Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcy72_gw

HAVE: Spring Plant Trade

Marcy72
18 years ago

Hey all, this thread is for everybody who wants to start thinking about the spring trade.

I'm looking for roses (hybrid tea or floribundas, mostly, but also looking hard for knockouts), creeping fig, pachysandra, vietnamese boxwood, clematis, japanese anemone, toad lilies, hellebores, shade-tolerant groundcovers, herbs and veggies, and much more :)

I'm still figuring out what I have for trade, but definitely a few roses, azaleas, nandina, honeysuckle, mondo, etc etc. Will post more as I see what I have.

Comments (132)

• pins2006
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Squirrellpete, could I have some balloon flowers? I just love them.

If anyone has some, I'd love some brunnera and pulmonaria.

Marcy, I have strawberries and mazus. It is growing into the grass, but it looks wonderful with the tiny flowers.

• squirrellypete
    18 years ago

Hi pins. Sure, I'll add some balloon flowers to your list.

Squirrellypete

• Jayman_GA
    18 years ago

I don't mean to sound stupid...but I will. What was the date we selected for the swap?
    Jayman

• squirrellypete
    18 years ago

Saturday April 29th I think Jayman =)

Squirrellypete

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Nobody has really asked me for much in trades. Since I have to travel a longer distance for this trade, I will not be bringing the same quantities of plants as I normally do.
    Maybe you are all just sick of what I have to offer, lol. But if I have something you want, please speak up so that you may have the chance to get it.
    Both my seeds and plants are listed here:
    http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/girlgroupgirl

This does not include in coming seedlings, annuals, and many other things I hope to germinate (and grow) in the next month. Please check back. I will be posting as they arrive.

GGG

• garischa
    18 years ago

Girlgroupgirl -
    I always love to trade with you, but I have been holding off posting my haves/wants until I have a better idea of how successful my wintersowing will be.

But I'll go ahead and tell you what I am interested in, and then we can figure out what I can bring for you in return. I would like some of your strawberry begonia, some angelina sedum (you gave me some last year; I really like the color of this one), and maybe the "weird" euphorbia (sounds interesting).

I don't know if I have any of your specific wants, but I can always bring you another small hosta, a small fern or something along those lines. I'll post a more complete list of my haves soon.

Uli (garischa)

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Uli:
    You may certainly have what you want. I'd be very happy with any hardy fern, especially evergreen. I am up to my ears in hosts. I am growing about 200 from seed this year!!!

GGG

• squirrellypete
    18 years ago

Just remembered a few more things I'm looking for if anyone has them to trade. Alot of them are probably long shots but what the heck:

Japanese Blood Grass
    Alstroemeria (any colors)
    'Crippsii' False Cypress (Chamaecyparis) -- cuttings rooted or unrooted would be just fine
    Clematis (any varieties but Jackmanii, Dr. Ruppel & Nike Warsaw) -- especially looking for pinks, whites, or reds and/or any double-flowered varieties
    'Illustris' Elephant Ear
    Riverbirch Tree/seedling
    Red Bud Tree/seedling
    Japanese Cherry Tree/seedling (pink or white -- just something that flowers well)
    Flowering Almond Tree/seedling
    Purple Smoke Tree/seedling
    Centranthus
    Penstemon
    Verbascum
    'Winterglut' Bergenia
    'Valerie Finnis' Artimesia
    Lavender
    Perennial Snapdragon (Antirrhinum)

Thanks & keep warm! Squirrellypete

• squirrellypete
    18 years ago

Judging by the number of posts I've made I think I must be getting greedier lol. Does anyone have an abundance of "Stella De Oro" or "Happy Returns" or any other reliable reblooming daylily that they would like to trade me for? Heck, I'd even love the old orange or yellow ditch lilies too if anyone has extras. Figured if anyone's interested we could either swap at the trade or I could even come to your place one day and do the digging as long as it isn't clear across the state.

My father-in-law asked me to landscape his new house but didn't exactly provide the funds needed to do it all so I'm going to give the barter system a try lol. I was able to purchase some decent shrubs for foundation plantings but it's a large lot that I think could really benefit from a good daylily population even if they aren't the fancy ones.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Sincerely Squirrellypete

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

I'm currently looking for some starts or plants of the following roses:

Livin' Easy
    Easy Going
    Rosette Delizy
    Perle d'Or
    William Allen Richardson
    Lady Hillingdon (prefer cl.)

Does anyone happen to have these before I order?

GGG

• sharon_ga_zone7
    18 years ago

Greetings,

My SO & I have been to some of GGG's trades, but not to anyone else's! Is it ok if we invite ourselves to this one? I saw mention of carrot cake somewhere & it sounds awfully good...!

I will have these to trade:

lemon balm plants
    cast iron cuttings
    peppermint cuttings
    unknown iris (no, we still don't know what we have)
    3-4 golden raspberry plants
    possibly some Black-eyed Susan plants & a few tomato & pepper seedlings
    1 pb copy of Rodale's Annual Garden

Would like:

VA Bluebells
    Spiderwort, especially Sweet Kate
    Spikemoss
    Solomon's Seal
    Bloodroot
    another woodland plant I can't remember right now
    Toadflax
    Coral Bells, especially Palace Purple
    Verbena or other butterfly plant
    Japanese Kerria, double flowering only, please.

As always, my want liat is longer than my have list!

Thanks for reading,
    Sharon (& John)

• squirrellypete
    18 years ago

Hi Sharon. Glad you will be attending. You mentioned you wanted Verbena -- would good old fashioned Homestead Purple do the trick? The butterflies are crawling (or rather fluttering) all over mine right now.

I can always use more Iris in the landscape if you would like to trade. Just LMK.

Sincerely, Squirrellypete

• garischa
    18 years ago

Sharon -
    I can bring some variegated solomon seal for your golden raspberry. I also have bloodroot and heucheras. Please let me know.
    Thanks.
    Uli

• pins2006
    18 years ago

Squirrellypete, I have some orange ditchlilies and some yellow stellas for your father. I would love some Homestead verbena if you have extras.

• sharon_ga_zone7
    18 years ago

Hi Squirrellypete & Uli,

I would love any verbena, solomon's seal, bloodroot & heucheras!

I'll bring you all some irises & golden raspberries.

Thanks,
    Sharon

PS I was just in the yard & we seem to have a bunch of lillies too. I would have to see if I can find some digital pics to let you know the color. If anyone is interested...

• squirrellypete
    18 years ago

Hi Sharon. Sounds good to me. I'd also be interested in seeing what color lilies you have. Are they daylilies or real lilies?

Pins, I have plenty of Homestead Purple Verbena to share with you as well. And my FIL will LOVE to get the daylilies so thank you.

Everyone enjoy their weekend! Sincerely, Squirrellypete

• sharon_ga_zone7
    18 years ago

Squirrellypete,

Went thru the photos & can't find any of that patch! Sorry. We don't think they are daylilies.... perhaps they will bloom by the Trade?

-Can you get some of your friends out of our attic? I think they've set up an acorn bar.

Bye
    Sharon

• squirrellypete
    18 years ago

No problem Sharon. I'm sure they're pretty whatever they are.

I'm afraid I can't help you with your attic though -- I'm the black sheep (er...squirrel) of the family so the others don't listen to me. They think I'm nuts hehe (Okay, I know that was bad).

• farmerpickle
    18 years ago

I'm looking for few fragrant plants, such as lavender, evening stock, nicotiana, lemon verbena, jasmine etc.

Since my postings are scartered, I'll keep my trade page as the central place for what I have for the swap.

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Wenny, I have a lavender in a gallon pot. It's a "regular" lavender (I don't know what kind, but the kind that grows successfully here). You may have it. I cut it all the way back and it is filling out again. Should look pretty good by the time of the plant trade. You can have it.

GGG

• vroomp
    18 years ago

Well, finally I can say that I will be at the trade for sure. I have been given permission to miss one softball game on Saturday so I will be there. I might even bring something to eat too. Unfortunately Aristolochia seeds (Dutchmans pipe Vine) are taking a while to germinate so they may not be ready in time, but I have more seeds for those who wish to try them. I think only Snoogie and Wildflower wanted them.

Gottahosta, I cannot determine where exactly the Spider Lillies are yet as they are not up yet. As soon as they are up I will happily dig one or two up for you.

Lindagail, I have Sago Seeds for you aplenty. I also have more Hens and Chicks if you need some more. Sure would love those Bluebells you have.

GGG, I still have a Red Banana for you that has wintered in the greenhouse waiting to go home with you since last fall. I will be bringing it along.

SquirrellyPete, I have saved you for last. For you I have Pink Astilbe, some Muscari bulbs, a large antique metal scythe blade and 11 Wrought Iron Compound Fleure-De-Lis Styled inserts that measure approximately 20" by 10". Which just happens to be enough to create a 36" diameter circle around a favorite tree or shrub. If you want all that! All I would like is everything on your list.

Just kidding! That would be too much like work to plant all that. However, I would love to get some hardy Hibiscus if not 'syriacus', some golden Guara and Lilly Bulbs that aren't orange (I have too many of those now).

I plan to bring very little other than seeds for Moon Flower Vine, Purple Hyacinth bean Vine, Blood Flower(Asclepias currasavica)annual here, and a variety of Morning Glory Seeds too. Here's my wimpy list:

2 white Angel Trumpets (from seed in fall)
    1 Salvia guaranitica (Black & Blues) a healthy division
    2 Sedum makinoi varigata (hardy here to 20º)
    4 Sedum makinoi ogon ( killer yellow leaf hardy variety)
    6 Sedum Stonecrop (Rampant, hardy, better than grass)
    1-100 Bloodflowers (grown from seed if I start any more)
    4 EE Possibly a sub-species of Alocasia macrorrhizza (get large to say the least but, seems to be hardy)
    1 pot of Creeping Jenny or 10 maybe
    4 Purple Hyacinth Bean Vines in 4" pots
    4 Bolivian Jews (callisia repens) in 3" pots
    4 hardy Amaryllis var. orange Sovereign (straining 2" pots)
    and require one more year to mature to bloom
    1 EE Colocasia esculenta 'Illustris'

What I want:
    Hostas, ferns, hydrangeas (cuttings that have actual roots) and of course My Favorite, Sedum Autumn Joy

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Vroom:
    I can offer at least one medium sized hosta which would be a division of a hosta Uli gave to me a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it came from Uli and it's Golden Tears. Lime green leaf with golden edge. I bet I have more minis. Some are late coming up.
    I also will have LOTS and I mean lots of really gorgeous mini and other hosta in the fall...I started them from seed. Do you need any plain green hosta white white scented flower...siboldiana?

Can't wait for banana...

ALL: I am looking for Mondo grass. Not the dwarf type, and not loriope (Monkey grass, I have that out the wazoo). I need the longer sort of "weeping" Japanese mondo grass, and I need a LOT of it. I'd be happy to trade some goodies with you for the mondo. I have a slope that needs to be covered with the stuff to stop the weeds.
    I am getting in more goodies than are just listed on my web page but trying to update as fast as the new stuff is propagated or large enough from seed....

GGG

• Marcy72
    Original Author
    18 years ago

pins, i would ADORE some strawberries and mazus. do you know what color the mazus flowers are?

• farmerpickle
    18 years ago

Hi Glynis. I just create another bed around the patio so I'm filling in some fragrant stuff there. Lavender would be great.

Vroom I'll have Sedum Autumn Joy, since you speak up you can have it :-)!

Wenny

• vroomp
    18 years ago

Thanks Wenny! I am sorry I don't seem to have anything on your list. How about some nice metal Pig Lanterns for candles?

• hdmchandler
    18 years ago

Hi everybody. I was waiting until I knew for sure I could make it to the swap before posting. I hope I'm not too late to get in on some action. I will work on revamping my lists and you guys will hear from me again very soon! I had such fun last time. Looking forward to it again and staying for lunch this time!

Heather

• rdhanson
    18 years ago

I'm getting very close to filling in my shady backyard with stuff. Still need about to fill about 20 spots though. Also, I'm bringing a friend who is starting to do the same. So any part-sun to full shade plants would be appreciated.

To give in trade I have dozens of hellebore seedlings growing around their parents, oakleaf hydragea cuttings (generic, Alice, Snow Queen, and Pee Wee), some blue lacecap hydrangea cuttings, purple hyacinth bean seeds, a few moon vine seeds. A couple of big leaf magnolias saplings. From the mildly invasive list: morning glorybower and japanese bush honeysuckle. Sorry, not able to give as much as I'd like to receive.

• garischa
    18 years ago

Here are my lists:

Haves:
    Purple Coneflower (Echinacea)
    Daylilies (generic orange, Autumn Red, Happy Returns, Stellas, ...)
    Mahonias
    American Beautyberry
    Salvia
    Hibiscus
    Hostas (2 year old Plantaginea babies; some other unknowns and common)
    Purple Heucheras (2 year old from seed)
    Creeping Thyme (if it splits well)
    Variegated Solomon Seal
    Hellebores (2 year old, I think)
    Liriope (green)
    Bunny Tails grass (from seed; annual, I think)
    Vinca Major
    Other wintersown seedlings (ask if you are looking for something specific; I might just be growing it)
    Irises (white, purple-white blooms, walking kind; no names, sorry)

Wants:
    Oakleaf Hydrangea
    Endless Summer Hydrangea
    Hostas (I can send a list of which ones I have)
    Jack in the pulpit
    Sedums (purple leafed varieties or Angelina)
    Hens and Chicks
    Ferns (not Christmas)
    Ornamental Grasses
    Blueberry bush
    Black Elephant Ears

I can send photos of pretty much everything on my haves list.

Thanks for looking.
    Uli

• farmerpickle
    18 years ago

Hi Brad, no need to trade for anything for the Sedum Autumn Joy. You have always been very generous.

OK thought I post my list one more time some are avaliable in 1 or 2. In case anyone want anything please yell otherwise can't gurantee. Thanks.

# Many plastic nursery pots, varies size, small for see starter to galon size.
    # Bamboo
    # Bishop's weed varigated
    # Boltonia asteroides 'Snowbank'
    # Black Berry Lily
    # Chive
    # Cupido Calochortus
    # Dayliliy Double Orange
    # Oxalis Prennial Lucky clover
    # Fiveleaf Akebia Vine Chocolate Vine
    # Foxglove mixed
    # Japanese Anemones White
    # Lily of the Valley white
    # Mexican evening primrose pink
    # Orange butterfly flower
    # Red Hot Poker
    # Rose Paul's Himalayan Musk
    # Rose New Dawn
    # Salvia Guaranitica - Prennial deep blue Anise Sage
    # Salvia Koyamae - Prennial Japanese Yellow Sage
    # Sedum Autumn Joy
    # Shasta Daisy Alaska
    # Swamp Sun Flower
    # varigated vinca major
    # Tall Breaded Iris mixed
    # White butterfly ginger

Wenny

• vroomp
    18 years ago

I could always use a few more Liliies of the Valley if you have some to spare.

• garischa
    18 years ago

Farmerpickle -
    I am interested in your Bishop's weed and the Fiveleaf Akebia Vine Chocolate Vine. I posted my list on this thread yesterday.
    Please let me know if you see anything you are interested in.

Thanks.
    Uli (garischa)

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Uli, I have the sedum angelina for you. I'll pop in some of my darker sedum today. It should root by the trade, but still be small. It's Vera Jameson.

GGG

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

I need becki daisies if anyone has them.
    I looked outside, and many of mine are gone!

GGG

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

Hi looks like i will be able tomake the trade after all. I know i promised Mazus to Marcy, and limelight artemesia to Lindabeth. Did I promise anything else to anyone? Let me know. I still have lots of the limelight artemesia and also the gray artemesia ( don't know the name), if anyone wouldlike some. I also have red and yellow cannas if anyone is interested. Also have a ton of mums and maybe some Rose of Sharon and some iris. Just let me know. I am looking for Shasta daisies and hydrangea if anyone has any. Thanks

• squirrellypete
    18 years ago

Hi bmmalone. I have some 'Tardiva' Hydrangea cuttings if you want some. Just LMK. I'd like to try some of your limelight Artemesia if still available.

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

Squirrellypete
    i would some hydrangea, and i still have lots of thelimelight left so i will bring you some.

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

is anyone looking for pots - black plastic ones - i have a huge bag full if anyone wants them

• squirrellypete
    18 years ago

thx bmmalone =)

Squirrellypete

• lindabeth1
    18 years ago

HELP!I have accidently deleted my replies from Garden Web. If I have promised you something for Spring Trade,please remind me of what it was,so I will bring it!!

• vroomp
    18 years ago

GGG I may have another hundred 2" pots for you. Would you like the trays to go along with them also?
    Brad

P.S. I also bumped into your Feline Frenzy/Electric Garden page the other day.... COOL! I recognized that house right away!!! LOL

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Hi Brad:
    Yes to the 2" pots. Thank-you. We use them for succulent propagation at church.
    Yep, that's my web page. Now you can see what we started with :)

GGG

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

anyone have any bloodroot they would like to share?

• squirrellypete
    18 years ago

Have rooted Boxleaf Euonymus cuttings available to add to my trade list. LMK if interested.

Thanks. Squirrellypete

• dredawg5000
    18 years ago

I know I'm a little late, however, if anyone still has Cast Iron plants, Stella De Oro, plain old green Liriope, and anything sun tolerant..please take pity on me. I am new to gardening so i dont have much to trade. But i do have a fairly new hand saw used only once....i think its called a "bow saw" and some nursery pots...LOL ;-)

• patienceplus
    17 years ago

Sorry about the late post - I'm heading into finals week - ick!

Plants for trade:

Variegated wormwood (yellow and green) if you want the latin name, I can find the tag.

Christmas ferns - the native variety
    Lamb's ears - unknown variety, smaller leaves
    Cherokee roses - small (2/3 year) plants
    Native Rudbeckia - very drought resistant
    White dutch irises - unknown variety
    Purple bearded iris - unknown variety
    Yellow daylily - unknown variety, looks like a larger version of stella

Tons and tons of 'ditch' daylilies - these I won't bring unless someone specifically asks for them

Sorry about the lack of variety names - most of these plants came with the house.

Wanted plants:
    pretty much anything that does well in the sun. No daylilies, though.

Thanks! pp

• Kathy Bochonko
    17 years ago

Hi guys does anyone have a fairy rose that is at least about a 1 gallon size? I moved mine and one died. I am also looking for limelight Hydrangea and a Penny Mac. If so email me and I will see what I may have from your "wishlist" A lot of what I have is stuff I can steal a little of if requested, but I probably won't dig up for the genral trade. I am really unorganized this year so I still don't have much of a list put together, I won't be bringing a whole lot, but that is my focus for this week, getting things potted up to trade. I have my trades on my page, but I will walk the yard today and see what I can add and hopefully update it again tonight. Here are the things I would like that you all have offerred let me know what you would like in return if you have any of this left.

Danielle, is it too late to get one of your 'Tardiva Pink' Hydrangea -- rooted cuttings and a varigated wiegelia? Also is the Walker's Low catmint still available? I have honeycomb butterfly bush I could bring you a couple of cuttings if you tell me what you need exactly, I have never tried rooting one and since we are so close to the trade it would probably be pointless, I will cut them fresh that morning for you. I can also bring you some burgandy bearded iris if you think it won't hurt the clump for me to cut off a section right now, they are still blooming so I don't want to dig up the whole thing.

Pins do you still have any of the variuos rooted hydrangea cuttings? I would love a Penny Mac as I mentioned as well as an Annabelle and if Marcy doesn't have a Tardiva still I would take that as well. Beautyberry would also be wonderful.

Glynis do you still have any of the wierd Euphorbia you mentioned? Also interested in some of the Van Sion Daffs and Santa Barbara Daisy, I can bring you some various camelia cuttings and Becky shasta daisy as well as a baby red tinged hens and chicks.

Linda Gail I have some lemon verbena if you still need it and I think you mentioned hostas, I have some unnamed varigated ones. I would love any of the following that you still have available Spanish bluebells, minature iris, Strawberry Shamrock, Ninebark, Jasmine "winter Beauty"

Farmer Pickle is the Blackberry Lily still available?

Barb still have extra Mazus? I would love what you can spare.

RDhanson-- If they are still available I am interested in magnolia saplings and oakleaf Hydrangea cuttings (any really but specifically Pee Wee)

• Kathy Bochonko
    17 years ago

If anyone has ony of these items please let me know if it is not too late to trade

Plants I am looking for:
    Viburnum Blue Muffin
    Serviceberry
    HELIANTHUS x multiflorus CAPENOCH STAR
    Japanese Anemone
    Goatsbeard
    Astillbe
    PHLOX paniculata KATHERINE
    Rudbeckia Maxima
    Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarta)
    Boneset (Eupatorium Perfoliatum)
    Cup Plant (Silphium perfoliatum)
    Coreopsis rosea
    Agapanthus (large variety)
    wild ginger
    Ligularia
    Reeves Spirea aka 'Double Bridalwreath'
    Bottlebrush Buckeye
    Itea
    Cardinal Candy Viburnum
    black Beauty Sambucus
    Southern Gold Sambucus
    The Swan Hydrangea
    Limelight Hydrangea
    Quick Fire Hydrangea
    Snow flake Hydrangea
    Annabelle Hydrangea
    Viburnum Bodnantense
    Pink Muhly Grass
    Huechera-- Rasberry Ice, or stoplight
    Brunnera 'looking glass'
    lungwort (pulmonaria saccharata)
    Cup plant (silphium perfoliatum)
    Any no spray roses but especially--
    -Westerlund
    -Carefree Sunshine
    -Aviateur Bleuriot Rose
    Weeping willow I will take rooted or unrooted cuttings
    Hostas - sieboldi Kabitan, Slick Wille, Great Expectations.
    Puschkinia libanotica
    crocus tommansinianus
    scilla
    Cyclamen
    Glory of the snow
    grape hyacinth
    snowdrops
    any spring ephemerals really
    Melampodium
    Native azaleas
    Spice Bush
    I WANT IT ALL DON'T I?!!!

I promise to post my updated my "have list" by tomorrow at the latest.

• squirrellypete
    17 years ago

Hey Kathy. I still have the 'Tardiva' Hydrangea, variegated Weigelia & 'Walker's Low' Catmint for you. I also have a small Weeping Willow cutting that rooted just last week if you want it. The Hydrangea & Weigelia are small but well-rooted from last year. The Walker's Low catmint "cuttings" are easily 1 gallon size now or bigger. I should have probably listed them as plants rather than rooted cuttings lol. I was outside today and just noticed how big they actually were.

I already have some 'Honeycomb' BB but thanks for offering it. As for the Irises I'd love them. I'm no Iris expert though so I don't know how to advise you about dividing them now. I'm probably more brutal on my Irises & daylilies than some folks and will pretty much divide them year-round if the need arises. I don't recall ever losing one but then they're my plants if something goes wrong. I wouldn't want to damage the rest of your clump if this isn't a good time. If anyone else has experience with this please chime in.

I think you traded me some of this last year too, but I'd also be interested in more 'Chicago Royal' daylily if it's still available. I loved the blooms on the one I received last year and I have an area I'm doing in purples so the more the merrier.

Please LMK if there's anything else you'd like. Thanks!
    Sincerely, Danielle

• mairenn
    17 years ago

kathyga,

i can get you a willow cutting.

all, i don't remember if i listed hydrangea in my Want post, but I do:)

might want to move this back over to the shorter thread. ?

• vroomp
    17 years ago

Kathy, I have one extra Astilbe left if you want. I don't know if it is white or pink though.????????????