Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name please

Posted by waterdude pnw (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 6, 04 at 16:01

I saw a type of fuchsia the other day on TV and can't remember the name. It was a hardy with whit flowers and a slight green hue on the flower tips. It was a "Hawks back" or Hawgsback" something i think. Familiar anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name please

Hi Waterdude

I think the variety you are thinking of is 'Hawkshead' a very profuse small white with green tips cultivar that is extremely hardy. I have grown it in my garden for many years now and I cut it back really hard every spring and now it is about six foot high. It is getting on for midnight here in the UK so I will have to wait until morning to take a photograph but I will post one tomorrow.

Tight ....

o

Hi Waterdude,
Here is a close-up of flower, maybe you have one of the whole bush Tight!

o

Hi Waterdude

As promised photographs of 'Hawkshead'

It makes about 4ft to 5ft growth each season.

Tight ....

o

Thats it!!:) Thanks for the information. I'm going to get this plant for my garden next spring. Any special tips I need to know for this variety?

o

Hi Waterdude

The only information that I can give you is that this variety is extremely hardy, very vigorous and will make 4ft every year. If left unchecked it will make a very large bush or even a good hedge.

As I said before I cut my Hawkshead very hard every year and I never have to 'pinch' it at all and it only has the occasional general purpose feed. The plant in the photograph is about 12 years old.

This cultivar was raised by Travis in 1962 and is named after the small town of Hawkshead in the English Lake District.

I hope you manage to obtain a plant and it lives up to your expectations.

Tight ....

o

Thanks Tight,
Hope I can get one to look as nice as yours. Twelve years...nice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here