Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lephare_gw

Plant I.D.

LePhare
19 years ago

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if someone could help me by suggesting which fuchsia this could be.

A small to medium flower, red sepals with a hint of pink in the colour. It has no corolla and insignificant light coloured stamens, a long red pistil and red stigma. The leaves are small to medium and single green. The plant is hardy in this part of Cornwall and can flower from Summer until Christmas.

It did have a label a few years ago, but it was stolen by gnomes! Thanks for your help.

IanS

Comments (13)

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi Ian

Any chance of a photograph, I can't think of an apetalous fuchsia that is hardy.

Tight....

• LePhare
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Tight,
    I'm unable to post a pic, but can send one to your 'jpns' e-mail address, if that is o.k with you.
    IanS.

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi Ian

There is no problem either contacting me or posting photographs to JPNS - it is our business address.

Tight

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi All

This is the plant that Ian would like help to idendify.

Any suggestions

Tight....

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi All

A couple more photographs that may help in identifying this cultivar.

The Flower

The bud (with raindrop)

Tight....

• LePhare
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Tight. I really must get to grip with posting pictures, but by the time I get any time to myself it's 11.30 pm.
    Love the raindrop. We have plenty of those in Cornwall.
    IanS.

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

I'm wondering if it could be f.regia ssp. which is all red, hardy and has a minute corolla high up inside the sepals! - Kath:)

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi Kath

Did you have any particular f.regia ssp in mind?

I have searched for this everywhere and cannot find it, I appreciate what you are saying about f.regia but the red pistil seems to negate this.

It is a long time since I grew f.regia but from what I recall it was a smaller flower and a darker leaf colour.

Tight....

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

To try to answer your question Tight, as you most probably know

f.regia =
    Tube = red
    Sepals = red
    Coralla visible = dark red

f.regia subsp. reitzii 4512 =
    Tube = red
    Sepals = red
    Corolla visible = purple

f.regia subsp. reitzii =
    Tube = red
    Sepals = red
    Corolla visible = purple

f.regia (subspecies)=
    Tube = red
    Sepals = red
    Corolla very minute = red
    That's why I suggested it might be this one, as the pics. I have from the Dutch book '1000 Fuchsias to Look At' the pistil is also red and the leaves a lighter green than the normal f.regia which we grow. Of course I could be wrong :)
    Kath

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi Kath

Not a problem, I have sought the help of some good friends of mine who you may also know, Jack and Joan Lamb, as they hold the National Fuchsia Species collection if anyone should know they should, but then again...

Tight....

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi Kath,

I got a reply from Jack, in his words,

"It looks to me like a strag seedling from magellanica that appeared in East Anglia a few years ago. I thought it had been binned."

Now the 'strag' could be a typo of 'stray' but then again I am not a perfect typist either.

Seems that we are no nearer establishing this plant .... unless anyone else has any ideas.

Tight....

• LePhare
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm still trying to think where the plant may have come from. I've always collected cutting. A pinch here, a tip there, but I have a feeling that it may have come with 6 bush and 6 trailers I bought from one of the bigger suppliers about 3 or 4 years ago.
    I now have two plants, which brighten up a dull corner, and will be in flower until Christmas. I have noticed that they do not produce seed pods so may be sterile. I'll double check tomorrow.
    IanS

• LePhare
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I've taken a closer look at the two plants and think that Jack Lamb may be right and that is is a stray. There is no sign of pollonation and many of the flowers have deformed pistils, some have none at all. It could well be a reject from a grower that some how has ended up with me.
    It would never win Best in Show, but I like it because it works hard.
    Thanks for all your input and if you have ay other ideas, I would be very pleased to hear them.
    IanS

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES