Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_in_nj

all of my fuchsias are dying!

tom_in_nj
13 years ago

Help! I have been growing fuchsias in NJ for five years with great results...until this year. I purchased some new fuchsia starts from a greenhouse on the west coast. Whether coincidence, or cause, all of my fuchsias, old and new, are diseased and dying. The symptom starts like rust (yellow and brown spots on the leaves), all leaves fall off, any blooms are dwarfed and off-color, and any new growth is extremely stunted, curled, and dark green. I have treated with a regimen of fungicides and insecticides with mixed results. Most of the new ones have died, and all of my older plants are showing marginal signs of recovery. Any thoughts or recommendations short of trashing all and starting over?

Comment (1)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

What you are describing sounds like your fuchsias have rust. First off if you still have any healthy plants move them away from the ones that do, a place that has good air circulation and spray them with a fungicide. I can only repeat what you have already done, if you want to try and save the ones that have rust, strip all the leaves off and despose in the garbage, do not compost the leaves. I would also cut these plants back and if not already done spray both the plants and soil with a systemic fungicide.

Rust could have come on one of the new plants you bought or could have come from something else, it's a good idea to inspect your plants on a regular basis and treat at the first sign. It might not be worth all the trouble but if you have hard to find varieties it worth a try.

The plants you think have died, if the had a decent root system all might not be lost, new growth could spring from the roots. I've had to deal with this a couple of times myself, keep the area clean around your fuchsias, give them good air circulation, when the new growth starts give them a weak feed of 20-20-20.

If fuchsias were more readily available my advice would be to scrap the lot and start with new stock in a clean and airy environment, but they are getting harder and harder to find so good luck with whatever you decide.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuchsia Rust

Sponsored