Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rita_h

Questions on growing a standard

rita_h
19 years ago

Hi, a lurker here. I've grown fuchsias in pots & baskets for many years but this is the 1st time I've tried growing a "tree". I started late in spring and it's finally gotten to the desired height. I've pinched the top and am letting the head fill out, but I have some questions.

I left the big leaves on the main stem as described in the FAQ, but at what point does the plant quit trying to branch from the leaf axils? What size does the "head" need to be before I can remove these basal leaves?

The plant has sent out some branches from the base and I've kept the two strongest. Am planning on treating these like the main stem, maybe braiding them together for support so there would be 3 growing points at the top rather than one. Is this a good idea?

Any special hints for winter storage, and starting it back after overwintering?

It's currently growing in a gallon container. About what size pot should the final potting be? The final height of the plant is about 3-foot high.

I've found a few places on the net with advice for growing standards but haven't found one that's really informative... can you suggest your favorite sites for more info?

Comments (2)

Sponsored