Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevebrickley

Source for plants

stevebrickley
16 years ago

Can you help me find Fuchsia 'Popplecorn', 'Strybing's Peach', vulcanica or denticulata 'Blush Fandent' ? I'd be happy to trade some one year rooted Lapageria Rosea Myrtle Wolf Pink x ?

Steve

Comments (6)

• atash
    16 years ago

Earthworks Fuchsias in Covington, WA has Blush Fondant which I suspect is one of what you are looking for.

http://www.fuchsias.net/catalog/Uprights-Lg/Blush%20Fondant-Lg.htm

Several of us have F. denticulata including me. In fact, it happens to live right next to my Lapageria rosea!! I'm guessing the latter grows an order of magnitude faster at your latitude than mine. Mine is just a wee plant. Lemme try rooting a cutting.

I'm guessing from your list that you are looking for gall-mite resistent species and hybrids. Popplecorn and Strybing's peach might be hard to find outside of California (and specifically, away from Strybing arboretum where they were bred).

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

O.K.you two, I am so envious, Lapageria, ha, A girlfriend and I have been trying to grow this off and on for longer than I'd like to say. We have tried seeds many times with no success I know this is O.T. but can you give any hints on how to grow this vine from seed? It seems the plants of this are not available in Canada, at least I've never been able to find them and now I can't even find a source for seed.

A......

• atash
    16 years ago

Bad news, AM, there is a reason you are having a devil of a time with seeds.

You see, it is one of those strange plants that wants to germinate its seeds BEFORE THEY RIPEN while still in the fruit.

The seed has to be fresh to have much hope of germinating. Fresh seed germinates at rather cool temperatures (some people sprout them in their refrigerators). A bit of Gibberellin helps too.

I know some folks in BC; lemme ask them if they know of a source for plants.

Here's advice from a lady in Chile:

Propagation from seeds: during autumn. First wrapp the whole fruit in humid newspaper and place them in the vegetable/fruit compartment of the refrigerator at 4°C (38°F) for at least a month. After that period, part the fruit and extract the seeds to plant them in a deep tray (remember the root grows deep down) in a mix of 2 portions of compost, 2 portions of acidic soil, one portion sharp river sand and one portion peat moss to retain humidity. Whilst the root is already developing, you will only find the first true leaf in spring. Do not transplant before the plantil is one year old and has shown its first growth. If you have only a few seeds and not the whole fruit (looks similar to a Passion fruit), wrap them in humid newspaper and place them inside a glass with a lid before putting them in the refrigerator.

16 years ago

Thanks atash for the detailed growing instructions, I must say they are a far cry from any of the instructions we've received with seed which we've purchased. No wonder we've had no success. It sure would be nice to find a source for this beauty.

A......

• stevebrickley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't have any seed now, but I may have some in the next six months. Do you still want to try the Lapageria?

Steve

15 years ago

Thanks for the offer Steve, I was lucky enough to be given two seedlings last month so I've now got a start. Now the trick is to get them growing.
    A......

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County