well be Heidi Ann as it fits your description and the one in my book closer than that of Winston Churchill's details.
    Guess they could all be the results of cross pollination which would really confuse the issue, so I suppose saying this is a "..." is only really an educated guess given the info we have to hand isn't it unless we are absolutely certain?
    Thanks for the help.
    Gill.

16 years ago

Hi Gil, more thoughts on No.1, I think it is Annabel after all, Sophisticated Lady's corolla has a different shape to your picture, it seems to flare out more, the sepals on my Annabel are a little paler in color then yours but that is probably due to different growing conditions. I think Tony nailed it.

A......

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks AM
    Gill.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz