Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankie21_gw

Exhibiting

frankie21
19 years ago

This is my first attempt ever at growing Fuschia and I have some really nice ones. There is a local flower show in 3 weeks time and I would have to mount 4 or 5 single flowers for display on a plain board. Any tips on how to mount the blooms and what constitutes a showable flower please!

Frankie

Comments (2)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Hi Frankie,
    In the past I have exhibited fuchsia flowers in the 'Blooms Class' in British Fuchsia Shows many times.

When you say on a 'plain board', there's no way they would stay fresh looking if the flower stem is not in water and then they only stay fresh for a couple of hours. That's why judges at fuchsia shows always judge this class first.

I will attempt to explain what their 'plain boards' are like. Pity I don't have one anymore otherwise I could have posted a pic. Anyway, it a piece of board approx. 8" x 5" with a another piece of board at either end, underneath, to raise it approx 2 inches. In the flat board 6 holes are made, 3 at the top, 3 at the bottom. Into these holes you drop an empty film container (this is what you put the water in) with the lid on, then make a small hole in the plastic lid, the stem drops through this into the water and the flower itself rests on the top of the lid. Hope you can understand what I mean.

The flowers themselves should be fresh, no marks on the petals, the stamens should protrude out of the petals, if they are inside the petals they are considered 'immature', if they protrude too far and are covered in pollen they are considerd too 'mature'

If possible take half a dozen stems of single fuchsias with a couple of flowers attached on each with you to the show, when you're there, cut the stem with scissors, on no account touch the petals, it will mark them.

I hope this doesn't sound too complicated, it isn't really :) but that's the way they stay the freshest for the judge.

Another way to display fuchsia blooms is to fill a plastic flower pot saucer with damp sand, and then you place the fuchsia flower stems into this to keep them fresh, but that probably isn't allowed at your show as you say a 'plain board'.

Wishing you success - Kath:)

• frankie21
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Many thanks for your help - I will send you a photo of me with the cup!
    Frankie

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022