Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mircasta

Fuchsia in Washington winter

mircasta
11 years ago

I just recently bought several different types of fuchsia and have them in a half whiskey barrel and was wondering if I took them into my garage in the winter in Washington state would they be okay or should I leave them outside?

Comments (12)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I don't know how cold it gets in Washington but I suspect it is a lot colder then here in the UK and we have to bring Fuchsias under cover to be sure of their surviving the winter. They are kept dormant ie leafless in a cool place and brought into growth in the spring. Instructions at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering fuchsias

• mircasta
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We get snow and most winters we tend to be 30 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit here. I have four trailing and one upright. So I should take it into the garage?

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Did you read the link? If they can't take a UK winter they certainly won't take yours. I suggest you do a bit of research - just Google 'Fuchsia minimum temperature'.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Windowbox or hanging basket fuchsias - generally hybrids - are sold as annuals in WA state. They will not survive a winter outdoors and will need a protected, above freezing location to winter over. Most gardeners don't bother and just replace the plants, which are quite inexpensive, each season.

Hardy fuchsias, which are small to medium sized shrubs, do very well here and will generally survive winters without issue (depending on the specific 'hardiness' of a particular variety). They also tend to be far more sun and drought tolerant than annual or non-hardy fuchsias and bloom quite late into the season. I've had hardy fuchsias in bloom as late as Thanksgiving!

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

gardengal - I jumped to the conclusion, probably precipitously, that the OP was talking about the tender ones, since they were planted in a container. You are quite right about the hardy ones. Here's one of my tender ones blooming outdoors on November 16th. In recent years I have left my tender fuchsias outside under a pile of leaves against the house. So far they have come through.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

flora, I agree that the orginal question was most likely directed about the tender types......just thought I'd give her some hardy options to consider :-)

And FWIW, I had a couple of non-hardy fuchsias winter over just fine last year. But it was a very unusually mild winter......all sorts of tender perennials/annuals wintered over for me.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I get the feeling our conditions are fairly similar gardengal.

• mircasta
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've got four trailing fuchsia I can't remember the names and one upright one that is a gartenmeister that had its main stalk eaten by deer. I plan on taking it indoors when winter comes but want to make sure that they're safe in their.

Also does anyone Know how to stop deer from eating my flowers and strawberries?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Just follow the instructions from flora's link and you should be fine.

There are various spray repellents that will deter deer moderately effectively. They need to be reapplied fairly frequently and I'd not suggest spraying them on anything you intend to eat. Really the only secure deer deterrent is a tall fence.

flora, I'd guess our conditions are very similar :-) Of anywhere in North America, it is remarked that coastal British Columbia and the Puget Sound area of WA state are the most similar to a UK climate. Pretty much anything you can grow, I can too and vice versa!

• jonlaug33
    11 years ago

"Deer Out" will absolutely keep deer from eating your plants. LOOK FOR IT ON THE INTERNET. Testimonials as to how good it is. I use it all the time here in the Puget Sound area and have watched the deer walk right past things that I haved sprayed. IT IS A GGGRRREEEAAATTT PRODUCT.

John

• pyro_dave
    11 years ago

The hardy ones do well outside for me. I put a Dark Eyes and a Swing Time in the ground two winters ago with very little mulching. They are doing very well. I moved the Dark Eyes to a container last year and it is doing even better. Two and three years ago I tried to winter up to 15 hanging baskets in my garage. They dried out and usually died even when I tried to water them every couple of weeks. Now I just start over every spring. But last winter I left several hanging out, and a humming bird was working an Indian Maid in January that was still blooming. When they quit blooming last winter I discarded 5 baskets on the ground against the house (ignored them) and they look really good now after a slow spring. I wish I had repotted them.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Watering every couple of weeks might have been the problem. Mine go through the winter entirely leafless and unwatered with only the moisture in the soil to keep them going. They are cut right back in spring then started into growth by exposure to light and water.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!