Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fuchsia 'Roesse Blacky'

Posted by melrt968 u.k. scotland (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 04 at 10:40

I was given two plants of this new 'black' fuchsia' in early summer. I am disappointed with them, the flowers are very similar to Dorothy Hanley but the plant growth is much less vigourous. Has anyone else grown this fuchsia? I would interested to know what results you got and if there are any special tips for growing them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fuchsia 'Roesse Blacky'

Hi Ron

Sorry but I cant help you with your question only pass on a simple observation;

With Roesse Blacky having the parentage of (Gruss aus dem Bodethal x Rohess Alrami) x Stad Elberg it should have inherited some of its parents prolific flowering qualities. Gruss aus dem Bodethal is synonymous with Black Prince (Banks 1861)- so one of its parents has been around a while and stood the test of time.

A similar colour fuchsia was introduced by Thornley in 1972 called 'Ravensbarrow', however this was a single flowered cultivar.

Not being a variety that seemed destined for the show bench I have seen very little of this cultivar, although I have seen it advertised almost everywhere, perhaps that should tell us something?

I will ask a fuchsia nursery owner friend of mine to see if he can throw any light on the matter.

Tight

o

Hi Ron,

I grew a couple R.B's in hanging baskets, and was not overly impressed by the vigour of the plant, but this being the first year, I was hoping for better results next year. My growing conditions may not have been ideal as they had to make do with full sun all summer, although I did water daily when needed. I gave a neighbour a cutting early on and his plant seemed to do better than mine. He is a 'Miracle-Gro' person, so this may account for it.
This was my first year with fuchsias so everything was very 'trial and error'..........and a lot of learning.

o

For what it's worth, I can see very little difference between Roesse Blacky and Rohees New Millenium - Kath:)

o

I was very disappointed with the colour as there is nothing new about it just a dark purple. In Thompson & Morgan's brochure it looks nearly black, so thumbs down I'am afraid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here