Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My latest project--'Hardy' fuchsias IN the garden.

Posted by mkjones z8 TX (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 04 at 13:26

So, Kath, I bought a bunch of "hardy" fuchsias that are to be a good bet for my area....like heat, can handle my winter. Would they best be served in full sun, sun to partial shade, morning sun/afternoon shade, etc.? I know what my books and the vendors say, but REALLY, what's YOUR best advice for me?

=) Thanks, Kath--you're my Fuchsia Idol! lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My latest project--'Hardy' fuchsias IN the garden.

Hi there Kathleen,
You must be learning very well, I've missed your questions of late :)
As you live in Texas I'm going to say morning sun/definitely afternoon shade. Dig in plenty of compost before planting, remember fuchsias are greedy feeders and plant a bit deeper than they are in the pots.
Tease the roots out a bit before planting.
Keep the soil damp for the first couple of weeks, this will help the roots to penetrate the garden soil.
As they are in the garden you can water in the evenings when its cooler as the excess water will drain away.
Do let us know how you get on - Kath:)

o

Where did you buy your hardy fuschias? I grew up in England and in my area fuschias as bushes were as common as lilacs or forsythia. I'd love to have some again.

Thanks.

o

Hiya, Ponderosa--love that! The Cartwrights....=) I bought mine from www.fuchsia.net, Earthworks Fuchsia. Very nice lady--lots to choose from. The starts are very small, so just be forewarned. I really like doing business w/Linda, but the plants don't look like the ones in my books' recommendations (large, 4-in'ers). Another place I've found them is at www.accentsforthehomeandgarden.com....nice.

Good luck!
Kathleen

o

I got mine from Dutch Gardens--they have only one variety-
but they worked and bloomed all summer with the usual red/blue
coloring.

o

Sounds as if you're doing great ladies, persevere who knows how far you will go, glad you've had success - Kath:)

o

YESSSSSSSS! My "s. reitzii," "Peacheds and Cream," and "Celia Smedley" fuchsias are thriving AND have buds formed!!! The other 8 are doing fabulously as well, just no buds yet. I'm thrilled to get what's forming so far though!!

SO pleased with my further ventures into fuchsias.....=)

Kathleen in TX

o

Thanks for your reply Kathleen. I come from England and am used to all the wonderful fuscia varieties available there.
I miss them. I'll check into getting some from the sources you mentioned. I deal with small starts, but thanks for the warning.

Love the Cartwrights too and now I live on Ponderosa Rd. Since it is a private road I am the Queen of it..hence the Q!

Thanks again,
PQ

o

Hello,

I've been thinking of getting some fuchsias. I live near Dallas are these hardy to my area without having to bring them inside for the winter?

Thanks, Barb

o

Hi Mike and Barb,
If you look at the lists of uprights on the fuchsia.net site that you mentioned in the other thread, you will see before the name of a particular fuchsia H1, or H2 or H3. As you are zone 8 choose ones with H3 before the fuchsia name, they should be ok - Kath:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here