Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bulletz64

Bi-color in my Blue Eyes?

bulletz64
19 years ago

Hi! I'd just want to throw a question to all you fuschia lovers if you can explain this case to me? I started this fuschia (Blue Eyes) as a 2 inch starter. I almost lost it due to the intense heat we had here 1.5 months ago, but with TLC it was able to bounce back more vigorous and has a stunning display of flowers. Now, my question is: I noticed last week that one of the branches of this plant has a different color of fuschia. The entire plant (I had 3 remaining starter in one pot) has this red/lilac color but on one branch, it has a red/white blooms. At first, I thought I accidentally mixed one 2" start together with the other Blue Eyes, but when I traced where that branch is coming from, it's coming from the same mother branch that the other red/lilac blooms are. Has this happened to you? It's like I had 2 types in one plant! Am not complaining, though... :) Here's a close-up pic and the over-all pic.

Comments (9)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

I've been searching to try to find the parentage of Blue Eyes with no success, it was bred in the USA in 1954 by Reedstrom.

There are one of two reasons why this has happened.
    (a) That stem maybe reverting back to one of the parents of the mother plant or

(b) It could be a 'sport' that means a fault in the genes that is making the flower on that particular stem different to the rest of the plant.

Kath:)

• bulletz64
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Fuchsiabonsailady, I've been trying to wait for your reply... finally I see you're around! :) I've read something about that "sport" branch and I was also thinking along the same lines. Will I see more of this on my Blue Eyes or just this one time? And if it is reverting, would that mean that through time, it will be showing the red/white blooms more than the red/lilac ones? Since I'm in Seattle, are fuschias considered perennials? If so, I can overwinter it for next year's season? Thanks for your answers...

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

(a) "Will I see more of this on my Blue Eyes or just this one time?" - very difficult to predict, probably just this one.

(b) "And if it is reverting, would that mean that through time, it will be showing the red/white blooms more than the red/lilac ones" - also difficult to predict, more than likely 'yes'.

(c)"Since I'm in Seattle, are fuschias considered perennials? " As you are zone 8, it will need winter protection, it won't survive outside. If you don't have a heated greenhouse (45f) but can keep it in a well lit postion in a cool room at the end of the summer cut it back by at least two thirds, keep moist but not wet. It will soon start to shoot new growth again, then you can start pinching out throughout the winter to give you an even bigger flowering plant next year. Repot in the spring, not necessarily into a bigger pot, remove some of the old roots, approx, one third and give fresh soil. - Kath:)

• LePhare
    19 years ago

Kath. Just a thought, but would it be worth trying to take a cutting from the 'sport?' branch? The flower looks to be a good shape and size.
    IanS.

• bulletz64
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, Kath! You really gave me some ideas on what to do this winter, as I really want to keep them. But I have another question, when you say "...cut it back by at least two thirds..." do I also have to remove ALL foliage as what I read in some fuschia websites? And as what Ian said, could I make a cutting from the 'sport' branch?

• melrt968
    19 years ago

As suggested by Ian I would take a cutting(s)from the branch that may have 'sported'. Can I add that I do not remove foliage from my plants, sometimes all the leaves fall off of their own accord but the plants grow on normally the following year.

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Yes by all means take a cutting from the 'sport'.

It is up to you, after cutting your plant back in the Autumn, whether or not you remove all the rest of the foliage left.
    The advantage of doing so is that there is less risk of pests and diseases (which may be lurking on the old foliage) surviving on your plant throughout the winter. Old unnoticed leaves falling onto the soil can also start off botrytis (fungus) - Kath:)

• bulletz64
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks again, Kath and melrt968. I'm taking down all that you're saying. Please bear with me with my next questions: :)

a) When do I take a cutting? After all the blooms are gone and it nears Autumn or now when it's blooming?

b) Which part do I cut off? Will a small branch from the main 'sport' branch do?

c) Whar are the procedures from cutting to planting and thereafter?

I've read some procedure on how to propagate thru cutting, but since Kath had answered my questions, maybe I'll just follow your directions to prevent me getting confused... Thanks a lot for any help, guys!

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

You can take cuttings anytime of the year (winter time - of course you would have to have the facility of a heated greenhouse, conservatory or a well lit, cool room if you are keeping them 'in the green' as we say, that means continual growing, not letting them 'rest' in the winter like you would in an unheated, frost-free place).

At the moment you will probably find that all the growing tips have flower buds in them. You can cut the tiny buds off with scissors and take your cuttings from those growing tips, but much better is to remove a piece of stem, just above a node, (that's where you see side branches growing from), say approx. 2 inches, disgard that piece of stem. About 2 or 3 weeks later you will get new growth from that point, these are much stronger to use for cutting material.
    If you go to FAQ and click on 'How do I propogate fuchsias' it's all there :)

Don't hesitate to ask more questions :) :) :) Kath