Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant I.D.

Posted by LePhare Cornwall.UK (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 04 at 18:52

Hi Folks,
Just wondering if someone could help me by suggesting which fuchsia this could be.
A small to medium flower, red sepals with a hint of pink in the colour. It has no corolla and insignificant light coloured stamens, a long red pistil and red stigma. The leaves are small to medium and single green. The plant is hardy in this part of Cornwall and can flower from Summer until Christmas.
It did have a label a few years ago, but it was stolen by gnomes! Thanks for your help.
IanS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant I.D.

Hi Ian

Any chance of a photograph, I can't think of an apetalous fuchsia that is hardy.

Tight....

o

Hi Tight,
I'm unable to post a pic, but can send one to your 'jpns' e-mail address, if that is o.k with you.
IanS.

o

Hi Ian

There is no problem either contacting me or posting photographs to JPNS - it is our business address.

Tight

o

Hi All

This is the plant that Ian would like help to idendify.

Any suggestions

Tight....

o
RE: MORE Plant I.D.

Hi All

A couple more photographs that may help in identifying this cultivar.

The Flower

The bud (with raindrop)

Tight....

o

Thanks Tight. I really must get to grip with posting pictures, but by the time I get any time to myself it's 11.30 pm.
Love the raindrop. We have plenty of those in Cornwall.
IanS.

o

I'm wondering if it could be f.regia ssp. which is all red, hardy and has a minute corolla high up inside the sepals! - Kath:)

o

Hi Kath

Did you have any particular f.regia ssp in mind?

I have searched for this everywhere and cannot find it, I appreciate what you are saying about f.regia but the red pistil seems to negate this.

It is a long time since I grew f.regia but from what I recall it was a smaller flower and a darker leaf colour.

Tight....

o

To try to answer your question Tight, as you most probably know

f.regia =
Tube = red
Sepals = red
Coralla visible = dark red

f.regia subsp. reitzii 4512 =
Tube = red
Sepals = red
Corolla visible = purple

f.regia subsp. reitzii =
Tube = red
Sepals = red
Corolla visible = purple

f.regia (subspecies)=
Tube = red
Sepals = red
Corolla very minute = red
That's why I suggested it might be this one, as the pics. I have from the Dutch book '1000 Fuchsias to Look At' the pistil is also red and the leaves a lighter green than the normal f.regia which we grow. Of course I could be wrong :)
Kath

o

Hi Kath

Not a problem, I have sought the help of some good friends of mine who you may also know, Jack and Joan Lamb, as they hold the National Fuchsia Species collection if anyone should know they should, but then again...

Tight....

o

Hi Kath,

I got a reply from Jack, in his words,

"It looks to me like a strag seedling from magellanica that appeared in East Anglia a few years ago. I thought it had been binned."

Now the 'strag' could be a typo of 'stray' but then again I am not a perfect typist either.

Seems that we are no nearer establishing this plant .... unless anyone else has any ideas.

Tight....

o

I'm still trying to think where the plant may have come from. I've always collected cutting. A pinch here, a tip there, but I have a feeling that it may have come with 6 bush and 6 trailers I bought from one of the bigger suppliers about 3 or 4 years ago.
I now have two plants, which brighten up a dull corner, and will be in flower until Christmas. I have noticed that they do not produce seed pods so may be sterile. I'll double check tomorrow.
IanS

o

I've taken a closer look at the two plants and think that Jack Lamb may be right and that is is a stray. There is no sign of pollonation and many of the flowers have deformed pistils, some have none at all. It could well be a reject from a grower that some how has ended up with me.
It would never win Best in Show, but I like it because it works hard.
Thanks for all your input and if you have ay other ideas, I would be very pleased to hear them.
IanS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here