Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help growing Hardy Fuchsia Magellanica

Posted by austin0013 Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 19:20

I planted 10 seeds indoors and kept them in a ceramic pot under 85 degree light in my basement for 16 hours a day, and turned off the light for 8 hours at night. It's been 4 weeks and nothing! I have kept the soil moist and continuously sprayed the surface with water as well... What gives?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help growing Hardy Fuchsia Magellanica

Do you mean the seed bed hits 85 degrees F? That seems very warm to me, for most Fuchsias.

F. magellanica is native in the Andes, and also along the coast down in southern Chile down as far south as the Straits of Magellan, which have a climate comparable to that of the Alaskan panhandle. Like most Fuchsias, its biochemistry is optimized for cool temperatures. At high temperatures, its chemistry slows down to a crawl which is why Fuchsias get disease prone in the heat and why I answer a lot of questions about "why is my Fuchsia dying" when the weather gets hot (and the answer is always the same...).

Is your seed fresh? I doubt it has long viability. If it's old seed I can probably send you fresh. This was a bad year for Fuchsias on the Pacific Coast but I probably have a few berries ripening on my Magellanica type by now. It's a small-flowered, short-tubed, small-leaved, extra-hardy type probably derived from "Riccartoni" (it looks just like Riccartoni), which, by the way, is almost never the real thing in the USA. It showed up as a volunteer in my garden, probably a chance seedling of a hybrid based on Riccartoni that reverted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here