Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unexpected fuchia babies?

Posted by cathay2 WA8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 07 at 12:26

One of my favorite fuchias is reproducing. While weeding, I noticed a number of small plants coming up in a circle around it. I'm thrilled, but also confused.
Does anyone know if the babies could have been produced by seed? A couple of years ago I did dig this one up and try to divide it. Is it possible I left pieces of root in the ground, and they have now formed new plants?
This is a hardy fuchia, low growing in an arching habit, with reddish stalks and veins and olive green foliage. The flowers are red outside and purple inside. I have a lot of other fuchias in my garden, but the stalks and foliage on the new plants look just like the parent.

Thanks much. I'd appreciate any info on the method of reproduction. Also, would it be a good idea to pot them up now, or to leave them in the ground until fall? It's a bit hot here right now, and I'm concerned that they might now like being moved, but I know that some seedlings need to be moved when tiny.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unexpected fuchia babies?

Do these new growths look fragile? if so they are probably seedlings, if the new growths look like strong new shoots, they are probably coming from pieces of root left behind or offshoots from the mother plant. Did you leave the seed pods on the mother plant? If these babies are of any size I personally would leave them till the weather cools down a bit, then taking as much soil with the root as possible dig and replant immediately. Any more thoughts out there on this? the more information the better.

A......

o

A, thanks for responding. The new shoots look pretty sturdy to me. My curiousity got the better of me and I dug one up. I didn't find the tiny new roots you would expect with a seedling. There was one root, and it went sideways back towards mama.
If this was a rhody or blueberry, I would think the new plants were created by layering. But I don't think any of last years fuchsia branches were left low enough to the ground to layer, even if this is a fuchsia trait. I did leave the seedpods on last year, I don't remove them.

Cathy

o

Your plant is most likely branching out below the soil creating a nice clump instead of a single stem.

A......

o

A, I didn't know fuchsias did that, but I've only been growing them for a few years.
I potted up the one I dug up. I hope it does ok. Everyone tells me that fuchsias are easy to start from stem cuttings, so I imagine a root cutting with top growth has an even better chance. If the first one feels like it's rooting in a few weeks, I think I may go ahead and try to put up some more. This really is a very nice fuchsia, really sweet in the front of the border, no need for supports, hardy, etc. I would love to have several more of them.

cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here