Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Fuschia in zone 9

Posted by olddog1213 9a-b (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 18, 06 at 6:34

Can anyone advise me on growing fuschia in central florida? Thought I would like to try them and have no idea how to start and what ones to get and what to expect when I do start. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Fuschia in zone 9

You will have difficulty, but there are possibilities.

Fuchsia triphylla is unique among the Fuchsias in coming from the West Indies. It is a warm-growing tropical Fuchsia. It is one of the few Fuchsias that actually likes hot muggy weather.

It comes in many named forms and is gorgeous. It is one of those types that produce all its flowers on the ends of shoots, instead of in the leaf axils. Some forms of it like the beautiful and wildly popular "Gartenmeister Bonstedt" have a gorgeous metalic red sheen on their leaves.

It should be OK between frosts (which I assume don't come every year in Central Florida), but you might want to mulch it just in case. Its tolerance for frost is VERY low. It might tolerate a mild and very brief frost but nothing prolonged. One hybrid of it called "Billy Green" that has candy pink blossoms tolerates mild frosts.

Now here is what I don't know: Fuchsias in general have low tolerance for Phytophthora, which is a problem in many of the southern states, but maybe not so much if your soil is favorable. I know that parts of Florida have alkaline soil so watch the pH and give them acidic fertilizer if they start going chlorotic. Fuchsias aren't picky otherwise and they have fine greedy aggressive roots.

Another tropical Fuchsia is F. paniculata from Central America. It is not as showy as F. triphylla. It has attractive glossy leaves tho and the flowers aren't ugly, just small and a modest shade of pink.

F. boliviana is more-or-less tropical but I don't know how much heat it stands. It is quite showy especially its scarlet and white "alba" form.

o
RE: Growing Fuschia in zone 9

Thanks for the info. I am going to try some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here