Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tightathome

Some words of advice if I may

tightathome
17 years ago

As many of you are aware I grow my fuchsia plants to exhibit at local and National shows. I spend approximately 3 to 4 hours every day in the garden with my plants. I only grow fuchsias and I currently have about 150+. Daily watering can take up to 2 hours, luckily I work for myself and I am home based.

My first show is in 2 weeks time and I am currently removing blooms from a lot of the plants, I have removed a couple of hundred buds and blooms in the last week or so. I bet that makes most of you cringe Â.. but believe me it will improve the chances of the plants on the show-bench. But please donÂt try this at home.

Having seen some of the recent postings, some words of advice if I may;

Only grow the number of plants that you can comfortably look after  when it becomes a chore  you have too many;

Make sure the plant pot/basket has plenty of draining, remove saucers and make holes in liners;

Only water when the plant(s)/baskets need it, I prefer to water a little and often and keep checking to see if they need any more. This can be up to three or more times daily;

Place the plant pots/baskets in the shade or give them shade (a framework of cans with fine mesh greenhouse shading or old net curtains is handy) during the hottest part of the da. Mist spray with a hand spray when the daytime temperature is cooling. Even in the North of the UK we sometimes have to wait until early evening before it is Âsafe to do this;

DonÂt over-feed plants/baskets use a ¼ strength feed at each watering;

Unless you want to lose you plants donÂt over-feed with what you call Âbloom bustersÂ. These are probably high in potash and if over used will harden the wood and if the plant recovers after being over wintered it will be difficult to break into new growth.

Tight....

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living