Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldpianogarden

starting cuttings in water?

goldpianogarden
19 years ago

I tried to go back through many, many messages to see if anyone had asked this recently, but didn't see it. So, I have 4 large cuttings from a really big fuschia 'shrub' (maybe 7 feet tall by 10 feet wide) that a local has had in their yard (always in bloom) for many years. I know some cuttings can be started in water. Is this possible with these fuschia cuttings, or do I have to stick them in dirt? Is there any general rule for what kinds of plants you can root in water as opposed to dirt? Barry

Comments (5)

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi Barry

I think that almost any fuchsia cutting can be rooted in water and probably many thousands, if not tens of thousands, are done so every year.

One of the problems associated with rooting in this way is that the roots become very soft with being in the water and not having to spread out in a compost looking for moisture.

A good method if you want to root this way is once the roots begin to show add a little of your normal potting compost every day to the glass or whatever you are rooting in, you don't need a bucket, just enought to cover the base of the cutting by about an inch or so.

Within a short time you will have cuttings growing in your normal growing medium.

I hope this helps but if you need any further help please come back tot the forum.

Tight....

• socks
    19 years ago

On another forum the question was asked about what plants are easiest to start in water, and fuschia came up several times.

I wonder if this is the best time to do it, or spring? Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained! I might try it myself.

• LePhare
    19 years ago

It has to be done with young tips, no more than about two sets of leaves is best. If the stem is beginning to, or has become woody, then rooting in water is not the best method.
    I've recently taken a few cuttings, to root in water, from a couple of pants which I am overwintering indoors. The stems are fresh and green and should show signs of rooting in about 2 to 3 weeks.
    When the roots are about half an inch long, the plantlet can be carefully planted into a light growing medium and gently watered in. Give it light, keep it warm and all should be well.
    IanS.

• VMWOOD
    19 years ago

A way that works better for me is to place the cutting in a small container (styrofoam cups work well) of wet potting soil. Then place inside a plastic bag to retain moisture. After a week or so cuttings will be rooted and can be removed from plastic bags. At the URL shown below you can see a hanging basket on the left that was started this way.

Now if somebody can just tell me how to get them to bloom in the winter.

Marv from Montezuma IA

Here is a link that might be useful: Inside Greenhouse 2

• LePhare
    19 years ago

Hi Marv,

To bloom in winter? The simple answer is warmth and light.
    You grow A.V's, I presume, under lights, so why not try a fuchsia. I keep a few plants indoors to take early cuttings and often they will start forming buds, so give it a try.
    IanS.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler