Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

*sigh* looks like I succeeded in killing mine

paul_
15 years ago

Bummer. I purchased a bush fushia this past spring for my folks' place. Kept it out on my balconey until the folks came down for Father's Day. The plant did quite well and I actually had a hummer start showing up every morning and evening even though my apt is on the 3rd floor. After the folks left I felt guilty for giving away the hummer's plant so went and got another one. Potted it up in a bigger pot and gave it some fresh soil. Did well for a bit but a couple of weeks ago it started to decline and now looks like it has totally crashed and burned. I'm sure location was the problem -- my balconey is unshaded and has a southwestern exposure. Since its predecessor had done well, I was hoping it would too.

:(

Comments (5)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Hardy fuchsias can take a lot more sun than the tender hanging basket types.

• paul_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm unsure if this was one of the hardy types or not. It was not a hanging basket fuchsia. It was a 'Gartenmeister'

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Gartenmeister is one you often see in tubs and planters, these fuchsias with the long tubes love heat and I have seen them in plantings in full sun but they have to be introduced to full sun gradually. Another thing that might have happened, if you have it in a pot the roots could have cooked especially if the soil was quite moist. If so it would be a good idea to double pot fuchsias in these situations, in other words have a layer of dry material in between the two pots, shavings would do to keep the rootball cooler.
    A......

• paul_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aftermidnight,

It was indeed in a pot -- no other option as I live in a 3rd floor apt.

The intro to full sun went fine.

I was thinking along those same lines as you -- that the roots may have gotten too hot. However I would have thought that keeping the soil drier would have been worse than moister soil as there would have been less evaporation to aid in cooling. (The alyssum in the pot, btw, is having a field day)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

When we have a hot spell up here I try to keep my Fuchsias a little on the dry side for this reason, also it helps to keep them in white rather then dark colored pots, they don't soak up the heat as much. Being yours are on a balcony I would definitely try double potting.

A......

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio