Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tragic Fuschia

Posted by sunauna none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 19:03

Hi Everyone,

I just read all about overwatering. That could be my problem, but I am not sure. I was not overwatering - watering basically every 3-4 days - and the plant was doing wonderfully for about 2 months. The spring turned to summer, the summer turned hot and then warm again and, finally, it turned HOT. At that time, the plant was full, green, healthy, and had some blooms. I continued without change but, suddenly, 1/2 the plant wilted. I cut off the unsalvageable parts and put it back where it was. Now, 2 weeks have passed, and it continues to slowly die (see picture). I don't know what to do. Is there a way to save it?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tragic Fuschia

I say take it out of the sun and give it water. I don't know how hot your days get, but I live in BC, and the hot days here require me to water my hanging fuchsia thoroughly every day for them to stand the sun, sometimes twice, depending on the size of the plant. One suffered despite all the water, so it was put in a partial sun location. Moss was also added so the soil wouldn't dry out. Now, it is very happy. Some cultivars tolerate sun better than others.

Overwatering isn't usually an issue if the plant has good drainage.

Hopefully, someone else will come along with more experience and give you further advice.

This post was edited by pwin on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 23:15

o

Thanks, I'll try - though I think it is too far gone now.

o

I have had fuchsia regrow from the root after I had let them completely dry out. Let's see if yours has some fight left.

o

I agree, you don't have to give up on it. Cut it back, keep it in a sheltered spot, and keep the soil moist to the touch. This time of year, if it has any life left in it, it will still be motivated to sprout.

You don't say whether you overwinter your fuchsias, but if you do, it's a shame not to keep it after you've spent the money to buy it! If you don't overwinter them, then yes, you might be happier replacing it. Can you give it to a friend who does overwinter fuchsias?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here