Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Fuchsia boliviana Alba seed questions

mark4321_gw
13 years ago

Hi,

My Fuchsia boliviana Alba had a couple fruits that fell off upon a light touch. I ate half a fruit (not particularly good, perhaps I got a bad one), and isolated and washed the seeds from one and a half fruits. They are now drying. I have a few questions about the seeds and the plant.

1) Can I be sure the fruit was ripe? It never changed color and was light green. The fruits were reasonably soft. The seeds are medium brown.

2) Is it worth checking viability? I may send these out to a number of people.

3) How long are the seeds viable for?

4) Is the plant a cool grower? But can it handle Florida heat? I seem to find conflicting reports.

5) Is it quick from seed and worth growing this way? My plant is small and I don't have much material for cuttings.

From just what I've harvested it appears I will have >500 seeds. Plus I will have dozens more fruits just from this one inflorescence. I've noticed sellers on Ebay sell very small numbers of seeds. I assume this is because they have high viability and few people need 50 plants... If all works out I should have some seeds available for postage. I suppose my big question is whether I should distribute some now, or check and make sure they are viable.

Comments (2)