Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcy72_gw

HAVE: Spring plant trade

Marcy72
17 years ago

Hey all, I thought it might be a good idea to start a new post for trades, since the other one is getting kinda lengthy and I'm sure everybody's sick of scrolling down through all the posts.

Anyway, I have 2 boston ivies to trade now, and 2 eucalyptus. We're starting to change out all the plants at work now for summer ones, so I'm sure I'll have lots more in the next few weeks. Oh, and I have a couple of cannas, and some akuba (however you spell that).

am looking for a little germander, and as always am looking for lots of mazus, pachsandra, creeping fig, strawberries, neat shade plants, native azaleas, and good perennials for sun (especially that tall blue veronica). and paving stones for a path.

wenny, i'd love to trade for your japanese anemone, salvia guaranitica, and new dawn rose.

Can't wait to see everyone in two weeks!

Comments (118)

• Kathy Bochonko
    17 years ago

tigger2715 I saw in the "directions" thread that you live in Cumming, so do I. Email me if you want to. I have had a lot of erosion/slope issues in the 3+ years I have been here from IL we probably have a lot to talk about.

• mairenn
    17 years ago

kathyga, cool, can I have bluestar creeper? and I have some little blue-purple crocus, maybe tommies (honestly I don't remember) if you'd be willing to trade for the myosotis.

marcy, do you want some dragon wing begonia for your shade garden? i have one bit rooted already. i also have oxalis to spare, pink, and then a dark-leaf one with white blooms.

pins, i have a mum you could have some root divisions of - not hot salsa, I don't think, but peach with darker orange centers. hoping to trade it for a hydrangea and/or italian arum.

farmerpickle, if you are still out there, i have 3 different small to dwarf canna and some sweet autumn clematis. would you be willing to trade for the Paul's Himalayan? if not, maybe the grape hyacinths, lycoris, or alabama crimson?

plants4meuc, I have lunaria seed but not plants, and the ubiquitous sweet autumn clematis. love to have a pussy willow and/or butterfly ginger.

• farmerpickle
    17 years ago

Hi Mairenn, I emailed you didn't seem like you got it. But yes paul's Himalayan Rose and honeysuckle alabama crimson for for your canna 2 foot coral with purple leaves and Praetoria. Dose that work?

garischa 7 I got you down for your Bishop's weed. The Fiveleaf Akebia Vine Chocolate Vine didn't make it.

I have some white plastic trelis you can see it on my webshot/under member page, rose, new dawn rose. The trelis fell of from one of the tornato so I'm going to bring them.

• hdmchandler
    17 years ago

Hey guys! I am still hoping I'm not too late. I've been without an internet connection and was freaking out thinking I was going to have to miss this trade afterall. Please everyone forgive me for jumping in only days before the trade. Can you guys still work with me?

What I Have to Trade
    purple, yellow, & mauve-pink iris
    native red/yellow columbine
    mountain mint
    pink obedient plant
    burning bush
    green and gold
    native ginger
    hardy ageratum
    native geraniums
    horsetail grass
    maiden grass
    sea oats
    passionflower
    red honeysuckle
    partridgeberry
    tall pink garden phlox
    tall white garden phlox 'David'?
    grape mahonia
    reseeding impatiens
    red hot poker
    unknown perennial sunflower
    Johnny jump ups
    plume poppies
    blue star amsonia
    oxalis
    blue eyed grass
    a bucket of Moisture Mizer crystals
    lots of 3-4" plastic pots, round & square

What I'm Looking For
    Homestead Red verbena
    yellow swamp hibiscus
    monkshood
    white spiderwort, heck, blue too
    red yarrow
    rhubarb
    elephant ears-any
    any large leaved plants (leaves at least as big as your hand)
    red lantana
    winter honeysuckle
    perennial herbs
    ruellia
    baptisia
    red passionflower
    white creeping phlox
    named violets, daylilies, hostas
    practically any large shrubs
    plants/shrubs for heavy clay in full sun
    plants/shrubs for sandy soil in part shade
    plants in the white, red, and blue-to-purple spectrums

Heck, there really isn't much I wouldn't take. I'll try anything once and I'm just getting started with this plant collecting stuff. I see you guys toss these named varieties around and I'm like, "I don't know what it is yet, but I want some!"

I'll try to skim through the posts and get in touch with some of you on Tuesday. Looking forward to it!

Heather

• mairenn
    17 years ago

fpickle, it's a go! i think that email went to my old addy before I updated.

all, my 15 year old would like to know if she sends some of her purple-leaf white oxalis, can she have some herbs? perennial would be good, she wants to do a window box. she can't come herself, she has a journalism event. she divided and repotted it herself, I'm so proud:)

heather, would you be willing to trade mahonia, amsonia, obedient plant, ginger, and/or any of your other stuff for any of the following:

Firepower nandina (still small but will get around 3 feet and like full sun - definitely in the red spectrum:) I have several.

Giant purple-leaf canna with red blossoms - heavy clay, full sun, leaves as big as your hand:)

empress tree - either a huge tree with purple flowers, OR you can cut it back every year to make a shrub of your desired height, with leaves as big as your head. which prevents it from seeding, if you are worried about invasive tendencies.

yellow Florida canna - full sun, spreads quickly, about 3 feet high with bright green leaves, will handle any soil you got:)

blue spiderwort..

it's almost saturday, it's almost saturday....(doing happy dance:)

• garischa
    17 years ago

Heather - I would love some of your native red/yellow columbine and maybe also partridgeberry. Please look over my list of haves (in the earlier thread). I think from your wanted list, I only have hostas. I can email you a list/photos of the hostas.

Thanks.
    Uli (garischa)

• WestEnder
    17 years ago

After our plant trade on Saturday I'm planning to keep driving east to Crawford Georgia to the ninth annual Old Timey Seed Swap at Agrarian Connections Farm. I also plan to make a pit stop in Winterville, Georgia at Thyme after Thyme (it's on the way). The seed swap starts at 3 pm and goes until 8 pm and includes a potluck and BBQ (donations needed for the BBQ)as well as music, storytelling, log cabin raising, dancing, and other activities. I've never been to it before but I'm very interested in learning more about the Southern Seed Legacy and meeting some of the people involved in collecting heirloom farm plants and seeds. If anyone would like to ride with me, I'll have room in my car for 1 to 3 people, depending on how many plants y' all force me to take from the Gardenweb plant trade. My plan right now is to take very few. We'd be getting back to Decatur/Atlanta late, maybe not until 11:00. But I think it will be fun, so if anyone else is interested in just making a day of it, let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Timey Seed Swap

• patienceplus
    17 years ago

Mairenn - I'll bring a fern and daylilies - do you still have any sweet autumn clematis?

GGG - How many ferns would you like? I would love to trade for just about anything on your list - any of the sedums, or the salvia (is there any left?)

hdmchandler - would you like to trade for the sea oats? I have Christmas ferns, daylilies, and I could part with an elephant ear.
    If anyone has rosemary, I would love to trade.

And...can someone send me directions? I posted on the directions post, but I haven't gotten a response - maybe my email is putting stuff in spam.

Thanks!

• plants4meuc
    17 years ago

Mairenn,
    It's a trade.

Cathie

• DianeGA
    17 years ago

Hdmchandler,
    I'd be interested in your white phlox if it's mildew resistant... that's why I'm looking for David. No time for spraying with a baby & toddler. Do you have more than one? Also, I'm interested in 4 or 5 impatiens if you have that many. Do you like anything on my list?

Marienn,
    Yes, it's centaurea dealbata. I was out looking at it & it's an awfully big clump, so I'll take a division from it if that's ok. And I'll bring some ice plant, sedum & lamb's ear.

BTW, I think the sedum is the same as what I saw at Home Depot yesterday. I didn't have a pencil to write down the name, but it was something unusual like Katschmican... or something like that. Any sedum lovers know which one? Else, I'll bring a pencil on my next HD outing.

Vroomp, did you still have any Black & Blue? I drowned mine last year... but I have a drier spot to try.

Lindagail, did you still have Endless Summer or False Blue Indigo (if it's the dark blue)?

Did anyone winter sow herbs? I forgot to start mine & would love any teeny sprouts you can spare.

• mairenn
    17 years ago

dianega, the division will be fine.

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Patience Plus:
    I can bring you 4 4" cups of sedum and some blue salvia (I'm not sure which I will have for you: either black and blue or the species, guarantica).... I'm not sure how large your ferns are. Please bring what you deem appropriate for trade. I'm happy with one, or more if you have it. Thank-you!!

EVERYONE: since I am running around Sat. AM before the plant trade (I may not be there until 11:30, sorry in advance for that!!), I need to know all trades to give by Thursday PM since I need to finish all potting up and organizing my boxes to go out on Friday.

THANK YOU ALL!

GGG

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Heather, besides what we talked about trading, I can have for you an Elephant ear (they are behind, but should come...)
    and I would like a native columbine please.

GGG

• hdmchandler
    17 years ago

Hello all and thanks for working me in so last minute.

I have sent email to the following folks since jumping back in. Some went directly to you and others went through the GardenWeb form thingie...it's the latter I especially want to make sure have gone through.

Squirrellypete, GGG, marcy72, garisha, Kathy_z7, mairenn, dianega, and patienceplus.

Also, in case I forgot to mention, all my stuff for trade is currently in the ground. I usually dig the day before the trade and put the plants directly in those plastic Wal Mart type bags for transporting. Hope that is ok with everyone.

See you all soon.

Heather

• vroomp
    17 years ago

Dianega, no one else has asked for the Salvia so you may have it.

• whoopie
    17 years ago

Would anyone like any pond plants. I have

Pickerel
    Palm plants
    Water Hycents

I am bringing

Swamp dasies
    Spiderwhort
    Varigated hostas
    Turks cap lilies
    Bee balm
    White phlox
    Mock orange
    Ginger
    Chocolate mint
    Companula
    Cranesbill geranium
    Hardy begonia
    Evening primrose
    - and a few others -

• DianeGA
    17 years ago

Heather,
    I didn't see your email, can you post your request here? Maybe my email filter blocked it.

If anyone else sent me an email & hasn't heard from me, better post it here because I've responded to all that I've gotten so far.

Vroomp,
    Thanks! Can I interest you in anything from my list?

• whoopie
    17 years ago

Is anyone bringing rasberry plants, fig, elderberry, catnip or fennel?

• pins2006
    17 years ago

Whoopie, could I get a turk's cap lily and a mock orange?

Thanks,

Carmen

• Marcy72
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lessee if i can catch up, now :)

patience, i would be interested in lamb's ear, and irises;

diane, i would be interested in any of the following: strawberry candy daylily, iris, bath's pink dianthus. i have some candytuft you can have, but i'm not sure what else i have that you're looking for;

heather, did you get my email? also, i'm drooling over pink iris, native geraniums, any and all phlox, and blue star amsonia, off your list :) i have some shrubs, i think- nandina for sure, if you're interested in that, and some rosemary?

whoopie, i'd love some turk's cap lilies, hostas if they're not the super-common kind, campanula, bee balm, spiderwort, phlox, cranesbill genaium, and/or any pond plants that would live in shade. (i don't want much, do i?) i can give you a few baby raspberry plants; anything else i have that interests you?

and then, i also have to trade away: several rosemaries that need a bit of tlc; 2 matching palms, maybe 3 feet tall; a few of The Fairy rose; 2 boston ivies; and if there was a very very good trade to be had, a large camellia bush, potted, in maybe a 7- or 10-gallon container, with bright pink flowers in the spring.

• patienceplus
    17 years ago

marcy72 - will bring lamb's ears - did you want both the bearded purple and the white dutch iris?

hdmchandler - didn't get an email - could you post here? I think my email is kicking things to spam.

GGG - sounds great - the ferns are pretty well established clumps - my mom's house is being sold, and the new owners are going to tear them out.

whoopie - I would love a turk's cap if you have any left.

• bmmalone
    17 years ago

whoopie, if there are any left i wouldlove some Swamp dasies
    Spiderwhort
    Varigated hostas
    Turks cap lilies
    Chocolate mint

not sure what you would like, I have artemesia, nastursm, yellow iris, and some ferns. let me know

• mairenn
    17 years ago

whoopie, I have elder, american kind. I can bring at least a couple, so let me know how many you need. I'd love to have mock orange if you have one left, bee balm, primrose or turk's cap.

bmmalone, i could use some artemisia (gray not green:), do I have anything you want?

Still seeking perennial herbs, for me AND my daughter:)marcy, maybe we could substitute a few of those rosemaries for a mahonia or two.

ggg, let me know if you want that winter jasmine (nudiflorum) or not.

• garischa
    17 years ago

Farmerpickle -
    what can I bring you in exchange for the bishop's weed? I don't think I have anything on your wanted list, except I could bring you cuttings of a variegated hydrangea. They won't be rooted, but I could cut them right before the trade on Saturday and bring them.
    Please let me know.
    Uli (garischa)

• gottahosta
    17 years ago

Hi!

All those I'm trading with, your plants will be in boxes with your names on them. Anything I get in trade from you, please ask Marcy where to put it! Hopefully all together in one spot- I know it get busy and crazy!! I will pick up your trades next week sometime.

I'm also bringing for free trade about 15 potted-up Wood Poppies and a box full of loose Creeping Jenny, with some plastic bags- just take what you want- even sprigs w/o roots will grow. Only get 1-2" high and bright yellow in sun.

Have fun- I'll miss ya'll!

Brenda

• plants4meuc
    17 years ago

mairenn, I have some Oregano I can pot up for you and your daughter.

Cath

• DianeGA
    17 years ago

Marcy72,
    I looked up your trade list & am interested in: heliotrope, lemon thyme, petunias (in that order). Want to throw in some of those along with the candy tuft? I can bring the items you requested.

Whoopie, I'm interested in cranesbill geranium & white phlox (is it creeping or tall?). Do you see anything on my list that you'd like?

Heather, I still haven't received an email from you. If you still want to trade, better post it here as I will be digging tomorrow.

• Marcy72
    Original Author
    17 years ago

patience: yes, both would be wonderful... i have a rosemary if you like- you were looking for those, yes?

dianega: i didn't realize my trade list was so outdated- unfortunately i no longer have any of those :( what i have left is: fan palms (2), rosemary, eucalyptus, decorative grass (unknown type, very short and sort of sandy-colored), boston ivy, The Fairy rose, one well-rooted red hybrid tea rose (still working on an ID, but i have several examples of the grown-up plant blooming right now), decorative ivy, possibly some ferns. does any of that interest you at all?

• mairenn
    17 years ago

kay, here goes, just to make sure I haven't missed anything, this is what i am bringing.

If you aren't on here, and you should be, or I left something off or got it wrong, tag quick! I am digging tomorrow. everything not otherwise specified is rooted.

marcy: sweet autumn clematis, citrus, dragon wing begonia, oxalis, spiderwort, and morning glory seeds, plus cumin if you want it.

squirrellypete: sweet autumn clematis, flowering pear, and spiderwort, and creeping gardenia cutting.

ggg: mondo grass, sedum, and jasminum nudiflorum.

westender: snapdragon, dianthus and sunflower seed.

dianega: 3-4 August Beauties and some creeping gardenia cutting.

tigger: yellow cannas, August Beauty, sun annual seeds.

kathyga: weeping willow cutting.

pins: peach garden mum.

patienceplus: sweet autumn clematis.

farmerpickle: Pretoria and dwarf canna, purple with salmon bloom

plants4: lunaria seed and sweet autumn clematis

heather: spiderwort, big purple canna, empress tree, yellow canna, creeping gardenia cutting.

whoopie: elderberry.

special trade for anyone offering perennial herbs: Teenager-grown white oxalis. (come on guys, donate to the cause, let's raise another gardener:)

for general trade (if I get them dug AND what my neighbor doesn't snag on the way to the car:) :

rudbeckia, probly Goldsturm.
    pink indian hawthorn
    spare flowering pear
    nandina Firepower
    empress tree
    Cherokee rose
    pink oxalis
    MORE yellow cannas (there will always be more yellow cannas....sigh)
    more creeping gardenia cutting

Houston, do we have lift-off?:)

• Kathy Bochonko
    17 years ago

Carmen, I would love the Itea cuttings, Annabelle cuttings, snowdrops and Japanese Anemone and I'll bring you the red salvia (but I found the tag it is actually "purple knockout" but the foliage is rather burgandy tinged, rose campion, balloon flowers and some myosotis)

Glynis I will bring you the mondo if I can get ahold of my neighbor tomorrow to let me did it up.

Marien I will bring you bluestar creeper and some myosotis and would love the blue-purple crocus.

Also I posted some of these requests on the old thread after this one had started and never heard replies on some so I am reposting it here--

I am also looking for limelight Hydrangea and a Penny Mac. If so email me and I will see what I may have from your "wishlist" A lot of what I have is stuff I can steal a little of if requested, but I probably won't dig up for the genral trade. I am really unorganized this year so I still don't have much of a list put together, I won't be bringing a whole lot, but that is my focus for this week, getting things potted up to trade. I have my trades on "my page." Here are the things I would like that you all have offerred let me know what you would like in return if you have any of this left.

Pins do you still have any of the variuos rooted hydrangea cuttings? I would love a Penny Mac as I mentioned as well as an Annabelle Beautyberry would also be wonderful.

Glynis do you still have any of the wierd Euphorbia you mentioned? Also interested in some of the Van Sion Daffs and Santa Barbara Daisy, I can bring you some various camelia cuttings and Becky shasta daisy as well as a baby red tinged hens and chicks.

Linda Gail I have some lemon verbena if you still need it and I think you mentioned hostas, I have some unnamed varigated ones. I would love any of the following that you still have available Spanish bluebells, minature iris, Strawberry Shamrock, Ninebark, Jasmine "winter Beauty"

Barb still have extra Mazus? I would love what you can spare.

RDhanson-- If they are still available I am interested in magnolia saplings and oakleaf Hydrangea cuttings (any really but specifically Pee Wee)

• Kathy Bochonko
    17 years ago

Almost forgot I have some orange trumpet vine seedlings and some kind of cool succulent that is not hardy and I have no idea what it is called. Marcy gave it to me at the fall trade and I have many babies to offer. Marcy do you know what it is called (they were in 2 1 gallon pots)

• mairenn
    17 years ago

ack! Westender, I can't find my sunflower seeds. found every other seed i've ever saved, so I can only think....well, I do have a teenage boy in the house.

no, that can't be it, because then I would have found the empty bag crumpled in the corner on the floor:) so who knows.

i could double the dianthus...or?

• patienceplus
    17 years ago

Marcy72 - both colors coming right up - the rosemary would be appreciated very much. If it's okay, the iris will be bare root, in a bag - that way they won't rot.

• DianeGA
    17 years ago

Marcy72, do you have several of the candytuft for trade? BTW, I just read that there are both annual & perennial candytuft...which one is this? And maybe a small rosemary? Thanks!

• mairenn
    17 years ago

westender, found 'em after all. they were hiding in a pile for dried arrangements:)

• hdmchandler
    17 years ago

Diane, from your list I'd like the 'Big Blue' liriope, as much as you can spare. Just want to verify that this is the one that gets BIGGER than plain ole' liriope, right? The red dianthus would be nice also if still available.

I have you down for 'David' phlox and some impatiens.

Hope you get this in time!

Heather

• squirrellypete
    17 years ago

Diane, I just rooted a couple of 'Purity' perennial Candytuft. It's supposed to be evergreen or semi-evergreen. Cuttings are only a couple of inches long but have nice roots. I can bring you one if you'd like.

Squirrellypete

• Tricia
    17 years ago

Heather,

I have Monkshood if you want some. I haven't dug it out of the ground yet but I can dig out a hunk today and bring it if you still want it. I'd accept a passionflower in exchange. I'll email you directly in case you don't look back before the swap.
    Tricia

• DianeGA
    17 years ago

Danielle, I'd love some rooted candytuft! Thanks!

Heather, I don't know what size "plain ol' liriope" is... but you can google Big Blue & see if that's the size you want. Let me know soon... I'll check back before digging.

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Kathy, I no longer need the becky daisies, but yes for everything else. I have everything you wanted plus I think you asked for another one or two items...anyway, it's all boxed up for you!

GGG

• lindagail41
    17 years ago

Sorry, Diane,
    Endless Summer and baptisia are gone. The baptisia was a medium blue. These winter sow wonderfully. I will save seeds this year and have plenty at the fall trade.
    Linda Gail

• vroomp
    17 years ago

Wildflower and Snoogie, bad news. The Dutchman's Pipe Vine seeds I had saved do not seem to be viable. I had thought the pods were a bit small when the first frost hit them but I left them a little longer to see if they would develope further. All the seeds I have started have failed to sprout and the remaining seeds grew some kind of fungus or mold. I will try my hand at cuttings this year to see if I can propagate them.

GottaHosta, my Spider Lillies have yet to show their faces. Amaryllis are mixed with them and they have come up only in the past week or so and I have the uncanny ability to shear bulbs in half when digging them up unless I know right where they are. I will happily dig you a couple when they show themselves. I travel all around Metro Atlanta in my work so I can deliver to a wide range of areas. See me at the trade.

For everyone else I have your trades ready to go...........

I think!

• DianeGA
    17 years ago

Vroomp, I didn't hear back if you wanted something from my list...? Anything?

• Kathy Bochonko
    17 years ago

Okay so let me know if I have forgot your trade please

I have--
    Marcy Ajuga, Lorapetulum (big one), Chocolate mint, Golden oregano, veronica

Heather- Chicago Royal daylily, myosotis

GGG- Mondo grass, Red hens & chicks baby

VRoomp- Creeping fig

Danielle- Burg bearded iris, Chicago Royal Daylily, Huecheras

Carmen- Purple knockout sage, Rose campion, Balloon flowers, Myosotis

Brenda- Columbine, Hyacinth bean

Marien- Bluestar creeper, Myosotis

Cath- Bluestar Creeper, Forsythia

Linda Gail- Lemon Verbena, Hostas

Let me know if it was you or if I have forgotten anything else.

• farmerpickle
    17 years ago

Does the plant swap start at 11:30 tommorrow? I'm leaving class at 10:45 and might be bit late. Wenny

• Marcy72
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey all, I now have two small palms to trade, and two lavendars. Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow!

• Tricia
    17 years ago

Nuts, I don't think I will be able to make it tomorrow. I will figure out another way to get the plants to the people who asked for specific things. So sorry.

• Marcy72
    Original Author
    17 years ago

also, diane, i only have the one candytuft, but i've got it and a rosemary set aside for you.

getting excited- two people have dropped their trades off already :)

• hdmchandler
    17 years ago

Diane, yes to the Big Blue.

Snoogie, I would take a Monkshood if you're going to drop stuff off anyway. Otherwise do not sweat it. I have a source I can take cuttings from.

And Kathy, I did locate some of the stuff I had previously said was unavailable. Lucky you.

And Marcy, I will bring the stuff I was supposed to take pics off and you can take it or nix it on the spot. I have no problem paying it forward.

• patienceplus
    17 years ago

Marcy - I would love a lavender - would you like a fern?

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County