Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost Indoors

Posted by tightathome Yorks - UK (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 9, 04 at 16:18

Hi All

The first stage of my process of taking cuttings (starts) is now underway. I have measured out the compost (the stuff that goes in the tray - not the stuff that you allow to rot down in a corner of your garden). The measurement is 4 x 5" pots of compost to 2 x 5" pots of perlite (my perlite is fairly coarse - the coarser the better).

The compost and perlite need mixing together and I find the easiest way to do this is to use a large plastic (polythene) bag add the compost and perlite and then holding the top closed shaking steadily from top to bottom until the mixing is complete (usually a minute or so). At this stage I will check for moisture in the mix by squeezing the compost, if it sticks to my hands it is too wet - if it doesn't form a ball it is too dry and if it forms a ball then falls apart in my hand when touched it is just right.If water is needed do this by using a hand spray and plain water, if too much water is in the compost add a little more perlite and let the mix stand for a day or so before re-checking.

This mixed bag has been placed in the greenhouse to warm up a little (it's fairly cool here at the moment and as the compost is stored outside I find that it is better to do that. The cuttings won't appreciate cold feet and they will root better with a bit of warmth.

It will be a couple of days now before the compost is warm enough to use.... bye for now

Tight....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost Indoors

This I like.. But I bet we drive you crazy with questions.

Your compost, what is it composed of? A seed starting mix, sand, or?

o
RE: Compost Indoors

Hi Bob and All

I need to get a few bits ready today for when I have taken my cuttings. I will post some more information later when I have done this and post some more photos to show you what I have been doin.

In the meantime, to answer your question Bob, this is the 'compost' I am using at the moment, a simple multi purpose compost.

It has sufficient nutrients to get the roots searching for food as soon as they have formed and although some growers say that the compost should be virtually inert I have used this method for years.

If it produces nice short cuttings and a good root system like this, I think I will stick with what I am doing

Tight....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here