Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardy white fuchsia

Posted by Jajohnson2 8 WA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 05 at 21:12

I recently saw a very unique hardy fuchsia at a nursery but didn't buy it at the time because they had it already potted up in an expensive container with other plants. Now I'm kicking myself for not writing down the name. The blossoms are fairly dainty and are white with a hint of green. Does anyone know what it might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardy white fuchsia

Hi

This is one that I grow here in the North of the UK whick I think meets with your description, it is called 'Hawkeshead'. There is also another which is very much like this called 'Grayrigg'.

I hope this helps,

Tight....

o

Thank you, Tight. That does look right, although the name doesn't sound familiar. It may have a different name here in the states. It gives me a place to begin.

o

Possibly Fuchsia magellanica 'Alba'?

o

Unfortunately, F.m. 'Alba' is not white at all but a pale pink and now more correctly named F.m. var. molinae (aka Angel's or Maiden's Blush). There are few pure white hardy fuchsias, specially with that dainty form you describe. I'd also bet on either 'Hawkshead' or 'Grayrigg'. Both are pretty common in better PNW nurseries.

o

After doing more research, I'm pretty sure it is 'Hawkshead'.
Thanks, all, for your input.

o

An annual fuschia that flowered in my garden which I considered all white, is named "flying cloud". It's described as having a blush in the center that appears only upon close inspection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here