Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
protecting my fuchsias

Posted by Puddleduck1 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 14:51

I live in Paradise California and have fuchsias growing in my garden and doing well. Some are large and some just starts. I just love them. We do have hot weather 90+ and we also get snow. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can protect them over the winter especially my large plants? I was thinking of making some cages and wrapping the cages with some kind of cloth. If anyone has done this and has pictures I would really appreciate it.

Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: protecting my fuchsias

• Posted by pwin 8a (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 18:46

It depends if yours are hardy to your climate or not. If you have hardy fuchsias, planting them in the ground a couple of inches below the soil level of the pot will help protect the rootball. Apply mulch as well. Check out the NW Fuchsia Society page under "Hardy Fuchsia List". http://www.nwfuchsiasociety.com/hardies/hardyfuchsias.htm

I haven't tried what you intend to do, though it sounds interesting. I have a few tenders (zone 9) planted that I plan to overwinter, as an experiment, by using the technique shown in the link below. I'll see how well it works.

I used to live in zone 6, and although my hardies died down in winter, they did return in May and fill out. I didn't mulch, but they survived. If I had protected them better, I'm sure they would have come back sooner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banana Tree Overwintering

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here