Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fuchsia Magellanica

Posted by daniellalell 7 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 18:32

Hi! I started some Fuchsia Magellanica from seed on 01-27-09, they germinated in a week..I had 5 seedlings.
Here is a pic I took of one the other day.

7-02 Fuchsia Magellanica

Can anyone tell me if it may bloom this year? Is there a tell tale sign I can look for to tell if it will be setting buds?

I had also started some Fuchsia Boliviana Alba seeds at the same time, they never germinated. I started a second batch about a month ago outside, still nothing. I'll give them till fall, but was just wondering if they are hard to do from seed?

Thanks,
Daniella

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fuchsia Magellanica

Your plant looks as if it should be large and healthy enough to bloom - the only sign of buds I know of IS buds at the ends of the branches. Some additional morning sun might help to encourage it.

As for the other seeds, sometimes seeds just aren't viable when you get them. With a name like 'boliviana', they may need cooler night temps in order to germinate, so give them a few more months before tossing them out. I haven't grown many fuschias from seed, but they should be similar to Hamelia, a near relative which I have germinated several times, in terms of germination.

o
RE: Fuchsia Magellanica

Thanks Bubba. I will move it into more morning sun. It pretty much gets dappled sun all day where it is now, and then some late afternoon sun but not for long. Seems to be growing so well there, I didnt even think to give it more sun!
thanks again! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here