Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting fuchsia cutting in water

Posted by mircasta Washington (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 21:23

I just got several fuchsia plants and one stem broke off of one that is a trailing. So I decided to place it in a tiny glass container filled with water. I was wondering if this is okay?

Also I have deer and they ate the tops of my gartenmeister upright fuchsia plants and was wonder if that is okay.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting fuchsia cutting in water

Fuchsia cuttings are best done in cuttings compost. Instructions at the link.

As for the deer damage, no it it clearly isn't OK but it's done now and the plants will probably survive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuchsia cuttings

o

But is it okay to do it through water?

Also does anyone know how to stop deer from eating my fuchsia plants.

o

Well it's 'okay' in so far as it can work and it isn't against the law - but it isn't the most effective or easiest way. Gardening is a personal activity - you can do things however you like if it works for you.

o

I'm not going to argue with you Kathleen, but for a lot of folks rooting in water is the most practical method, about 90% successful.

o

Who's Kathleen?

For me practicality includes efficiency. Since cuttings in water need to be potted up once rooted that is one extra process, so my personal view is to go straight to a pot. But - as I said - it is entirely up to the individual.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here