Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyleee217

Weird growth on my fuchsia

amyleee217
18 years ago

I bought a pretty pink fuchsia at walmart - then we had an extreme heat wave. i think she got kinda thirsty, then I think I over-watered her, then I repotted.(BAD I know now...) Now, there are only about 3 buds, and I am noticing this strange, green, cauliflour-type curly-ish growth that is occuring at the tips of many of the stems. does anybody know what this is? My fuchsia is located on the shaded patio of my downstairs apartment. we have been having 100 degree weather. any ideas?

Comments (8)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    18 years ago

Hi Amyleee,
    It sounds as if it may be a type of bug, we have one here that has a similar affect on fuchsias known as thrips, it does the damage when the bud is forming. Spray with an insecticide or a soft-soap solution and see if that helps to irradicate it - Kath :)

• bamboo_ca
    18 years ago

If any part of your fuchsia is curling severely or growing in a very deformed manner then you have the misfortune of having contracted fuchsia gall mite (and from the sound of it you have). Fuchsia mite is once again becoming quite common in the United States as more people buy infected fuchsias. Fuchsias were becoming popular in parts of the United States during the 70's and 80's until massive mite infections killed their growing popularity.

Sadly I know about this mite all too well. I am a member of the local fuchsia society, which manages a large fuchsia bank of thousands of different varieties of fuchsia as part of a larger 87-acre botanic garden. The garden has been plagued with this mite for several years now. The mites lives inside the foliage, specifically in young growth parts such as new buds or new growth shoots. Saliva from the little microscopic critters causes distortion followed by deformation of the plant parts that eventually will become very severe and overtime will significantly damage the health of the fuchsia or even kill it all together. The mite is HIGHLY infectious, as it is easily spread from one plant to another (method of transmission is unclear, although I suspect hummingbirds play a role) and the mites are dammed difficult to eradicate.

I myself have been battling fuchsia mite for several years with varying degrees of success. If fuchsia mite is caught within the first season of infection and the plant is sufficiently small enough for you to be able to spray the surface of all the leaves, then an insecticide that works systemically can kill it if sprayed in 2 or 3 successive and regular applications. You can find a suitable insecticide at any Home Depot or Lowes in the garden center. Any insecticide that specifically says it kills fuchsia mite and is a systemic will do the trick, but make sure the bottle specifically says it will "kill fuchsia mite" and not just simply "kills mites."

If you have other fuchsia currently not suffering from this problem, then you do not want to delay in dealing with it, in fact the other fuchsia are probably already infected but the symptoms have not yet show up. If you do decide to spray then make sure you wear adequate protection as recommended on the label and spray all other fuchsia according to the application directions as well as the infected plant in case they too are infected. One last and very important note: MAKE SURE YOUR FUCHIAS ARE WELL WATERED AND ALL LEAF SURFACES ARE DRY BEFORE APPLYING. DO NOT SPRAY THE SOIL SURROUNDING THE PLANT, AS THAT WILL KILL THE ROOTS. TRY NOT TO ALLOW TOO MUCH SPRAY TO DRIP FROM THE FOLIAGE TO THE SOIL SO THE ROOTS WILL NOT BE DAMAGED. DO NOT WATER THE FUCHSIA UNTIL THE INSECTICIDE HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DRY ON THE SURRFACE OF THE LEAFS. ONLY APPLY WHEN TEMPURATES ARE MILD.

Good luck
    Bamboo

• Gina_W
    18 years ago

Several of my first purchases got this. I tried pruning but the foliage just grows back the same way. I have a small patio garden and I didn't want it to spread so I sadly threw out the infected plants. I had some generic mite spray but it didn't work. I'll have to order some fuschia mite spray to keep on hand. Thanks Bamboo. (I'm in the South Bay too).

• islandjim
    15 years ago

Anybody know the chemical name or brand of pesticide to control fuschia mites?

• jim_wood
    15 years ago

I reported this some months ago, but thanks for the chance to respond once more. I had a really bad infestation of Fuchsia Gall Mites and had all but given up. I'd tried pruning, spraying with Sevin (as recommended on this group), even used Ortho Systemic spray... all with very little success. Then I tried Bayer Advanced 12-Month Tree & Shrub Protect & Feed, a liquid systemic that you dilute and water-in. Unlike most systemics, this one has no warnings about using near food crops and, in fact, is recommended for certain nut tree diseases. Well, it took a couple of months to 'kick in,' but I am Gall Mite free now, even in deep shade under a bird feeder, an area that always got hit the hardest. This must be a long-working systemic, for it's been about 3 months since I last applied it and still not a "cauliflower" in sight. The Bayer product is available at Wal*Mart and costs $15-20 for 32oz, enough for quite a few applications. Don't confuse this with Bayer's granulated systemic for roses, which does not contain the same 'magic bullet': Imidacloprid.

• mistergreenjeans
    15 years ago

Orthene has worked very well for me this year on Fuchsia gall mites. I have used Sevin in the past, but unless you get the emulsifiable concentrate, you'll have terrible problems with you sprayer getting clogged when using it. Also, Sevin is very effective in killing off predator mites, so after using Sevin for a while you will often find you've got a spider mite problem to contend with. I now use Othenex (Funginex and Orthene) which I use on some of my roses and also my fuchsias. I hate using these nasty sprays, but I really like fuchsias and some roses susceptible to blackspot and rust.

• adahlberg
    15 years ago

I use bayer 3 in 1 (for roses and flowers). Use it 1/4 strength 3x's per year. It feeds the fuchsia and keeps it pest free with lots and lots of flowers! I learned this from the fuchsia society here in Crescent City, Ca. Great advice! I too threw away many fuchsias not knowing about Bayer 3 in 1. Never again! I hope this helps.

• mr_andrew
    13 years ago

I'm really upset that I have mites on my Fuschia Campo Glizmo. They were supposed to be resistant. Sigh.

Anyway, I havent tried it yet but I am going to get some today at Dome Heepot (apparently only $15 there - much more expensive on Whamazon.com)

One thing I did learn on Whamazon is that the correct product is Bayer Advanced All in One Rose & Flower Care Concentrate #701260, NOT Bayer 3-in-1. Bayer 3-in-1 is the spray product, all-in-one is the drench.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012