Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamthegardener

fuchsias in Spain - like inland california?

adamthegardener
19 years ago

Help please, I know that a lot of particularly large flowered varieties of Fuchsia originate in the US so can fuchsias grow OK in hot climates? Temps in central spain can get up to 38 to 42 deg centigrade I guess similar to inland California. What types do you recommend and when is best time for propagation? All help gratefully reveived

Comments (7)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Hi Adam,
    Are you possibly referring to what we cal 'Californian Dreamers', large flowered doubles?
    Generally speaking most fuchsias prefer it to be a bit cooler, round about the 20c's.

If you scroll down and read some of the postings from the summertime, you will see that a lot of our californian friends do have problems trying to keep them cool, some even take them indoors into an area with air-conditioning.

Going back to your question, I had a Spanish fuchsia friend once and she was successful, but I have to add she lived in one of the higher regions of Spain, therefore cooler compared to the Mediterranean coastal regions.

Were you wanting to grow fuchsias in Spain then? Kath :)

• kankayak
    19 years ago

Just started getting serious about fuchsias myself. I cannot find the web site right now, (maybe some one else will jump in). but there is a article about the "Proven Selection" line of fuchsias being able to take the heat. The two fuchsias are, "Angels Earrings" and "Snow Fire". I have been unable to locate them , Period. Best I can find out is in April the Nurserys will start to list them..

If I find the web site I will post same in the next day or two..

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi Adam

I recall some years ago reading an article (I think it was in a British Fuchsia Society publication) from someone growing fuchsias in South Africa. If I recall correctly the fuchsias they grew spent much of their time in what they described as a Âshade house made from laths' (strips of flat timber) and the ground being covered with gravel or pea shingle to enable this to be watered and create a humid atmosphere.

I would further suggest that plants in pots are double potted and gravel is added to the space between pots, this could help to keep the plant roots cooler and help prevent the scorching heat from burning the roots through the single pot sides, using clay terracotta pots would also help.

As to varieties, some as you know will completely scorch, wilt and wither while others just Âburn (the leaf colour changes to red) if the temperature becomes too high and these seem to be the smaller flowered varieties, with some exceptions of course. The Triphylla types grow well in direct sunlight but even these would I think suffer from extremes.

In the words of ÂConnie FuchsiusÂ;

"If you donÂt grow  you donÂt know - give whatever you can buy a try"

In my opinion (for what its worth) I think the shade house system, double potting, lots of gravel on the floor, watering the plants very early morning, providing humidity by watering the gravel floor whenever possible and a lot of moving plants around when the sun is not at it fiercest looks the best prospect  seems like hard work  but no doubt well worth itÂ..

Tight....

• kankayak
    19 years ago

Well Written, Tight. That even helps me.. Is that info going to be in your book also? bob in Kansas

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Yes Kankayak,
    I've been seaching through the links here from the past year, for the nursery in the US that sold the 'Angel's Earrings' - still can't find it - if anyone knows please come back and let us know, thanks, Kath:)

• Dionosaur
    19 years ago

I lived in Portugal for 2 years (near Lisbon) and I grew gorgeous fuchsias on the north facing side of my apartment. However, it doesn't get as hot and dry there as it does in the southern part of Spain. But I also grow them here in So. Cal. and as long as you keep them well watered and out of direct sunlight they seem to do fine. Mine only get a little bit of direct sunlight early in the morning.

• califplanted
    19 years ago

I live in the Central Valley of California and successfully grow Fuchsias in the ground. I have the best luck by planting them under evergreen trees facing east. The hardiest ones, to both heat and cold, are placed so that they receive morning sun until 10 a.m. This living canopy cools them during the hot afternoons of summer and traps some of the warmth in the soil during the winter. The more sensitive the plant the further back under the tree I plant it.
    Where I live it gets down to about to around 25F. a couple of times each winter and above 100F. during the summer. In July 2003, we had 17 days at or above 100. The hottest day was 110. On the very hot days I turn on misters in the afternoon.
    Some fuchsias varieties can take quite a bit more heat and cold than others, if their parents come from more extreme native habitats. I have seen catalogues selling fuchsias with claims of zone 7 survival when mulched for protection.
    John

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations