Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison_proctor

propagation

Allison Proctor
16 years ago

Hello! I am the only person on the face of the earth that cannot propagate a fuchsia. I even tried the method in the American horticultural society's propagation book. AND...nothing! I am paricularly interested in species fuchsias. I have heard they are more difficult. PLEASE HELP!

Comments (9)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Fuchsia seed has to be fresh otherwise the germination rate can go from poor to none at all. Sow seed on slightly moistened compost with just a dusting of compost over them. I mist the top of the compost with water, don't let it dry out but make sure the compost is not too wet. The pots are then placed under a clear plastic lid and stay there until true leaves appear. The seed can take quite a time to germinate.

I do cuttings several ways but the way I use the most with a 99% success rate is in little plastic medicine cups you can buy at the drugstore in sleeves of 50 or 100. These I fill with chicken grit (bought at a feed store) top up with water. My cuttings are mostly made from new growth, cut just below a leaf node with a clean sharp knife. I don't bother with a rooting hormone just make a hole with a meat skewer and place the cutting in. Label each little cup with the variety name on a piece of masking tape as you do them, tape it to the side of the cup, if you're anything like me 10 minutes later you will have forgotten what it is. I put these in one of those domed plastic flats sold by most garden centers. This time of year my cuttings are under florescent lights, spring and summer they're in the greenhouse. My husband made a styrofoam insert with holes cut the diameter of the plastic cups, this fits inside the flat, the cups are placed in the holes this way there's no chance of them falling over. I check it every few days to make sure the grit is wet, mist the tops with water on occasion. Fuchsias root really well for me this way. Hope this is of some help.

A......

• atash
    16 years ago

>>I am paricularly interested in species fuchsias. I have heard they are more difficult.

Depends on the species. Some are very easy. I've had people drive over my Fuchsias, rip them to shreds, drag the pieces all over the place, and then 6 months later there are Fuchsias all over the place from self-rooted debris.

GENERALLY what roots best are half-ripe shoot tips. Good pieces to try are ones that for whatever reason have lots of nodes bunched up close together.

Remove all the leaves except the youngest roughly 3 at the very tip. Carefully remove all flower buds. You can dip in rooting powder if you like, set them in a course, well-aerated growing medium, and keep them HUMID at mild temperatures and bright indirect light. In about 1-3 weeks you should have roots popping out in every direction from every possible node (only slight exaggeration).

Many species will root about as easily as a willow just by putting the cut end in a jar of water. Willow-tonic, by the way, will help stubborn ones root! It's full of some rooting hormone.

• Allison Proctor
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try both methods. I do have a clone machine as well. NO dice... Has anyone had luck with these and fuchsias? Thanks again!

16 years ago

I also have a clone machine, mine is a Jet Gro, clone 20. I just love mine. I went to the Plastic Shop and had a tight fitting clear Plastic lid made for it, this way you don't have to mist the leaves ever, in fact you just have to check once in awhile to see when they've rooted.
    I've rooted a number of things in it with great success, just cleaned it out in fact and put it away for the winter.
    The last things rooted in it this season were Fuchsias, no cloning solution, no rooting hormone, just water. I ran out of solution, it worked just fine.
    Early in the year I use this in the greenhouse, later on I use it outside in an area that is covered, it should work really well under lights.
    When rooting Fuchsias in the little slotted cups I some times place a little piece of paper towel in the bottom of the cup to stop the cutting from falling through. No problem, I just leave this on when potting up.

A......

• Allison Proctor
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When you use your clone machine outside is the air temperature really cool? I think part of my problem is it is in the house and the room does get warm. I love my cloner too! I also use a plastic cover. The only fuchsia I have gotten to root in it though was a Gartenmeister Bonstedt and I think that type would just root if you looked at it funny. Thanks so much for your help!

16 years ago

Lalameija, I would think normal house temperatures would be just fine, I took mine out of the greenhouse quite early on, probably around the end of June. We have a lattice enclosure around our Koi pool which has a fiberglass roof. It doesn't get as hot as the greenhouse and it is a little more shaded but the temperature did get up in the high 80's at times. This is where I kept it all summer until last week and although it had turned quite cold, the last batch of cuttings did root. I did notice they took longer to root, maybe because it had turned cold or maybe no cloning solution. All the batches with exception of the last had good roots in 7-10 days. The last batch took a little over 3 weeks.
    The lid I had made was actually plexiglas not plastic, works like a charm, no evaporation, good visibility and no having to mist. Another point, all my cuttings were tip cuttings from new growth, these always root faster than other types of cuttings for me.

A......

• kenwoodlad
    15 years ago

I have started to use glass or plastic screw top coffee jars and jam jars as propagators. As long as I can fit a little plant pot inside. I dampen the compost/soil, plant the cutting, place on the lid and put the jar on top then screw the lid on. The finished item is an upside down jar with a fuchsia cutting inside. I keep the cutting in the jar until it has established itself. The moisture inside the jar is sufficient to keep the cutting damp. Just keep an eye on it so that botritis does not happen.Keep in a warm place.

• PDXbrian
    12 years ago

I have cut through the roots in fall, leaving some in place and separating the uprooted roots and placing in new locations. All have done well. Infact, I am going to do more today for next year's enjoyment!

• FshyPlnts
    12 years ago

Hey,
    I have the berries from a fuchsia plant. How do I get the seeds from them? And then, what do I need to do to prepare them for propagation?

Here is a link that might be useful: Envi Sci and Fishy Plants

Sponsored