Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taking cuttings of Wedding Day Fuschia

Posted by Karba z8 UK (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 29, 04 at 9:22

I have a gorgeous fuschia - Wedding Day, which we bought in the spring as we are getting married next year. It has very large, and pretty flowers. I would like to take cuttings from it before it dies down. I have only had an accidental success of growing a 'cutting' before(a branch broke off a different fuschia and I just stuck it in a pot already in the garden - still growing strong!). So I don't really know the best way of taking the cuttings. I have also missed a fruit and it has developed into a very large pod, I have found the FAQ to be alittle confusing - I have never dealt with a fuschia fruit before, so I dont know what to expect when I cut it, and when is it ripe?? Anyone willing to help me I would appreciate it, lots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taking cuttings of Wedding Day Fuschia

Hi Karba

I think your Fuchsia is actually called 'Happy Wedding Day'? a photograph can be seen at:

http://thebfs.org.uk/pictures/h/happyweddingday.html

This time of year in the UK is not the ideal time to take cuttings of Fuchsia and in order to help you it would be helpful if you could provide a little bit more information,

a) Are there any stems on the plants that DO NOT have flowers or buds visible?

b) What facilities do you have if you take cutting i.e. heated greenhouse, propagator or just a windowsill?

With regards to your Fuchsia seed pod, again the facilities that you have will dictate what you can do with it at this time of year.

Tight

o
RE: Taking cuttings of Wedding Day Fuschia

Look to see if there are any young shoots right at the base of the plant.Cut them off close to the bark.Remove the lower leaves. Stand in clean water - changing it at least twice a week until 1" long roots appear.Keep indoors in bright light but not full sun.Best method.

If there are only shoots with flower buds - carefully remove all of these with a pair of nail scissors.Rub off the lower leaves from the stem with your fingers so there is no trace of leaf stem left and wash clean.Cuttings should be about 3-4 " in length.Make the bottom cut just below a leaf node. Dip in hormone rooting powder and place inside a clear polythene bag with a few drops of water for 24 hours (to allow plant to absorb the hormone).Always use clean tap water not rainwater unless it is straight from the sky (fewer bacteria and fungi). Then either put in water as above (easier but less succesful) or dibble into sterilized sandy compost. 5 mins in the microwave to sterilize.Cover to avoid airborne fungi and allow soil to cool before dibbling. Place a jamjar over the top to form a mini greenhouse. After a few weeks remove the jamjar for short periods. At this time of year in UK rooting takes about 6 weeks its more of a faff but perfectly possible.Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here