Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prune Fuschia?

Posted by socks12345 So. Calif. z10 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 26, 04 at 21:13

I know we have hashed this over on a couple of other threads and the FAQ, but if I'm going to prune my fuschia, I need courage!

The bush is in the ground and about 5' tall and still has blooms on it. It has a blue-green heart shaped leaf. It is looking leggy. If blooms come on new growth, I feel it should be cut back. But how much? 1/3? 1/2?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prune Fuschia?

hi Susan,
In your wonderful climate, cutting it back by half will be ok, then dig in some organic manure, or fish blood and bone meal and later when it starts to shoot new growth give it a liquid feed of high nitrogen NPK 20-10-10. When the leaves are fully developed again feed with a balanced feed NPK 20-20-20. Kath:)

o

Thank you for all the suggestions. Do you use steer manure?

o

If you're going to use steer manure, make sure it's old. If you buy yours in a sanitised form eg pellets, it should be fine to use straight out of the bag. Sheep pellets are also very good. Powdered and mixed with the soil is also useful and it helps hold moisture. However, if you put it on too thickly it can form a crust which will stop water getting through. Lightly fork it to break the seal if this does happen.

If you just hauled it out the pasture, put it into an opaque, heavy-duty plastic baggie and let it age into a no-smell, no lumps, lightly moist substance, probably with an earthworm population. If you don't, and someone was feeding out hay, you could import lots of interesting pasture weeds with tenacious roots.

Blood and bone is also appreciated by fuchsias, especially under a mulch, to stop nitrogen robbing by the working microbes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here