Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcdesign_gw

Upright fuchsia 'Koralle'

lcdesign
19 years ago

Hi

I just got my first fuchsias which I was going to put into a mulched bed that has all evergreens in it, because thats the only shady spot I have, and its near my hummingbird feeder. I was wondering if the acidity of the soil would be ok for them, and also whether it would be better to pot them instead and bring them in for the winter. Do they over-winter or should I just treat them like an annual?

TIA

Leslie

Comments (11)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Yes Leslie,
    Koralle is a triphylla type fuchsia, can take the heat better than the ordinary cultivars but is not hardy through the winter in your zone - kath:)

• lcdesign
    Original Author
    19 years ago

So the acid soil in my evergreen bed would be ok?

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Just to be on the safe-side Leslie, as it is not hardy why don't you plant it in a pot and stand the pot in your shady spot or even drop it down in the soil a bit - Kath:)

• mkjones
    19 years ago

I just bought one of these--the "Koralle." Never thought I'd like a triphylla so much! It's lovely! I have mine indoors, and plan to keep her in here w/me....so I can admire it all the time!

=) Kathleen in TX

p.s. Kath, what's the best type of pot f/an indoors fuchsia--does it matter?

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Kath, it doesn't really matter, as long as you keep it in a well lit, cool room and don't overwater it - Kath:)

• mkjones
    19 years ago

Gotcha! I am really loving the land of Fuchsias. =)

Thanks, Kath!

Kathleen in TX

• FLOWPOW2
    19 years ago

Hi there,I rescued a fuchsia tree that was left out all last winter.Has two S shaped stocks, flakey bark and large red and wihte blooms.Can you I.D. it for me? I brought it into my shop its now under flourescents and still blooming.Should I let it do its thing or cut it all back?Its been repotted and fed with 20-20-20. FLOW.

• lcdesign
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Those two fuchsias have done so well all summer, the hummingbirds were loving them, thanks kath! Now I'm going to bring them in - we're predicted to go down to the forties next week. They have seed - berries - on them - should I remove them? I know to overwinter they need to be cut back, but I'm just going to put them in a window and keep enjoying them. Is there anything I need to do?

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Hi Flow,
    Re "Two S shaped stocks" Do you mean 2 main stems?
    As you have it indoors, let it finish flowering if you like, then trim the 'head' back by a third to a half. Remove any remaining leaves and flowers. I don't know what temperature your shop is, cool is best. Keep it just moist, not soaking wet, then it will soon shoot again as you have it under bright lights. By cutting it back you will give it a 'rest period'. - Kath:)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Sorry Flow, hadn't finished answering your question. Sorry can't identify it with out seeing a photo, there are so many red/white fuchsias :) :)

Hi Leslie,
    Yes remove the berries, especially if you want it to continue to flower for a bit longer, otherwise some energy of the plant will go to producing seed.
    Keep it just moist, not soaking wet, I know I keep saying this, but a lot of people loose their fuchsias through the winter period because they overwater them and this causes rotting of the roots. - Kath:)

• lcdesign
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The fuchsias survived the winter! They have plenty of new growth, and are easily twice the size they were when I bought them for .99 apiece. Unfortunately its all at the top. They look really leggy - should I have pruned them at some point? I'm getting ready to repot. Any advice? Also I there is something wrong with some of the leaves. They are lighter in areas, look almost blistered, as if there is something inside them. (I'd send a picture but DH borrowed the camera for work)
    TIA
    Leslie

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES