Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Normal? White Thready stuff ?

Posted by DesperationFalls z5 MA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 12, 04 at 12:14

Hi, I need help from the fuschia gurus.
I examined my Gartenbonmeister (now indoors) very closely
this morning and found that every intersection of leaf with stem has several thready (about 2-3mm--i.e. 1/32-1/16 inch)
whitish-greenish) things. I looked with a magnifying glass
and using 3 pairs of reading glasses and can't see any
'beings--like mealybugs'

Question: Is this normal on a fuschia? I don't have
any other fuschias to compare this one with, so I don't
know.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Normal? White Thready stuff ?

Hi Desperation

You may possibly have (or have had) an attack of mealy bug even though you cant see the actual insects. I havent experienced what you describe on any of my fuchsias but I have had something similar with Auriculas when I used to grow these for show some years ago. The way I treated these was to remove the web using a large artists brush (a half inch paint brush will do) dipped into methylated spirit and brushed over the web.

You need to check under the leaves whenever you are either checking for pests or treating them, you will have the best results if you actually spray up from the base of your plants and forget the spraying over the top as the foliage acts like an umbrella and sheds the moisture away from where you want it.

I am not sure how large the plant is if it isnt too big you can always dunk it in hand hot water for 10 seconds as described on my site make sure that you only have the water hand hot though I dont want you to burn your pinkies.

Come back and let us know how you get on,

Tight....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here