Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
*sigh* looks like I succeeded in killing mine

Posted by paul_ z5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 18:30

Bummer. I purchased a bush fushia this past spring for my folks' place. Kept it out on my balconey until the folks came down for Father's Day. The plant did quite well and I actually had a hummer start showing up every morning and evening even though my apt is on the 3rd floor. After the folks left I felt guilty for giving away the hummer's plant so went and got another one. Potted it up in a bigger pot and gave it some fresh soil. Did well for a bit but a couple of weeks ago it started to decline and now looks like it has totally crashed and burned. I'm sure location was the problem -- my balconey is unshaded and has a southwestern exposure. Since its predecessor had done well, I was hoping it would too.

:(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: *sigh* looks like I succeeded in killing mine

Hardy fuchsias can take a lot more sun than the tender hanging basket types.

o

I'm unsure if this was one of the hardy types or not. It was not a hanging basket fuchsia. It was a 'Gartenmeister'

o

Gartenmeister is one you often see in tubs and planters, these fuchsias with the long tubes love heat and I have seen them in plantings in full sun but they have to be introduced to full sun gradually. Another thing that might have happened, if you have it in a pot the roots could have cooked especially if the soil was quite moist. If so it would be a good idea to double pot fuchsias in these situations, in other words have a layer of dry material in between the two pots, shavings would do to keep the rootball cooler.
A......

o

Aftermidnight,

It was indeed in a pot -- no other option as I live in a 3rd floor apt.

The intro to full sun went fine.

I was thinking along those same lines as you -- that the roots may have gotten too hot. However I would have thought that keeping the soil drier would have been worse than moister soil as there would have been less evaporation to aid in cooling. (The alyssum in the pot, btw, is having a field day)

o

When we have a hot spell up here I try to keep my Fuchsias a little on the dry side for this reason, also it helps to keep them in white rather then dark colored pots, they don't soak up the heat as much. Being yours are on a balcony I would definitely try double potting.

A......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here