Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fuchsia dropping a lot of leaves suddenly

Posted by daffodilian none (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 17:13

Hello all,

I bought a lovely Gartenmeister Fuchsia about two months ago that was doing very well on my north-facing balcony - growing new branches and putting out tons of blooms. However, a few weeks ago I discovered the bottom leaves yellowing and then dropping off. Initially it didn't concern me as I thought it was just the old leaves senescing, but over the past two weeks a TON of leaves of yellowed and dropped off, leaving half my plant bare.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? I'm not sure what the issue is as I haven't changed my care regimen. I water the plant typically daily (it's rather dry where I live) and fertilize maybe biweekly with generic plant food. About a month ago I found aphids on the plant and got rid of them with soap and neem oil, but the drying of leaves started before the aphid attack and has continued despite the fact that I don't see any more pests and haven't used any more neem oil on the plant.

Lessee other info that might be helpful: I live in Northern California so I don't think frost /cold is an issue. The plant is sitting on a balcony with a bacopa, serbian bellflower, and another fuchsia all of which are watered near daily and are doing fine.

Help / advice would be much needed. Hopefully I can save my beautiful plant!

~Maria

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fuchsia dropping a lot of leaves suddenly

Here's a picture of the fuller fuchsia from before the leaves suddenly started dropping

o
RE: Fuchsia dropping a lot of leaves suddenly

Some suggestions: I would say it is being overfed and overwatered. Once a month would be plenty for the feeding. I'd put the pot in a saucer and water less often. And the pot looks a bit small too. For aphids on single pot plants I'd rinse the plant under the tap and swoosh with my fingers rather than spray with soap or anything else. That might have contributed to the malaise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here