Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions on growing a standard

Posted by Rita_h PNW 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 3, 04 at 19:24

Hi, a lurker here. I've grown fuchsias in pots & baskets for many years but this is the 1st time I've tried growing a "tree". I started late in spring and it's finally gotten to the desired height. I've pinched the top and am letting the head fill out, but I have some questions.

I left the big leaves on the main stem as described in the FAQ, but at what point does the plant quit trying to branch from the leaf axils? What size does the "head" need to be before I can remove these basal leaves?

The plant has sent out some branches from the base and I've kept the two strongest. Am planning on treating these like the main stem, maybe braiding them together for support so there would be 3 growing points at the top rather than one. Is this a good idea?

Any special hints for winter storage, and starting it back after overwintering?

It's currently growing in a gallon container. About what size pot should the final potting be? The final height of the plant is about 3-foot high.

I've found a few places on the net with advice for growing standards but haven't found one that's really informative... can you suggest your favorite sites for more info?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions on growing a standard

Hi Rita,
Different varieities react in different ways, as you have started pinching out the head, you can now remove those large leaves if they haven't already fallen off, keep removing the shoots out of the axils on the main stem as well, you need all the strength to go to the top/head.

You can try 'braiding' but this again will take strength out of the main stem, best to cut them off. Braiding is usually done from the beginning with 3 separate plants.

Overwintering:
(a) in a greenhouse at 45f. If this is possible you can carry on growing it through the winter, the more you pinch the bigger the head.

(a) in a frost free place like shed/garage, then you would have to remove all the foliage and trim the head a bit. Keeping it only just moist, it won't start to grow again until it is brought back into light and warmth.

In respect of final pot size, about 7 or 8 inches in diameter flower pot. - Kath:)

o
RE: Questions on growing a standard

Thanks, Kath!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here