Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing a fushia

Posted by bhiker125 21084 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 14:27

I have a new fushia. It has one stem. It is not really growing. I have it in the shade. Could this be the reason

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing a fushia

If you're trying to grow it in all-day shade it is probably not going to be happy.

Morning sun, and shelter from afternoon baking; or lightly dappled is useful. Mid range temperatures - not into the high nineties.

Free-draining soil with a fairly high level of good, well-rotted compost in the soil and used as a moisture-conserving mulch.

Not under evergreens with surface matting roots.

Moist soil that barely dries out - and isn't actually soaking wet.

Some Fuchsias are quite drought resilient - and others show their displeasure quite quickly with smaller leaves, dropping flowers and then dropping leaves.

If you're in a hard-winter zone and you want to keep your Fuchsia you can pot it up for over winter and keep it in a good light, above freezing or barely below (about 1-2 degrees of frost).

If you're in zone 9 it can stay out to become dormant, leaf-free, and perhaps frosted on the tips. It will come back again in spring.

In zone 10 it might slow down for winter but still be producing flowers and new leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here