Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piksi_hk

Fuchsias as houseplants

piksi_hk
18 years ago

I got a book from the library Houseplants for Dummies and fuchsia is listing in the chapter called "Budding Indoor Gardener: Flowering Houseplants". Has anyone tried keeping them indoors?

I received two replacement plants a few weeks ago and have kept them indoors sitting on a humidity tray on an east facing windowsill. No direct light but bright light.

As of today, I have 4 buds on one and the other shows new growth.

Thanks everyone for all your tips.

Comments (7)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    18 years ago

Hi Piksi,
    I can understand with the high temperatures that you sometimes have, it is cooler indoors with the aid of air conditioning than it is outside.

You may find due to the low light level indoors compared to outdoors, that the plant may eventualy go a bit 'leggy' - Kath :)

• CSemerad
    18 years ago

I too am trying fuchsia's as houseplants, and am having great luck with one, but not so much with the other. I bought them at the same time, potted them in identical pots with the same soil, water them the same, put them in the same window, and pruned off all the dead looking branches. One is blooming like crazy, and the other looks like it wants to bloom, but doesn't. All this after all the leaves turned yellow on both and fell off. One thing I do, because it is so dry here in AZ, is mist them every time I walk by them. I also make sure the soil is moist, watering both each morning, and pinching off spent blooms. I fertilized with potted plant spikes too. Good luck with yours; I think that they just take some time to get established, and they require some TLC to get that way.

• piksi_hk
    Original Author
    18 years ago

CSemerad,

It seems that I am having the same "bad luck" as you are: I received two fuchsias (diff. variety) and cared for them the same way but the Double Otto died. The other is still alive and has a few buds. I am just hoping it will bloom before it dies on me... Today the leaves looked a little wilty.
    I do mist them daily but need to get some of the plant spikes.

Where do you have your fuchsia? Do they get any direct sun?

• calla_lilly96
    18 years ago

I've killed 2 fushias out side this year from over watering, so the 2 remaining fushias I have I decided to bring in maybe I can keep a better eye on them, when I was cleaning the dead leaves from the pots the other day I noticed alot of the leaves are very fragile-when I would pick up the pots the leaves would start to fall off the plant they did this out side to. As I was picking off the dead leaves alot of them had dark almost black spots that were very crisp but the rest of the leaf was wilted could there be a disease or maybe damage from overwatering? they have only been in the house for 1 week also.

thanks,
    calla

• fuchsiabonsailady
    18 years ago

More than likely damge from the earlier overwatering Calla - Kath:)

• CSemerad
    18 years ago

piksi_hk,

My fuchsia now are going great guns! So many blooms I keep thinking there can't possibly be room for more, and then there are a dozen more. In answer to your question, I have them in a North facing huge window that receives no direct sun, but reflected light from the walls outside. I am going to try moving them outside whenever the weather gets cooler here, which won't be for a few more months. I think initially they were in shock, and it took some time for them to snap out of it. Also, I added a fertilizer spike to each, water every other day, and mist them often. I hope I'm doing things right; I guess if they aren't dead, whatever I'm doing is right, huh.

• elvis
    18 years ago

Hello, everybody. My fuchsias (3) hang outside all summer and I bring them in late August. I've found if I leave my plants on the deck until frost threatens, they drop leaves like crazy all winter from the shock. I let the fuchsias keep blooming for a couple of months then cut them way back, de-pot them, change about 1/3 of the soil, re-pot, and water twice a week, using Miracle Gro once a month. They come back beautifully each time, and are blooming by spring. You might give this a try--