Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

o
WANTED: Spring Trade May 16th 2009

Posted by bmmalone 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 18:20

Can we start around 11am?
Brief description of how the trade works:
Hey Everyone:
We're having the Atlanta Area Gardenweb Plant Trade in Sandy Springs (between I75 and 400, about a mile north of 285)this spring.

Everyone registered on GW is invited to attend and of course, bring a family member or friend if you like.

When you post here you will be put on the mailing list for my personal information which I email to you. Please do not share my personal info. with anyone. Please MAKE SURE that your email is unblocked on GW. This means you need to find your member page and change your settings so that an email can be sent OR you need to email me through GW with your email address and please state your GW "name" or handle in your message to me. Thanks! I will email my information only to people who are registered members of GW.

Everyone is invited to bring their extra plants, seeds, rooted cuttings, old garden magazines/books, old tools, etc.

Consider also that many of us are once again under severe restrictions for water but can water food plants, and have plenty of space for drought tolerant things.

We trade two ways. On this thread we will arrange pre-trades . This means that you will offer plants here and plan to exchange them with an individual here. Then you will get that persons plants together, boxed or bagged and labeled separately and place them in the designated location when you get here.

We also have a "Free for All" trade. You bring in all your plants which aren't designated for a specific person and put them with other plants in categories like "Sun Perennials" or "Fruits, veg". This pretty much goes on until everything is done with.

To effectively trade, you will need to label all your plants with as much info as you can. Botanical Name, (if you don't know ahead of time, just ask on the forum!), "common name", color, height, sun or shade. Annual or perennial. You need to know if your plant is: sun, shade, annual, perennial, edible/herb, shrub etc.

After trading we can share Pot luck if any one is interested.

Note: GGG hope you don't mind but I 'borrowed' your thread from last year!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Spring Trade May 16th 2009

• Posted by janen z8 Atlanta (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 8:18

Thanks for offering to host the trade this year Barbara. Count me in. I have never been to a trade before but am looking forward to this one and will start getting my stuff together to bring. Janen

o

Hi Barbara,

I would like to participate in the trade. I live in Sandy Springs so this will be great for me since I don't drive very much. Thanks for hosting

Margarita10

o

Thank you Barbara for hosting another trade. I will compile my list of trades available in the next couple of days. As usual my list of wants is short.
What I have for trade:

I should have some divisions of Named Hostas Lots of Sedum Stonecrop, Jewels of Opar, some Muscari bulbs that won't go away, lots of Mexican Petunias, Northern Sea Oats, Purple Hyacinth Bean Vine, Bloodflower (asclepias curassavica), some hanging baskets of Burro Tail (sedum morganianum), a couple of small pots of Lifesaver Plants(Heurnia zebrina) and a few others to be named later.

What I want:

Sedum Autumn Joy, Lillies, mini Hostas and anything unusual will be fine for me.

If I misspelled anything, sorry I don't have time to look up names right now.

Any Food Requests?

o

Hi, I'm interested in the spring plant trade.

I have to trade:
- hardy garden amaryllis (red)
- a mature pink-flowering hibiscus (it'll get 6'x6')
- variegated liriope
- arum italicum
- misc daylilies, all different colors incl purple, yellow, pink
- crinum bulbs, white and/or pink
- 2 potted hardy windmill palms, 3' tall, 3 gal pots
- trandescantia
- unknown perennial: 5-6' tall, many double yellow daisy-like flowers, full sun plant, maybe a heliopsis?
- white dutch iris
- purple coneflower

I'm interested in:
- dark-leaved canna, such as 'Australia'
- agapanthus
- blue muscari
- orange-toned echinacea
- yellow or orange coreopsis
- hellebores
- rice paper plant, castor plant or other tropical-looking foliage plant that gets fairly large
- red trumpet creeper, other red flowering vining plant
- tall red-flowered daylily (at least 6 divisions of same type)

Thanks!

o

Hi, I'd like to participate in the Spring Trade. I'll begin making a list of things I can bring and will post in the next week or so.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,
Franny

o

Tulips, I would love those palms. I have a bunch of Muscari and I will split some Helebores off for you in exchange. I also could use the white Crinums. Would you care for Coreopsis zagreb?

o

I am planning to attend.

Tulips, if you have any crinums left after vroomp's request, I'd love some. I have some moused-eared coreopsis to offer (a smaller version that is a groundcover).

I also have:

Columbine (the species which is red and yellow)- Aquilegia canadensis
Mouse eared coreopsis - Coreopsis auriculata
Rue anemone - Thalictrum thalictroides
Anise hyssop - Agastache foeniculum
Couple of native azaleas
Mountain mint - Pycnanthemum pilosum (it's a spreader!)
Viburnum nudum
Viburnum acerifolium
First year buckeyes (Aesculus pavia and A. parviflora)
Georgia aster (Symphyotrichum georgianum )
One small Penstemon digitalis

And in the non-native category - divisions of Variegated Solomon's Seal.

o

I would love to attend. Just tell me what to bring for the potluck and I will get the things together for the trade.
Jeanette

o

I've got the following:

Crocosmia (orange)
Yarrow (white)
Daylily "Paper Butterfly"
Iris (a pretty burgundy/yellow bearded Iris I got from farmerpickle)
Iris cristata
Rudbeckia fulgida
Goldenrod "Fireworks"
Agastache "Blue Fortune" (I think)
Hardy Geranium (light pink)
Cutleaf Coneflower (Rudbeckia laciniata)
Saponaria officinalis
Artemisia
Rainbow Leucothoe

maybe:
Pineapple sage

o

I'll plan on attending, as well.

I've definitely got:

Lilac root cuttings (the 'mother' plant was transplanted, has lived in Georgia for 20 years, and has bloomed)
Forsythia
Low-growing sedum with small yellow flowers
Heuchera divisions (some named, some unnamed)
Primrose seedlings (the leaves are purple/red with a green edge)
Catnip
Purple Bee Balm
Chocolate Mint
Muscari

Tulips, is your unknown perennial a Jerusalem artichoke?

o

I am in!
Don't know yet what kind of plants/seeds/tools I will bring - will make a list later.
Thank you Barbara for organizing it. It will be my first trade of this kind - and I am so excited!!!

~Natalie

o

Vroomp, the palms are yours for the low low price of muscari and hellebores, and the zagreb coreopsis would be great. Unfortunately I don't know which crinums are white or pink, I didn't mark them last summer. Are you still interested?

Esh, ditto on the crinums. Let me know, and I would be delighted with some variegated solomon's seal.

Pam, I'm interested in your orange crocosmia, does anything on my list appeal?

How does this work, at some point, should we start emailing each other privately to arrange trades?

o

Tulips, you are welcome to some crocosmia. I have A LOT. It looks amazing in bloom!

I usually do most of my trades on here, and then start up a document on my computer to keep up with who gets what, AND what I'm supposed to get in return. Helps me stay organized.

I'd also like to add Heuchera "Autumn Bride" to my list of what I'm bringing.

Esh, Could I have one of those Aeschelus parvifloras? I was wondering if you may also have some interesting native ferns. I'd like something to put on either side of a rustic looking stairway. Morning sun. I have some Christmas fern I can divide that might work. Ideas? Might have some root competition.

o

Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 9:28

I'm really looking forward to this because it will be a first for me.

These are the things I HAVE:
Iris hexagona - Dixie Iris
Louisiana Iris - wine colored
Pink Japanese Anemone - I think 'September Charm'
Helleborus orientalis
Hardy red Amaryllis
Epimedium x versicolor 'Sulphurium'
Black Arum - Dracunculus vulgaris
Lemon Balm
Golden Oregano
Creeping Golden Thyme
Variegated Solomon's Seal
White Ginger Lily
Unknown Artemisia - grey leaves - don't know its name
Pink Yarrow
Tradescantia - blue
Seeds of Larkspur, Poppy, Foxglove, Cleome, Love-in-a-mist

Some that I WANT:
Rheumania - Chinese Foxglove
Siberian Iris
Sister Theresa Hydrangea - small rooted cutting
Hesperis - Dame's Rocket
Purple Salvia
Perilla
Lupines
Foxgloves
Sweet William
Pinks
Mully Grass - Muhlenbergia capillaris
White Garden Phlox 'David'

o

janen - I would like your epimedium, please. I believe I can get you a pink muhly grass. The ones I have aren't real big, but my mom has some really big ones, that I can probably divide for ya.

o

Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 17:06

Thanks Pam that's great.

o

this is what I have

hellebores ( unknown )
sedum - autumn joy
red and yellow canna lilies
day lilies
blackeyed susan
shasta daisies
cone flower
low growing sedum with yellow flower
dianthus
atemesia - grey and also two tone green (limelight)
yellow iris (tall)
I have started some tomatoes and peppers from seed - not sure how they will do.

Also started some honesty, lupines, forget-me knots from seed but make no promises as to whether or not they will come up.

I will add more later.

vroomp
one word - oysters!!
do you have any asclepias curassavica left for autumn joy

tulips
I have some hellebores for your unknown perennial

Esh - I'd love some solomon seal is there anything you would like that I have?

o

tulip - the color of the crinum doesn't matter to me. I'll make sure you get some solomon's seal. Same for you, bmmalone - I'd be happy for you to save me some coneflower.

pam, yes you can have a Bottlebrush buckeye baby. There are several ferns that can work there. Do you want something tall or shorter? I can give you a piece of Thelypteris kunthii which gets pretty tall, or you can have some New York fern or Netted Chain fern - both of those are shorter but they are good spreaders. None of these are evergreen like the Christmas fern is.

o

Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 7:40

bmmalone - may I have some of the coneflowers and dianthus? Do I have anything that you would want? Thanks. Janen

o

janen yes, I will have coneflowers and dianthus for you. I would love some of the Dracunculus vulgaris .

Esh, coneflowers for you too!

thanks

o

Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 10:41

bmmalone - thank you and D.v. Arum for you. I have a lot, so if anyone else wants some there's enough.

o

Pam: thanks for the offer of crocosmia. Will look great in my tropical themed backyard.

Esh: I'll dig up crinum from several plants, and thanks for the offer of solomon's seal.

Bmmalone: you've got some unknown perennial with your name on it, I appreciate the hellebores.

o

Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 20:32

turkeytaker - may I have some of your catnip and purple bee balm? What do I have that you might want? Thank you. Janen

o

Hi, here's what I have:

Pachysandra
Pink Obedient Plant
Becky Daisies
Unknown double white shasta daisy
White Bearded Iris
Also I just started some Heirloom veggie seedlings. I should have:
-Arkansas Traveler Tomato
-Moneymaker Tomato
-Sioux Tomato
-Cherokee Purple Tomato
-White Currant Cherry Tomato
-Yellow Pear Tomato
-McCaslan Pole Beans

I would love any of the following:

Hardy geraniums
Mexican petunias
Black-eyed Susans
Columbine
Any type of hostas
Any type of daylilies
Or any other sun-loving perennial flowers

Thanks,
Franny

o

Janen, I'll put aside those for you! :) I'd love your White Ginger Lily or Golden Oregano if you have any left.

o

Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 8:23

Thanks turkeytaker - I will put some of each aside for you.

Franny - may I have some of your pink obedient plant and Becky daisies? What do I have that you would want? Thank you. Janen

o

Janen, I will set aside some pink obedient plant and Becky daisies for you. I would love some iris and Pink Japanese Anemone. Thanks! Franny

o

Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 12:00

Thanks Franny. It's a deal.

o

Thanks Janen!

Turkeytaker, I would love some Heuchera or Bee Balm if you have any left. Do I have anything you might want?

o

Hi Franny! I wouldn't mind your white shasta daisy, if you've still got some available. :)

o

Hey Franny, Do you want me to bring you some Rudbeckia fulgida? ;)

o

Hi Turkeytaker! Sure, I have plenty of shasta daisies. I have some that are double and all white and I've got the Becky Daisies that are single and have the yellow center. Would you like some of each?

Pam, I would LOVE some Rudbeckia fulgida. I planted some last year that didn't come back. Is there anything I have that you might like?

o

Franny,
I would love some white bearded iris, please. Can I also have a purple tomato seedling? I can bring you a good sized chunk of Rudbeckia (or two smaller ones.) Sound fair?

o

Hey Pam, that sounds great!

I will bring you a nice big clump of the iris. And the Cherokee Purple is looking good so far. I'm growing the seeds on peat pellets and am going to transfer them to peat pots in a few days.

Thanks,
Franny

o

Bmmalone, may I have some of your blackeyed susan or yellow iris if you have any left? Is there anything I have that you are interested? Thanks, Franny

o

Franny
Yes, I have lots and lots of blackeyed susans and yellow iris left so that is a deal. Do you have any Pachysandra or
Pink Obedient Plant left? if so I would love some.

o
Spring Plant Trade

Thanks Bmmalone! I have plenty of Pink Obedient Plant left and a TON of pachysandra from my old house.

o

TULIPS, Crinums in any color will be fine. I have Helebores , Zagreb Coreopsis and Muscari potted up for you.

BARBARA, I will do Oysters if I may use your oven. Can someone bring a couple Bagettes or French breads to go with the oysters please? I will plan to do 4-6 dozen for the trade. Will that be enough?

For those not familiar with my oysters they will be baked on the half-shell and can become addictive if taken internally.

o

Vroomp - the oven is all yours! I will supply the baguettes.
I also have plates and flatware.

o

Please put me on the list. When the rain stops, I will go out and see what I can dig up.

o

I want to attend and will make up my list in a few days.

o

Esh, may I have some Georgia Aster or Columbine if you have any left? Is there anything I have that you might like?

Thanks, Franny

o

I would love to come this would be my first time there. I can bring:
Phlomis russeliana
crocosmia orange
canna
bee balm
lemon balm
obedient plant
Floss Flower, Ageratum
Lychnis coronaria

Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' 'Aurea' CREEPING JENNY 'GOLDEN MONEYWORT'
I think I will have more by May but this is what I have right now.
Southern living, Better homes and Garden and some other garden magazines

Janen, I have a foxglove and sweet william I will bring for you. I would love a pink anemonea and varigated solomon if you have it. Just let me know.

o
azalea

Esh,
I would love a native azalea if I come up with anything you would like. Thanks, Amy

o

I should be able to make it to the trade this time.

So far it looks like I have:
Some unknown helebores (4-6")
Larkspur
Foxglove - Faerie Queen, peach colored, potted seedlings
Columbine - pink
A few heirloom tomatoes - black cherry, Abe Lincoln, and maybe some
others
Daylilies - kwanza and possibly unknown others
Dark purple irises
Cuttings from antique roses - including Marie Van Houtte, Beaute
Inconstante, Mrs. B R Cant, etc.
Native trees such as red cedar, dogwood, sugar maple - there are
thousands of small ones in our woods and could still be dug up and
potted safely.
A couple of potted belles of Irelend seedlings
Tall sedum -may be autumn joy but some is lighter pink color
Should have some more things by the swap.

I would like:
Edible plants such as blueberries, figs, etc.
Lilies
Heirloom flowers
Native azaleas
Hydrangeas
Non-invasive herbs
Tempt me - I may want it

o

franny, yes I have columbine and Georgia aster. Daisies or tomatoes would be a good trade.

amy, I can certainly trade you an azalea for some bee balm.

o

Amy,
Could I have some phlomis, please? My list is up the page a bit. I hope i have something of interest.

Esh, I owe you something in return for the buckeye. I just dug up a big clump of purple liatris. (Oh, and I put Christmas fern along the stairs, with hosta, heuchera, and tiarella. Looks nice!)

o

Esh, I've got white double shasta daisies and Becky daisies. Is there one you'd prefer or I'd be happy to bring you some of each. I'm not sure how all the different tomatoes will do, none of the Moneymaker have germinated. But I will bring what looks good and you can choose whatever ones you like. Franny

o

Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 12:17

Amy - Thank you. I will save some pink anemones and variegated Solomon seal for you. Is there anything else that you would like because I would love to have some of your Phlomis also. Thanks. Janen

o

Franny - whichever daisies you would like to give away are fine with me. I don't know the difference!

Pam, yes, the liatris would be super. It will be good to see you again.

o

Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 17:19

vroomp - If you still have some Mexican petunias I would love to have some. Do I have anything that you would be interested in? Here's my list of what I have since it is so far up the post...

Iris hexagona - Dixie Iris
Louisiana Iris - wine colored
Pink Japanese Anemone
Helleborus orientalis
Hardy red Amaryllis
Epimedium x versicolor 'Sulphurium'
Black Arum - Dracunculus vulgaris
Lemon Balm
Golden Oregano
Creeping Golden Thyme
Variegated Solomon's Seal
White Ginger Lily
Unknown Artemisia - grey leaves - don't know its name
Pink Yarrow
Tradescantia - blue
Seeds of Larkspur, Poppy, Foxglove, Cleome, Love-in-a-mist

Thanks, Janen

o

amybabyboy3, I'd love some of your Golden Moneywort creeping jenny!

To add to my current list:

Queen Anne's Lace
Young hollies (of the prickly variety)

o

Hello Barbara,
I would like to be apart of the Spring Trade also. I will get some of my plants,seedlings etc. fixed up. Thanks,Angela

Angolita

o

Esh, Thank you!

Pam, Can we trade the phlomis for rainbow leucothoe?

Janen, Could I have a black arum for phlomis?

Turkeytaker, I will bring you the golden moneywort, I would love a lilac cutting if you have enough.

Botanicat, Are your rose cuttings rooted?

I should have more to list soon I just need to write when Im outside looking around! Amy

o

Amybabyboy3 - No, I haven't rooted any this year. Just cuttings at this point. I can start some now if you know what you are interested in. Might not be rooted by the swap, tho.

o

Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 6:46

Amy - yes, I will put a black arum aside for you. Thank you.

o

Janen, Thank you so much!

Botanicat, I would love a cutting of each if you would start it for me! I have a brown thumb when it comes to rooting roses. What are you looking for that I can give you?

I have more to list and I will work on that soon. Amy

o
More plants

small plant maybe more than one Bloody Dock, Red-veined Dock, Bloodwort Rumex sanguineus

Common Name: 'Texas Star Hibiscus'
Botanical Name: Hibiscus coccineus

Dipsacus sativus (L.) Honck.
Indian teasel

Dark purple Columbine (im not sure which one this is)
Aquilegia atrata

Artemisia this is small, silver but not sure of exact name but it looks like "silver king?"

Belladonna Lily, Naked Lady these I just got last year and have not seen them bloom yet but they have multiplied.

mint

wisteria (these were sent to me by my Aunt and I don't know what color they are maybe purple?

Autumn Joy Sedum

Showy Stonecrop 'Purple Emperor' (Sedum) My tag name washed off but this one Im pretty sure is correct.

I probably will have more but this is what I found tonight. Thanks, Amy

o

Amy,
Can I change my mind? And ask for the Texas Hibiscus instead of the phlomis? I think that would do better in my yard. I just dug up those rainbow leucothoes, let me make sure that I didn't kill them. (I'm out of town until Saturday.) :)

o

Pam,
If you want I will give you both. The hibiscus are just starting to pop up this year but I think they will bloom this year. I wintersowed them last year. Take care, Amy

o

Amy - How about the purple emperor stonecrop? Or a belladonna lily bulb. I'll do several cutting of several roses and hope we get some to root. Do you have preference about color; climbing or not; tea, China, etc?

o

Botanicat,
Thank you I will have them both ready for you and if I come up with anything else that you want just let me know. I love all roses especially the old fashioned ones and it can climb or not- Love any of them. Thanks again, Amy

o

I am really looking forward to this. Not sure what I will have yet.

o

Barbara,
Thanks for hosting. I plan to attend and will post what I have later. Will be happy to bring something as well.

Vroomp -- love the oysters... thanks for bringing them.

o

Barbara,
Would you like me to bring anything special or should I just decide on a dish and bring it? When you have time could I also get the directions to the swap? Thank you so much! Amy

o

Barbara, I am hoping to make the trade. Please email me the details. Thanks for hosting.

o

I would like to come for the trade. This is my first time. I have vegitable seeds okra, asparagus beens and green egg plant.

Thanks

o

I think my Turtlehead bit the dust. Anybody have one they can divide and give me a chunk? Thank you!

o

I have Mexican Petunias for Janen, and Helebores, Muscari and Coreopsis for Tulips or bust. Oysters and Asclepias Currasavica for Lucy and Barbara, and I see no other requests. This may limit the amout of trade items I bring for the free for all as I am quite lazy and need to prepare the oysters early in the morning so they are fresh.
I will still be bringing more mexican Petunias, since they are everywhere, and some more Blood Flower(Asclepias Currasavica) seedlings. I have just started a bunch of Swamp Hybiscus seeds if anyone wants some seedlings. They should bloom this year if placed in a sunny spot.

o

Vroomp,
Do I have anything that you would be interested in?
I would like to trade for your:
, Jewels of Opar, Muscari bulbs Mexican Petunias, Northern Sea Oats, ,Burro Tail (sedum morganianum), a Lifesaver Plants(Heurnia zebrina)
Just let me know. Thank you, Amy

o

Vroomp, may I please have some Mexican Petunias? Let me know if I have anything you'd like. Thanks, Franny

o
Plant Swap

Esh, the Becky Daisies have white petals with a yellow center. The other shasta daisies I have were mismarked so I don't know what type they are but they are solid white and fuller. I'll bring some of each and you can decide. Thanks, Franny :-)

o

I'd like to come to the trade for part of the time at least. It's my grandmother's birthday so I may have to leave early to take her to lunch. :)

Vroomp, I'd love several Asclepias seedlings, if possible. I have a pot of what I think is Autumn Joy Sedum if you'd like that in trade.

FrannyFlowers, How are the tomatoes doing? Are you interested in Stella de Oro daylilies in trade?

I'll try to make a trade list next week.

Thanks!
Danita

o

Danita, I think I received a maple tree from you a couple of years ago. Can I get 2-3 more this year? Please look at my list and see if you'd like anything in return.

all - anyone has a magnolia to trade? and rosemary.

janen - can i get pink yarrow from you?

turkeytaker - can i get purple bee balm?

amybabyboy3 - can i get aguilar?

frannyflowers - I'd love some tomatoes. Please let me know what u have avail to trade.

all- please look at my list to see what you'd like to trade:

Plant List for Trade
Ajuga
Aster - Tall Purple
Autumn Joy Sedum
Bee Balm (red)
Black Eyed Susan
Cannas - avail in yellow & red - also red leaves
Creeping Charlie --- small yellow leaves - ground covers - pretty
Day Lillies (orange single & double petals)
English Ivy
Forsythia
Four O'clock ( fuschia)
Ginger Lillies (White)
Golden Rod
Irises (purple bearded large, LA yellow and Siberian purple )
Japanese Climbing Fern - Lygodium japonicum -Fern-leave climber"
Lamb's Ear
Mondo Grass ( miniature, varigated, solid green)
Nighttime Blooming Cecerus - http://hg.women.com/homeandgarden/plants/hylounda.htm
Periwinkle (Vinca)
Sedum ( Autum Joy, and various low ground cover)
Trumpet Vine (orange)
Violets (purple)
White Spirea
Yarrow (white)

Bell Boy Pepper

Cuttings
--------
Hydrangeas (Blue Nikki, PeeGee, AnnaBelle (? white))
Butterfly bush (yellow)
Corkscrew Willow
Fig Cuttings
Gardenia
Japanese Camillia
Japanese Magnolia
Japanese Maple
Japanese Wisteria
Muscadine Vine
Rhondodendron hot pink
Tomorrow Camillia (red)
Weigelas (Pink, deep red)

I am looking for Oakleaf Hyndrangea, herbs (lemongrass, mint, basil) and veggies/Fruit.

o

I also have:

Trandescantia (purple/blueish))
Ferns (Ostrich Fern)
Hostas: Albo-Marginata, , Light White/Green crinkle
Rosa Ragusa (fuschia)

o

vnginger,
I have candy mint also along with the Dark purple Columbine. Do I have anything else that you want? You have a lot that I like! Thanks, Amy

o

Amy,

They both sound good.
If you have some of these left, i'd love some:
-- Belladonna Lily
-- Naked Lady

Thanks for trading.

o

I also have these plants:

Passion Vines (purple) - pics avail- keeping arrowing to see the flowers & fruit. (pic 14-19)
Vietnamese Purple Amaranth - pics also avail (picture 42 &43)
Love in the Mist (white or blue - they r mixed)

Clemantis cuttings ( see pics 64, 65, 66, 74)
Jan Magnolia Tree Cuttings

I have Brug & Datura (single/double/triple) that I will root. Looking for other brugs to trade. (see link for pictures)

Here is a link that might be useful: vnginger's Passion Vine/Amaranth/Brugs/Datura

o

Darn! I am so sorry I have to miss the spring trade, and its so close and I'm so ready for it for once. I have another event I can not get out of. You all have some great fun!

o

Danita, the tomatoes were doing pretty well but I had them out last night and they got hit along with everything else by the pounding hail we had. I've got a surprising amount of damage, I lost some of my large tomato plants and my roses look terrible. Lots of clean up today. I'll check in later when I know better what survived.

Franny

o

Vnginger,
I will have those three potted up for you. I would love some of your Night blooming cactus, pee gee and annabelle hydrangea if you have enough. Thank you, Amy

o

Looking forward to May 16th swap. I need to get busy!
Will exact directions be provided later?
Thanks for coordinating and notifying us.

Kathy

o

Unfortunately I have nothing to trade and am somewhat of a newbie at Atlanta planting. However I live in SS and want to know if I can come and purchase some wonderful plants. If not, can someone share w/ me where a good place is (other than H Depot, Pikes)? Thank you. I look forward to your resonse. Jan

o

Barbara,
I have something I can bring for a doorprize. :)

o

janisoga, you still have time, if you're interested to start some stuff from seed or to root some cuttings. If not, I'm sure you're more than welcome to show up and join the fun. :)

I may have some rooted hazelnut cuttings, if anyone is interested. I just lopped off a bunch of suckers and got them rolling, but I don't know how many will make it.

o

Here's a summary of my trades to:
Vroomp: 2 potted windmill palms and crinums
Esh: Crinums
Bmmalone: unknown perennial (tall, yellow blooms)
Vnginger: arum italicum and crinums

I'll try to bring some fresh-made herb rolls to the trade. Do we have details yet? Time, address? Thanks.

o

Tulips,
I'm bringing you some crocosmia, and I don't think I ever made a request (sorry about that!) Could I have some daylilies? Purple sounds neat. Thanks.

o

janen - I have you bringing me epimedium, but I didn't see where you asked for anything to trade.

vroomp - do you have any more mexican petunias?

Here are my other pre-trades:
esh - buckeye (I'm bringing you liatris)
franny - iris/tomato (for Rudbeckia)
amy - rainbow leucothoe, which is looking great (for swamp hibiscus)
Thanks,
Pam

o

I'm SO glad that I haven't missed this spring's plant swap. I went to the Tucker Historical Society's swap, late. I gave away much more than I could find!

I will be able to bring:

George Tabor Azaleas (still getting good volunteers)
Hellebores seedlings (only way to transplant)

I would like:

Most anything that grows in forest/shade. I have excellent dirt but no sun! I especially like natives! But I'm not really picky.

One day I will host the plant swap, and y'all can see what your trades have created! After I get the weeds under control! LOL.

It's been a while since I came to a plant swap. I guess the drought is to blame. . .

o

Fri, May 1, 09 at 18:38

Hi Pam - You said you might possibly be able to get some pink muly grass from your mother. Do you think that is still possible? Thanks very much - and thanks to your mother. Janen

o

I have over a hundred 4" pots and some larger (gallon size I think) if any one wants them.

o

Hi Barbara and everybody!

I hope I'm not to late to join in. Please add me to your mailing list for info/directions, etc...My mother and I would love to attend another Spring trade. I'll get my have/want list together tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Danielle

o

I will bring as many Mexican Petunias as I can for these last few requests. Glad to hear you are coming Danielle.

I have 5 or 6 large peices of Bamboo(not living) that are about 8 feet long and over 3 inches in diameter that I will donate for a door prize. They could make a fine little arbor or Oriental fountain.

o

Alrighty, here's what I have this go-round. Didn't do any propagating last year so my have list is a bit slimmer. I'll remedy that by next year!

HAVES:
Aluminum Blinds -- I know some folks like to cut these up for labels? Have at least 2 large blinds.
Dwarf Burning Bush -- (3) 1 year old rooted cuttings
Peegee Hydrangeas, white w/hint of pink -- several 3 gallon size
Forsythia -- 1 year old rooted cuttings
Foothill lavender creeping phlox -- divisions
White creeping phlox -- divisions (very limited)
Emerald Cushion blue creeping phlox -- divisions (very limited)
Georgia Blue Veronica -- divisions (very limited)
Tickled Pink (I think) upright veronica -- 1 division
Limelight Artemesia -- plenty
Ryan's Pink Chrysanthemum -- rooted cuttings/divisions
Medium-purple Hardy Geranium -- divisions (limited)
Spanish Lavender -- rooted cuttings
Honeycomb Butterfly Bush -- small 1-year old rooted cuttings
Rosemary -- 1-year old rooted cuttings
Balloon Flower -- rooted cuttings mixed colors (could be purple, pink or white)
'New Dawn' rose (dark pinkish red) -- rooted cuttings (2)
'Madame Plantier' rose (white) -- rooted cutting (have only 1)
'Red Fox' (I think) Veronica -- rooted cuttings (3)
Blue False Indigo -- rooted cutting (have only 1)
'Navajo Bright Red Salvia' -- small rooted cuttings (5)
Strawberry Plant volunteers (Quinalt I think) -- 3
Daylily named varieties:
'Stella De Oro' yellow repeat bloomer
'Black Eyed Stella' yellow w/red eye
'Leebea Orange Crush' orange
'Chorus Line' pink w/halo
'Sammy Russell' red w/yellow throat
'Custard Candy' (limited) pale yellow w/red eye
'Pandora's Box' cream w/purple eye
'President Betty Williams' dark red w/yellow throat
'Pardon Me' red
'Winsome Lady' pink
'Siloam June Bug' yellow w'red eye
'Little Cadet' yellow w/red eye
'Joan Senior' cream/ivory
'Louise Mannelis' small bright peach-pink
Unknown reddish orange w/large bloom (limited)
**More plants may be added later

WANTS
Illustris and/or Black Magic Elephant Ear
Hosta (looking mainly for large broad-leafed hosta, but anything but albo-marginata, have plenty of that variety.
Azaleas (any color)
Rhododendron (any color)
Brug Cuttings or plants (any color)
Bearded or tall Iris (Any, but especially yellows, oranges, pinks or dark purples)
Water Hyacinths
Orange Asiatic Lilies (Not looking for the tall tiger lily types, but the stockier orange lilies commonly sold in pots at Lowes/Walmart/etc...)
White Lady Banks Rose (plant or cutting)
Daylilies (any named varieties I don't currently have. Please e-mail me for complete list. Especially looking for 'Music Box', 'Marjorie Kinnebrew', 'Pumpkin Kid', 'Cranberry Chalice', 'Hot Embers', 'Double Cranberry Ruffles', and 'Mona Twirler'.)
Hydrangeas (plants or cuttings, any color but white)
Hardy Geranium (in dark blue-purple, white or pink)
Heuchera (all colors)
Heirloom Tomatoes and other veggies (seeds or plants)
Beautyberry (plant or cutting)
Rose of Sharon (plants or cuttings)
Knockout Roses (plants or cuttings)
Any bright yellow shrub-type rose (not looking for climbers)
Heck, any shrub-type roses for that matter
Peonies (any colors, but light pink is preferable)
Astilbe (any color)
Volunteers of Cherry Laurel, Tea Olive, Small Buford Holly and/or Canadian Hemlock. Trying to create a nice natural looking privacy border.

Thanks for lookin!
Danielle

o

vroomp
don't suppose you have another Mexican Petunia do you?

o

I just had a chance to look over all ya'lls lists. Here's some things I was interested in if they're still available:

Vroomp -- I'd love some named hosta. If there's anything I can trade you from my list please let me know.

Esh -- you don't happen to have yellow or orange native azaleas do you? If so I'd love to trade if you spot anything on my list you'd like.

Pam -- from your list I was interested in 'Paper Butterfly' Daylily, pink hardy geranium and/or 'Autumn Bride' Heuchera.

Turkeytaker -- I'm interested in your heuchera named or unnamed varieties as well. I LOVE heuchera!

Janen -- I *think* I have some rooted white 'David' Phlox cuttings for you if you want them. That's what my label says anyway.

Barbara -- I was interested in your tall yellow Iris

Frannyflowers -- I'd love some heirloom tomatoes...not particular on the variety but prefer a non-cherry type. I've got purple hardy geranium and/or daylilies if you'd like to trade.

Botanicat -- I was interested in your dark purple Iris, antique rose cuttings and/or heirloom tomatoes.

vnginger -- I'd love some brug cuttings if you have extras. Any color/variety is fine.

Please take a look at my have/want list when you get a chance to see if anything strikes your fancy. I don't have anything exotic or terribly expensive but if you're lookin' for something in particular that's not on there just ask...I may have it.

Thanks,
Danielle

o

Squirrellypete -- I'll bring several irises for you, including the purple ones and the rose cuttings. And I'll check and see which tomatoes I have left. I am interested in your honeycomb butterfly bush or pee gee hydrangea and the "Pandoras Box" day lily or a pink one.

o

Good morning everyone
I have emailed directions to everyone, apart from angelgirl-grow and koroper who do not have email addresses on their home pages. If you haven't received an email, let me know.
I am so looking forward to the trade - it will be good to see old faces and new ones. Hope the weather co-operates!

o

Pam 3: I'd be happy to bring daylilies for you. I have many, but not sure what type. Some light purples, pastel pinks. I inherited them from the previous owner. Would this do? I can simply pot up 6 different plants?

o

Sun, May 3, 09 at 10:39

squirrellypete - I would love to have the David phlox Thank you. What do I have that would interest you? I also have some tall yellow iris pseudacorus that I forgot to put on my list. Thanks. Janen

o

Sounds great, Tulips. Thanks!

Squirrellypete -
I can bring the daylilies and geranium, but I had no luck with the heuchera. I can also bring you what I believe is a beautyberry. I don't think it's the native.

In trade, I would like some spanish lavender, and Pardon Me daylily (if you have any left), and your blue false indigo.

(I may have some hosta and peony "Sarah Bernhardt" for you, if you like.)

o

Danielle, I have 4 varieties potted up and will be dividing the others this week. Do you have any particular color preferences?

I'd love to get some of your hardy geranium and rosemary cuttings.

o

Danielle,
Do I have anything that you would like?. I would love Madame Plantier' rose, and red and pink veronica if I have something that you like. Thank you, Amy

o

Botanicat -- Irises, rose cuttings and tomato plants if there are any left would be great. I'll bring you some of everything you said you'd like.

Janen -- I have at least 2 of those rooted 'David' Phlox for you. I could always use some more red hardy amaryllis bulbs.

Pam -- the hardy geranium and paper butterfly daylilies sound great. Hosta and Sarah Bernhardt peonies would be awesome too if they're not much trouble. No worries about your Heuchera. The false indigo is yours and I'll bring you several rooted spanish lavender and pardon me daylilies.

Turkeytaker -- I like all varieties of heuchera. I do have plenty of 'Palace Purple' but other than that I'd like any kind or color. Greens, purples, bronzes...they're all lovely. I've got you down for some purple hardy geranium and rosemary.

Amy -- I've got you down for the Madame Plantier rose rooted cutting, and two types of Veronica. Just to warn you though the name 'Red Fox' Veronica is deceiving. It's actually dark pink. But it and the lighter colored 'Tickled Pink' are both yours if you want them. In trade I'd love to try some of your purple Colombine and/or a foxglove if you have any extra.

Thanks everyone...feel free to contact me through GW with any questions. Danielle

o

DANIELLE,
THANK YOU SO MUCH, THEY SOUND BEAUTIFUL. I WILL HAVE YOUR PLANTS READY FOR YOU. TAKE CARE, AMY

o

Not sure if I have requested all of this, but this is what I would like - if it is still available.

Vroomp - mexican petunia and/or mexican sunflower
Would you like some Autumn Joy - I have plenty?

Trulips - unknown perennial
for some hellebores

Esh - do you still have a native azalea?
I will have coneflowers for you

Janen - DV arum
I have coneflowers and dianthus for you

Franny - do you have any pink obedient plants left?
I have black eyed susans and day lilies for you.

Botanicat - may I have a foxglove?
Is there anything you would like from my list?

Amybaby - may I have some wisteria?
Is there anything you would like from my list?

Squirrellypete - do you have any butterfly bushes left?
I have tons of yellow iris for you.

For trade I also have:

elephant ears
white and yellow yarrow
a couple of ferns (japanese painted)
beans
peas
johnny jump ups
low growing grey artemesia

o

Hi Barbara,

thanks for sending me the trade info. Yes, I'll bring you some rooted butterfly bushes. Yellow Iris would be great. Could I also have a Japanese painted fern?

Danielle

o

Barbara,
The wisteria is yours and I would love a painted fern if you have an extra. Thank you, Amy

o

I do have more native azaleas, but I don't know the colors. It is possible that they are some colored form rather than white/pink (although the white/pink ones are great because they are fragrant).

Barbara - trading for coneflowers would be good.
Danielle - if you want to trade for these unknown azaleas, then Salvia would be good in return.

o

Barbara - I'll bring you some foxgloves. I'd like some dianthus if you have some left or if not a couple of yellow irises.

Esh - Do you have any native azaleas left. I don't care what color. Anything I have of interest?

Additions to my list:
- gladiolas - mostly peach colored but some may be others
- purple basil (I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
- Texas tarragon- Tagetes lucida (Mexican mint marigold) - 4 divisions

o

Esh,
Could I get one of those native azaleas (for my mom!)? Is there anything else I can bring you?

o

squirrellypete - thanks for the butterfly bush. The tall yellow iris and japanese painted fern are yous.
amybabyboy- thanks for the wisteria, I have a japanese painted fern for you too.
Esh - I don't mind what color the azalea is. Coneflowers for you.
botanicat - thanks for the foxgloves. Dianthus and yellow iris are yours.

o

Barbara -- thank you!

Esh -- sounds good to me. I'll get some bright red salvia up for you for a mystery azalea.

Danielle

o

I am planning to attend the trade. I will probably have

white ginger lily
ginger
pink obedient plant
ruellia
4 O'clocks (pink and white)
chocolate mint
very small fennel
midnight blue salvia
white plox - David
blackberries (tame - not wild) - about the size of a dollar coin or bigger

Am looking for
nicotina
moonvine
scabiosa
basil
catnip

o

Pam and botanicat, I can do native azaleas for you two as well (had to check how many I had back there).

botanicat, I'll be happy to take some Tagetes lucida.

o

Tulips or bust------ hellebores, you are getting all my muscari bulbs (if you wish to share some with Amy, there are probably over 50 bulb-lets in the pot with the plants) and some Coreopsis Zagreb

Barbara- Asclepias currasavica seedlings, Mexican petunias
Janen----Mexican petunias
Amybabyboy3---Jewels of Opar, Mexican Petunias, Northern Sea Oats, Burro tail,Lifesaver plant and sorry but, there are no more Muscari
FrannyflowersMexican Petunias
Danita---Asclepias currasavica seedlings
Pam---Mexican Petunias
Danielle--- I have one small Sum and Substance is that ok?

For those of you that have Tomatoes, I could use a few. I of course also need more Sedum Autumn Joy as usual. I will also accept any interesting flowering plants for shade.

I have potted up 1- gallon container of Mexican petunias for each request. If you wish more than that, let me know soon so, I can pot up more before next week.

Amy, the Burro Tail is a newly started hanging basket which will take a few more weeks to root well enough to transfer if you don't like the pot.

Huernia Zebrinas (Lifesaver plants) are in 2 inch pots and well rooted.

Asclepias are three week old seedlings only but, they grow very fast.

Jewels of Opar are small volunteers but, will bloom and grow well over the season. They spread from seeds quite a bit even coming up between pavers.

Sea Oats will be in 2 or 4 inch pots and I have lots of seeds if you want a field.

o

Vroomp,
Thank you I am fine without the muscari. I appreciate all the others.

Whoopie,
I can give you scabiosa, basil and a purple pink colored nicotiana if you would like. I would love some blackberries. Thank you, Amy

o

Vroomp,
What can I bring you? I just wrote down on the list and I didn't see your requests.

If anyone else wants sweet basil let me know. I wintersowed and they are small but growing quick. I also have money plant seedlings coming right along and little disco belle hibiscus seedlings. I also have a pot of granex hybrid onion seedlings that need to be separated and planted in the ground, probably at least 50 or so plants. I already planted all I have room for. Just let me know. Amy

o

Vnginger -- I can probably dig you some oakleaf hydrangea if you still want one or more, we have them all over the property. I was wondering if I could also get some of your dark red Weigelia cuttings, rooted or unrooted is fine and some English Ivy.

Vroomp, a sum and substance hosta would be great, my mom will appreciate it for her new yard. Thank you. Is there anything I can bring you in return? I don't really have much in the way of shade plants to offer yet, my garden is almost all sun. I can probably find you some more oakleaf hydrangea as well if that interests you at all.

Pam -- I just noticed you also offered me a Beautyberry. Yes, I'd absolutely love one.

And I want to make a correction to my list. What I thought was 'New Dawn' roses aren't. I never even bothered to look up that New Dawn should be pink until now. Instead I have a lovely unknown wine-red climber or rambler. Still pretty if anyone wants those rooted cuttings.

Thanks, Danielle

o

mybabyboy - would love to trade. I will get your blackberries ready today and make sure they are the first in the van. Thanks!

o

Lemme know if I missed anyone. Here's my list so far:

Janen - catnip and purple beebalm

Frannyflowers - heuchera and beebalm

vnginger - beebalm, chocolate mint, lilac, primrose, lemongrass (if it's ready)

squirrelypete - heuchera

o

Turkeytaker,
We are also trading: Golden moneywort for lilac cutting! Thanks, Amy

o

Gotcha, Amy! I forgot to add you to my master list, but you're on it now. :)

o

Danielle, the Oak Leaf would be nice, thanks.
Amy, I always accept Sedum Autumn Joy.

o

Vroomp,
You got it! Let me know if you want anything else! Amy

o

I also have lots of this wildflower:

Pink primrose is scientifically called Oenothera speciosa (speciosa stands for "showy if any one wants any.

o

How do we get specific directions?
Thanks,

Kathy Roper
koroper@bellsouth.net

o

I dug up to small nandina about 12-18 in tall from my parents house and some unknown iris if anyone is looking for these let me know. Thanks, Amy

o

Looking forward to Saturday....below is my very tardy list. It looks like most trades have been arranged so just let me know if you see anything you want.

Barbara, I'm planning to bring brownies and a fairly large Aloe plant that I've been babysitting for you from an earlier trade.

Here's my list so let me know if anyone wants something specific.

Have
Hellebores - divided
Hostas (unknown)- they have a bluish color
Orange Crocomesia
Ginger (I think red)- probably have 3-4
Alstromeria
Sedums (2-3 varieties)
Penstemon digitalis 'Husker Red (small divisions)
English Ivy
Small Nandina

Want
Ferns
Hibiscus
Becky or Shasta Daisy
Lilac cuttings (Danielle, if you have any left and want something I have please let me know. I do have several sedums)
Elephant ears - especially black
Dogwood tree
Gladiolas -
Hardy Geraniums - any color

Vroomp - I have an Autumn Joy sedum for you. Do you have any Mexican Petunias or Swamp Hibiscus left?

o

Lucy,
I can bring you a red texas star hibiscus and a small black elephant ear. I would love a small husker red and Alstromeria if you would like to trade. Amy

o

• Posted by mk87 7b/8a (My Page) on
    Sun, May 10, 09 at 19:28

Hubby and I plan to celebrate our birthdays in Atlanta this weekend, weather dependent. (ie: We won't drive up there if there's severe weather, but a little rain won't keep us away.) To that end, I'd love to participate in the trade. I THINK esh has some Nana coreopsis that he might be kind enough to share, but if they've already been spoken for, I understand, because I'm so late getting in the game. I, unfortunately, don't have much to trade. I think I will have a Gold Lace juniper (about 3-gallon size).

o

Yes, mk, I'll bring those Coreopsis 'Nana' for you. I'm afraid you'll have missed the blooms, all the potted ones have bloomed in the last week or so. But that just means they are good ones!

o

I apologize if this isn't actually plant related, but I thought this was the best place to post for anyone I'll be seeing this Saturday at the swap.

This past Thursday night I went to bed perfectly fine like normal and I woke up Friday morning with the right side of my face paralyzed. I went to the hospital immediately thinking I had some kind of mini-stroke and they diagnosed me with a condition called Bell's palsy, and the paralysis is due to a compressed nerve that is the main supply nerve to all the little nerves in my face on that side that control my facial muscles. The good news is that most cases are temporary and the majority of people with it fully recover on their own but it takes time. It may be a few weeks before it starts to improve, and in some extreme cases it can take months or never fully improve. But I've been told I have a comparatively mild case so I am optimistic I'll be okay.

Most friends I run into are understandably curious and want to know what happened. I thought posting some info here might save a little time explaining the whole story on Saturday and I also didn't want to startle anyone who knows me or may remember me. My altered facial appearance and difficulty speaking are a little surprising at first to some folks. Doctor's don't fully understand the causes of the nerve inflammation in these cases but some studies point to possibly a viral cause (don't worry, it's not the contagious kind). There's apparently some evidence that suggests the common cold-sore virus that many people carry with them most of their lives may be what attacks this nerve in some people and causes the inflammation so they put me on an anti-viral as well as a steroid (prednisone) to get the inflammation down.

I did actually have a couple of symptoms for a few days prior to the facial paralysis setting in but I didn't realize they were serious or related to each other. One was a pinpoint occassional pain at the back of my skull on the right side (which is apparently the location inflammed nerve itself) and the other was a diminished or altered sense of taste. The entire problem is due to exactly where along this nerve it became inflammed. It apparently has to pass through a very small, narrow bone canal in the back of your skull before it branches off into all the little nerves of your face. If it becomes inflammed at the point it passes through this canal, the bone around it has no give so the nerve becomes compressed and if it stays that way long enough it starts to interrupt function of all of the muscles that nerve ultimately controls. I can only speak, eat and drink out of the left side of my mouth. My right eye is stuck in the open position and I cannot voluntarily close the eyelid. As a result whenever I blink it looks more like I'm winking. So if I wink at you this Saturday try not to get the wrong idea lol. Until the condition improves I have to keep eye drops in it and manually close my eyelid periodically to keep it moist. I also wear a protective patch if I'm working out in the yard to protect it from the sun, debris, etc...

Anyway, that's the long and short of it. I wouldn't miss a plant trade though if I can avoid it so we're still coming! Aside from the occasional nerve pain at the back of my head and the eye and mouth frustrations I actually feel fine. It's just disconcerting to suddenly not be able to control muscles that I normally take for granted.

Thanks for your understanding. My mom and I are really looking forward to this Saturday and we will see you all there!

Sincerely, Danielle

o

Lucyatlanta - I'd love some of your hostas. I have some gladiolas I can bring. And I can probably get you a dogwood too.

o

Hey Danielle,
I'm so sorry this is happening to you! My mom had Bell's palsy when she was in her 20's or 30's. I think her case only lasted a few weeks. Hopefully, you'll be recovering sooner than later.
Hugs,
Pam

o

I am sorry to hear about your condition Danielle. Did the doctors tell you about L-Lysine? This has been the miracle treatment in my family for cold sores for years. A daily does of 500 Mg. keeps one from ever having a cold sore and at $3.50 per 100 tablets thery are quite affordable. I don't know whether they help after one has developed Bell's or not but, they sure work for keeping the virus at bay. L-Lysine is also said to be a good treatment for Osteoperosis and Migrain Headaches and is safe for babies as well since, it is a natural occuring amino acid. Here's a bit of info:

Lysine
Overview:
Lysine, or L-lysine, is an essential amino acid, which means that it is necessary for human health but cannot be made by the body. For this reason, lysine must be obtained from food. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Lysine is important for proper growth, and it plays an essential role in the production of carnitine, a nutrient responsible for converting fatty acids into energy and helping to lower cholesterol. Lysine appears to help the body absorb and conserve calcium, and it plays an important role in the formation of collagen, a substance important for bones and connective tissues including skin, tendon, and cartilage.

If there is too little lysine in the diet, kidney stones and other health related problems may develop including fatigue, nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite, agitation, bloodshot eyes, slow growth, anemia, and reproductive disorders. It is extremely rare, however, to obtain insufficient amounts of lysine through the diet. Generally, only vegetarians who follow a macrobiotic diet and certain athletes involved in frequent vigorous exercise are at risk for lysine deficiency. For vegetarians, legumes (beans, peas, and lentils) are the best sources of lysine.

Lysine is involved in the browning reaction, or carmelization, in foods such as pastries, doughnuts, cookies, and cereals. In this process, lysine and sugar become linked together in a way that makes lysine difficult for the body to absorb. As a result, a diet high in cereals and baked goods, especially those that contain a lot of simple sugars, can result in low lysine intake.

Uses:
Herpes and Shingles

L-lysine can be used to treat mouth and genital lesions caused by herpes simplex virus as well as shingles caused by herpes zoster viruses. Taking lysine supplements can speed recovery time and reduce the chance of recurrent breakouts of the herpes infection.

Osteoporosis

L-lysine helps improve the absorption of calcium from the digestive tract and prevent loss of calcium in the urine. In so doing, some researchers speculate that L-lysine may help prevent bone loss associated with osteoporosis. In addition, laboratory studies suggest that L-lysine in combination with L-arginine (another amino acid) increases the activity of bone-building cells and enhances production of collagen.

Other

Certain forms of lysine and lysine bound to anti-inflammatory medications (such as ibuprofen, or Advil) may help alleviate pain following an episiotomy (a procedure performed during labor that involves cutting the vaginal area to enlarge the vaginal opening and facilitate delivery). These forms of lysine may also relieve migraine headaches and painful periods. Whether L-lysine and other readily available lysine supplements also offer these benefits is not known.

Dietary Sources:
Good sources of lysine are foods rich in protein, including meat (specifically red meat, pork, and poultry), cheese (particularly parmesan), certain fish (such as cod and sardines), nuts, eggs, soybeans (particularly tofu, isolated soy protein, and defatted soybean flour), spirulina, and fenugreek seed.

Available Forms:
Lysine is available in tablets, capsules, creams, and liquids, and is usually sold in the L-lysine form.

How to Take It:
A health care provider can help determine whether your diet provides enough lysine. If your diet does not contain sufficient lysine, a health care provider may recommend lysine supplements as part of a complete amino acid replacement. Do not use lysine in children less than 2 years of age unless under the supervision of a health care provider.

Pediatric

For children ages 2 - 12: Recommendations are 23 mg/kg/day or 10 mg per pound of body weight daily.

Adult

For adults ages 13 and older: Recommendations are 12 mg/kg/day.

For adults with herpes viral infections: To treat symptoms, take 3,000 9,000 mg per day in divided doses. To prevent recurrences, take 500 1,500 mg per day in divided dosages.

Precautions:
Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, dietary supplements should be taken only under the supervision of a knowledgeable health care provider.

Possible Interactions:
If you are currently being treated with any of the following medications or supplements, you should not use lysine supplements without first talking to your health care provider.

Arginine -- Arginine and lysine share common pathways in the body. Therefore, excess arginine may lower lysine levels in the body.

Alternative Names:
Amino acid K; L-lysine

Reviewed last on: 9/9/2008
A.D.A.M. Editorial Team: David Zieve, MD, MHA, Greg Juhn, MTPW, David R. Eltz. Previously reviewed by Steven D. Ehrlich, NMD, private practice specializing in complementary and alternative medicine, Phoenix, AZ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by Ernest B. Hawkins, MS, BSPharm, RPh, Health Education Resources (5/14/2007).
Supporting Research
Bruzzese N, Sica G, Iacopino F, et al. Growth inhibition of fibroblasts from nasal polyps and normal skin by lysine acetylsalicylate. Allergy. 1998;53:431434.

Civitelli R, Villareal DT, Agnusdei D, Nardi P, Avioli LV, Gennari C. Dietary L-lysine and calcium metabolism in humans. Nutrition. 1992;8(6):400-405.

De los Santos AR, Marti MI, Espinosa D, Di Girolamo G, Vinacur JC, Casadei A. Lysine clonixinate vs. paracetamol/codeine in postepisiotomy pain. Acta Physiol Pharmacol Ther Latinoam. 1998;48(1):5258.

Di Girolamo G, Zmijanovich R, de los Santos AR, Marti ML, Terragno A. Lysine clonixinate in the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea. Acta Physiol Pharmacol Ther Latinoam. 1996;46(4):223-232.

Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005. Rockville, MD: US Dept of Health and Human Services and US Dept of Agriculture; 2005.

Fini M, Torricelli P, Giavaresi G, Carpi A, Nicolini A, Giardino R. Effect of L-lysine and L-arginine osteoblast cultures from normal and osteopenic rats. Biomed Pharmacother. 2001;55(4):213-220.

Flodin NW. The metabolic roles, pharmacology, and toxicology of lysine. J Am Coll Nutr. 1997;16:721.

Furst P. Dietary L-lysine supplementation: a promising nutritional tool in the prophylaxis and treatment of osteoporosis. Nutrition. 1993;9(1):71-72.

Griffith RS, Walsh DE, Myrmel KH, Thmpson RW, Behforooz A. Success of L-lysine therapy in frequently recurrent herpes simplex infection. Treatment and prophylaxis. Dermatologica. 1987;175(4):183-190.

Hugues FC, Lacoste JP, Danchot J, Joire JE. Repeated doses of combined oral lysine acetylsalicylate and metoclopramide in the acute treatment of migraine. Headache. 1997;37:452454.

Krymchantowski AV, Barbosa JS, Cheim C, Alves LA. Oral lysine clonixinate in the acute treatment of migraine: a double-blind placebo-controlled study. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2001;59(1):46-49.

Schmeisser DD, Kummerow FA, Baker DH. Effect of excess dietary lysine on plasma lipids of the chick. J Nutr. 1983;113(9):1777-1783.

Singh BB, Udani J, Vinjamury SP, et al., Safety and effectiveness of an L-lysine, zinc, and herbal-based product on the treatment of facial and circumoral herpes. Altern Med Rev. 2005;10(2):123-7.

Tfelf-Hansen P. The effectiveness of combined oral lysine acetylsalicylate and metoclopramide in the treatment of migraine attacks. Comparison with placebo and oral sumatriptan. Funct Neurol. 2000;15(Suppl 3):196-201.

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. 1997- 2009 A.D.A.M., Inc.

o

Danielle, I am so sorry to hear about this! I hope you get some relief soon. I look forward to meeting you and your mother on Saturday.

o
Spring Trade May 16th 2009

Mon, May 11, 09 at 11:59

Here are my trades so far...

Pam-3 - Epimedium for pink muhly grass (will this still work?)

Bmmalone - Black Arum for coneflowers & dianthus

turkeytaker - white ginger lily & golden oregano for catnip & purple beebalm

Frannyflowers - iris & Jap. Anemone for pink obedient plant & Becky daisies

Amybabyboy3 - pink Anemone, var. Solomon Seal, Black Arum for foxglove, sweet william & phlomis

Vroomp - I have you bringing me some Mexican petunias - but what would you like from me?

vnginger - pink yarrow, LA iris, pink Japanese Anemone, Helleborus, Epimedium, Black Arum, creeping golden thyme, & golden oregano for Ostrich fern, Passion vine, Jap. climbing fern, & Forsythia

squirrellypete - red hardy amaryllis for 'David' phlox

Please let me know if I have missed someone. And thanks to all.

o

we're set, janen.

o

Lucy -- I didn't have any lilac cuttings. Maybe you have me confused with someone else? If there's something else on my list you'd like let me know. I can bring you some purple hardy geranium and I'd love one of your bluish hosta if you have any left.

Esh and Pam -- thank you for your well wishes!

Vroomp -- thank you so much for all the info on L-Lysine, I was not aware of it. I copied it and will definitely look into this and ask my doctor about it as well. It's good to have as much info as possible and I'd definitely like to keep this from happening again. The only doctor I've seen so far was at the emergency room and he did not go into any depth about supplements, etc...that could possibly aid in my recovery or with prevention in the future. I'm going to follow up with my regular doctor and discuss it further with him this week. I did find a wealth of info on the internet about the condition and there are many supplements, especially some B vitamins that are thought to be beneficial for nerve health and regrowth for Bell's palsy patients so I have started on those in addition to the prescribed meds.

Danielle

o

Janen, if you still have the Black Arum, I will take as many as you wish to part with. They will go well with my Sauromatum venosums. Let me know how many Mexican Petunias you would like. I am potting in one gallon containers.

o

• Posted by mk87 7b/8a (My Page) on
    Mon, May 11, 09 at 18:45

esh -- Thank you! Blooms or no blooms, at least THIS year, I'll know what to do with them, to keep them around to bloom again NEXT year! LOL (You should see the ones that I didn't dig up and toss out...they are just full and gorgeous and blooming like mad!) :)

bmmalone -- I unlocked my email on my profile...would you mind sending directions and all of that stuff?

Hubby and I are looking forward to hopefully meeting a few of the great gardeners I get so much advice from here on GW!

o

Danielle -I'm sorry to hear this and hope you are better soon.

Janen - Do you still have epimedium? Or if not, some red amaryllises, If so would you still be interested in foxgloves? I have Faerie Queen.

o

Mon, May 11, 09 at 19:53

vroomp - Black Arum for you, 1 pot of Mex. petunias sounds great. Thank you.

botanicat - Epimedium & red amaryllis for you, foxgloves would be great. Thanks

o

Danielle,
Hope you feel better and it clears up super fast. Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday! Take care, Amy

o

MK87 - I cannot access your email. There is no email on your page.
Danielle - hope you feel better soon.

o

I forwarded the directions to mk87. Hope that was what you wanted, bmmalone!

o

Amy...
The red star hibiscus and black elephant ear sounds great. I'll brink the husker red and alstromeria.

Botanicat...will bring hostas. The glads and possibly a dogwood will be appreciated

Danielle,
I'm sorry to hear what's going on but look forward to seeing you Sat. Will bring the bluish hosta - the purple hardy geranium sounds good.

Turkeytaker...I believe you had the Lilac cuttings. If I have anything you want and a lilac remains I'd love to have it.

o

This is my list so far. Please let me know if I missed anyone:

Esh- bee balm

Pam- phlomis, red texas star hibiscus

Janen- phlomis, foxglove, sweet william

Turkeytaker- golden moneywort

Botanicat- naked lady lilys and purple sedum

Vroomp- sedum

vnginger- aguilar dk purple columbine, candy mint , naked lady lily bulbs

Danielle-dk purple columbine, foxglove

Barbara- wisteria

whoopie- Scabiosa, basil and nicotiana

LucyAtlanta- red star hibiscus, black elephant ear

If I forgot anything please let me know. Thank you, Amy

o

My trade list so far:

Danielle -- purple irises, rose cuttings, and tomatoes for butterfly bush, hydrangea, and Pandora's box daylily

Amybabyboy -- rose cuttings for purple sedum and belladonna lily

Barbara -- Faerie queen foxgloves for dianthus

Esh - Tagetes lucida for native azalea

Lucyatlanta -- glads and dogwood for hostas

Janen -- foxgloves for amaryllis and epimedium

Let me know if I missed something.

Also, I have a small hickory which grew from a squirrel-planted seed in a pot. Don' t know what kind it is. It's probably about 18" tall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here