Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenlydia_gw

Help! I don't get it...........

greenlydia
17 years ago

A number of years ago I was walking about a nursery center when I spotted this poor dried up wilty plant stuck way back in a corner. I did notice a tiny little bud of green on it and asked the salesperson if I could buy this for really cheap cuz I like to rescue things even tho they still usually die on me, but she said go ahead and just take it, which I did. (She did tell me it was a fuschia "tree") What I know about fuschia "trees" would fit in a gnats........well, nevermind. I don't know anything. I stuck it in a nice shady spot, watered it, gave it some fertilizer, told it I thought it was a really nice plant, and left it to fend for itself. My question, and I do have one, somewhere in here, is.......this thing does not look like a tree at all. It looks like a very low growing shrub with some very tall branches here and there. Right now it has spread out over my lawn about 5 feet, looking like a ground cover, some of it is sticking up in the air and some of it looks like my hair in the morning. It sprouts these really pretty pink fuschia flowers, then in the fall it all dies away and I'm left with a bunch of sticks and in the spring when it starts coming back to life, there are all these "dead" branches and a bunch of new branches and I just don't know what the heck to do with this critter. I cut out the dead stuff but would really like it to stop spreading across the lawn, not that I care about the stupid lawn, but every time I mow, I have to stop and prop up the stuff from the lawn and then un-prop it and I think I would like to know how to make it be a tree if that's what it really wants or needs to be and I'm just not doing anything to help it achieve it's true form. It's also grown big enough that it's kinda squished in the spot I have it. Perhaps I also need to move it so it can do it's thing, which I am so hoping one of you fuschia freaks can tell me what that is. Thanks so much.

Greenlydia

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6